Williams donates all his scores to Juilliard

Marian Schedenig

1 minute ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

The comments on that article are cancer. I can't stand snobs that can't handle the mention of Williams' name without feeling the need to accuse him of "copying".

And that's why he's decided to travel all the way to London to give a concert there for the first time in twenty years, surely...

Also, he obviously didn't do it out of the blue, but on the occasion of being awarded that medal thingy.

I've read this news earlier.

So, i don't understand here.

he won't have ANY copy of his work at his house?

let's say he wants to revisit or look something at a score..

By the way, how lucky those Juilliard students! :mellow:

Does that mean that Juilliard owns everything now? Does this mean we might see the cue sheets being released to the public to study?

Just now, filmmusic said:

I imagine that he knows a lot of his music by heart. When I saw him conduct The Imperial March at a concert, he didn't even open the score book.

They certainly won't now own what is technically the property of many different film studios, no.  They will be available to whatever public walks into the library/archives, same with materials at USC or UCLA.  I shouldn't presume though.  They could institute some ridiculous policy. 

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I wouldn't necessarily expect the donation to be instant. And I imagine he could still access easily access the scores if he wants to.

Also, it means that anyone interested in doing a restoration of Jane Eyre or Dracula could probably get access to any remaining materials Williams may have retained at Juilliard.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

that makes me wonder then, if there are some conditions in this donation.

eg. that the donation of the scores will take place after his death.

That wouldn't be unusual, but the article might have mentioned it (unless Williams also announced plans to drop dead right away).

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That wouldn't be unusual, but the article might have mentioned it (unless Williams also announced plans to drop dead right away).

I'm not sure such a morbid thing would be mentioned..

9 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The vast wealth of technique, approach and genius now available only to students, conductors and aspiring composers of the specific school

53 minutes ago, TGP said:

They will be available to whatever public walks into the library/archives, same with materials at USC or UCLA.  I shouldn't presume though.  They could institute some ridiculous policy.

So you may be right, or you may be wrong.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Here's the original source with the full article:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/John-Williams-to-Bequeath-Concert-and-Film-Scores-to-Juilliard-20180306

Juilliard's vice president for library and information resources, Jane Gottlieb, said: "The John Williams Music Collection will be an extraordinary resource for scholars, students, and all who are interested in understanding his career as a composer and conductor.

The John Williams Music Collection will be part of the Peter Jay Sharp Special Collections and Juilliard School Archives, which also include the Jennie Tourel, Soulima Stravinsky, and many other notable collections. The Special Collections are housed in the school's Lila Acheson Wallace Library. In appreciation of all of these generous donations, Juilliard exhibits materials from these collections on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I'm not sure such a morbid thing would be mentioned..

Why not? He's 86 years old, for crying out loud, and he's far nearer to the end of his life, than he is to the beginning.

Has JWfan become a web site for snowflakes?

How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?

Now you have something new, to think about. Carry on.

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

Why not? He's 86 years old, for crying out loud, and he's far nearer to the end of his life, than he is to the beginning.

Has JWfan become a web site for snowflakes?

How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?

Now you have something new, to think about. Carry on.

I didn't say anything about jwfan.

I meant the writers of the article wouldn't mention something like this.

I hope this access to the scores will finally debunk the idea that ‘Williams doesn’t really write his music all by himself’ which I still often hear in the academic music world.

I hope this will mean that some of his unreleased music will get to be performed in concert. Also can a complete DRACULA be rerecorded easily once it becomes Juliards property? 

2 hours ago, Remco said:

I hope this access to the scores will finally debunk the idea that ‘Williams doesn’t really write his music all by himself’ which I still often hear in the academic music world.

LOL, that is laughably not true heh

3 minutes ago, peter.anschutz said:

Well as an archivist-in-training, I guess I know where to keep my eyes peeled for job openings.

Hi my name's Wael..... lol

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Wonderfully classy move from Mr. Williams. 

Leaving it with an exclusive private corporation? Whatever. 

Go look at what Aaron Copland left at the Library of Congress, accessible to any peasant on the planet now that it’s being digitized. 

29 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Leaving it with an exclusive private corporation? Whatever. 

Go look at what Aaron Copland left at the Library of Congress, accessible to any peasant on the planet now that it’s being digitized. 

A fair point and example.

2 hours ago, ocelot said:

LOL, that is laughably not true heh

Hi my name's Wael..... lol

Wael likes his pie makers. (What a small world! It's me, Adervae, LOL)

5 hours ago, KK said:

What a lovely gesture. He really is a class act.

Indeed. I might even venture to say verily indeed.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

"Okay guys here's the recording sessions for every film I've ever composed in lossless 192khz 24-bit FLAC!"

"Will that work out for you guys? I don't want to mistakenly give you something you don't want. Can anyone confirm that they actually want those raw recordings that weren't micro-edited by me and my teams?"

Though 'all his scores' might be a relative term. I once looked up Goldsmith's scores on the Margaret Herrick Library and they were certainly there but sometimes only 5 or 6 cues from a single score. Certainly not comparable to a 38-cue bootleg.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Wael likes his pie makers. (What a small world! It's me, Adervae, LOL)

lol hi :)

Awesome gesture.

Would be great if this, in turn, led to the availability of some of his unreleased scores (particularly STORIA DI UNNA DONNA), which would then be used for recordings. But I'm guessing there's a clause of some kind which says they're only available for study, not to be used for recordings.

It's a great gift, especially for future music students and scholars. In recent years, JAKMS had many of his scores and sketches digitized for archival purposes, but it's great to know all of his manuscripts and sketchbooks will be archived (and I hope also catalogued) in one same place. I'm sure all the material will be eventually digitized too for a more convenient perusal.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Though 'all his scores' might be a relative term. I once looked up Goldsmith's scores on the Margaret Herrick Library and they were certainly there but sometimes only 5 or 6 cues from a single score. Certainly not comparable to a 38-cue bootleg.

I think that's because that was all the material that was available to donate. Keep in mind that most film composers (especially in the early days) saw their work as pure gebrauschmusik, so it's likely JW and Goldsmith didn't think it was necessary or convenient to save all their sketches for archival purposes. Lots of their early material is likely to be lost. Williams once said in an interview that his own attic where he stores material is "a huge clutter" (I'm sure he has people who help him archiving stuff, btw). Also, there's the problem of copyrights and property, as music written for any film is property of the studio or company that owns the film's rights.

4 hours ago, fililando said:

Do you think the scores will be available for Juillard students only? Or digitalized to accomodate Non-U.S. students? 

It would be nice if it was digitized that way. For now, any item in that library is available to students, and outsiders by appointment only