New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY

Yavar Moradi

I liked the Isham well enough, the Goldsmith is OK, too, sounds just like one of those small-scale thriller and drama scores he was churning out back then. Very base material, spare ensemble, chugging synths along the way. It's not overly exciting, but today it gets added to the collection as another puzzle part. Back in 1992/1993 i can understand how people might have shrugged but for a movie as unimportant as The Public Eye, i would have kept it without second thoughts. 

• 1 year later...

New episode up with Jeff Bond. I'm a little over half way. When I'm done I'll quibble about who is The Beatles and who is The Rolling Stones (the pod says Willams is The Stones, Jerry is The Beatles). They frame it in terms of versatility. In almost every other metric (popularity, recognizability for example) I think it's the other way around.

But no one would argue that Goldsmith was the more versatile composer, or at least that he had the opportunity to show that he was. IMHO of course.

Anyway, really good so far.

*David says 😉 (and frames)

Yavar likes both bands fine but is agnostic on this issue. We at The Goldsmith Odyssey are not (always) a hive mind!

Really glad you’re enjoying the podcast episode! Here’s a link for anyone who wants one:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/12816895-production-report-the-jerry-goldsmith-companion-by-jeff-bond

Yavar

Wait is Jeff's book finally out now?  I feel like it was announced years ago at this point

Not as long of a delay as Doug Adams' 2nd and 3rd book delays but still

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Wait is Jeff's book finally out now?  I feel like it was announced years ago at this point

Production Report episodes of The Goldsmith Odyssey are for things that aren't out yet. The focus is on the production of the thing being discussed.

Soundtrack Spotlights on the other hand are about completed and available albums people can purchase, where the production element is all finished.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Not as long of a delay as Doug Adams' 2nd and 3rd book delays but still

What are these? A Music of the Hobbit Films book and?

Yavar

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I’m not sure why you have that feeling. It was announced exactly one year ago — here’s the official FSM announcement thread from Creature Features Publishing:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=147139&forumID=1&archive=0

(Of course it was in the works for over two years before that… the bulk of it was written during Covid lockdown in 2020, though Jeff started doing some preliminary work in 2019. But the general public didn’t know about it until the Creature Features announcement thread linked above.)

Thanks for the Doug Adams book info!

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

There is a post credits conversation!

Yes, even a Jerry Goldsmith podcast eventual devolves to talking about Star Wars. :D

Hehehe yep, we couldn't resist sticking it on there as a bonus at the end.

Yavar