Anyone prefer a re-recording (different orchestra/conductor) to the film tracks (specific track/s)?

They tend to give a fuller orchestral sound to their JW re-recordings conpared to the OST tracks but also lose the thread in the process. Some of their Harry Potter stuff is really off, with the balance completely thrown off or stilted performances that lose the expression of the originals. Still lots of good stuff in there as well.

I find it interesting though. It sounds like their performances are mixed live but what it really sounds like is listening to a completely unmixed performance which is neat.

I'm not saying the recordings are without merits, but the uneven performances on the Silva Screen compilations annoys me. But the orchestra really has improved since they started recording film music in the 90s.

Are there any Silva Screen JW compilations with only new recordings? Not older than, say, ten years old?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 10:28 AM, TownerFan said:

It's much less than one tends to think, actually. JW's re-recorded OST albums (meaning a completely different recording made separately from the film recording sessions and made specifically for the record company) are mostly from the 1960s era, where it was very common to do so (Diamond Head, How to Steal a Million, Penelope, Not With My Wife You Don't, Fitzwilly) and a few from the 1970s (Earthquake, The Eiger Sanction, Jaws). All the other OSTs are made from the film recording sessions, usually with the addition of pieces arranged in concert-like form specifically for the album (i.e. Princess Leia's Theme from Star Wars, for example).

Isn't the Jane Eyre album also a complete re-recording?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't the Jane Eyre album also a complete re-recording?

No, it's not a re-recording. The album is a pretty good mix of album arrangements and score cues.

I think I documented all the "re-recorded" scores - known so far - on my discography (search for the keyword "re-recording").

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

For Example:

Star Wars Suite

Star Wars Main Title - Morton Gould, London Symphony Orchestra

Princess Leia's Theme - Morton Gould, London Symphony Orchestra

The Little People Work - Charles Gerhardt, National Philharmonic Orchestra

Here They Come - Varujian Kojan, Utha Symphony Orchestra

The Last Battle - Charles Gerhardt, National Philharmonic Orchestra

Throne Room And Finale - John Mauceri, Hollywood Bowl Orchestra or Erich Kunzel, CPO

Usually I try to buy this kind of CD digitally, but in the case of the 2007 Morton Gould compilation, I don't find any source where I can buy mp3 or FLAC. :mellow:

I'm waiting for your calls, I'll at the office all the day, thanks.

Better than the original? No, but my first album was a bootleg that I got in a furniture store checkout aisle at the age of ten. I think it was called "Music from Intergalactic Movies", or something like that. Using detective skills, I managed to track down the original album info as being recorded by the London Philharmonic by a Colin Frechter. While there's wacky Star Wars versions out there like Meco and etc., this is the weirdest "straight" take on Star Wars I have ever heard. This album seems to be really hard to find, too: I can only find one video of it that's not a "Topic" video (which I understand tends to be unavailable outside of the US).

It's not everything, but check this out! Particularly for Imperial Attack.

(I found some "Topic" videos that I'll post just in case non-US people can actually watch it)

Sounds like a dude tried really hard to follow the originals, but said, "Screw it, I can't keep up with that!" And went waaayyy off the path. All this said, though, I have a certain nostalgia for this album, and in a very real sense was a huge factor in my becoming a John Williams fan!

To paraphrase George W. Bush after Trump's inauguration speach - that's some weird shit. Why are there birds during Leia's theme?

I remember I had a CD of Frank Barber's (whoever that is) recordings of Star Wars, Close Encounters and E.T. The less said about it, the better. Thankfully, I don't own it anymore.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I remember I had a CD of Frank Barber's (whoever that is) recordings of Star Wars, Close Encounters and E.T. The less said about it, the better. Thankfully, I don't own it anymore.

I still do. From my "have to own every single John Williams related CD in creation" period (2001-2005).

I also have the Zubin Mehta SW/CE3K and 2 different budget re-issues of the Roy Budd/LSO Williams recordings.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the new rendition of Leia's Theme by the LSO and conducted by John Williams in the end credits of ROTS to any other recording I know of. My 2nd favorite recording is the version JW recorded on the Star Wars Trilogy album done at Skywalker Sound. 

• 2 years later...

THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE " Main Title".

THE GREAT DISASTER FILMS - Silva

On 3/6/2018 at 4:05 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

And a very good rerecording, in my opinion.

Are you guys illiterate?

The op asked for Re -recordings performed by DIFFERENT ORCHESTRAS on DIFFERENT RECORDINGS; not rerecorded ost versions by the composer!

"You guys......!"

1605679233681.jpg

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Are you guys illiterate?

The op asked for Re -recordings performed by DIFFERENT ORCHESTRAS on DIFFERENT RECORDINGS; not rerecorded ost versions by the composer!

I didn't claim that it was conducted by Bill Ross!

On 3/6/2018 at 8:49 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

The Patriot is indeed well executed, but the orchestral balance of the recording isn't satisfactory.

I also like this version a lot, but I think it is a bit too slow. Sounds like 2020 Williams conducting ;) And the famous trumpet entrance in this piece isn't loud enough.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:00 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Gerhardt's CE3K suite is indeed masterful!

A bit late to this party, but hey, why not?! I really love this version of the CE3K, not necessarily in preference to the original, which still sounds terrific, but Gerhardt's extended concert suite is a proper tone poem for this score, covering the majority of the thematic material. Shame there aren't more arrangements of Williams scores that condense them down into something resembling a proper symphonic form. I think ET could easily be adapted in a similar way, progressing from gentle to epic (and without that crappy edit to omit the bit where the bikes actually take off during the concert version of Adventures on Earth, surely JW's most heinous editing choice for a concert arrangement, particularly as he usually alludes to the bikes taking off when he talks about it beforehand...

But I digress, it's also a shame the extended CE3K suite/symphonic poem never gets performed at concerts as presumably it's not generally available for orchestras to rent. The existing suite is fine, but hardly does justice to the score.

4 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

A bit late to this party, but hey, why not?! I really love this version of the CE3K, not necessarily in preference to the original, which still sounds terrific, but Gerhardt's extended concert suite is a proper tone poem for this score, covering the majority of the thematic material. Shame there aren't more arrangements of Williams scores that condense them down into something resembling a proper symphonic form.

A bit late to this party, but hey, why not?! I really love this version of the CE3K, not necessarily in preference to the original, which still sounds terrific, but Gerhardt's extended concert suite is a proper tone poem for this score, covering the majority of the thematic material. Shame there aren't more arrangements of Williams scores that condense them down into something resembling a proper symphonic form.

You can say that again, brother!