Who should Score Peter Jackson's Mortal Engines?

leeallen01

So... thoughts on who should score this? 

I doubt Howard Shore is interested, and wouldn't fit this film any way, from the sounds of the plot.

I fear it will be a generic composer, but I hope for someone who can build a new tapestry of a musical world. My pick would be Bear McCreary.

It looks like an overly CGI version of Mad Max Fury Road.

I think it is rude to Christian Rivers to call this "Peter Jackson's" Mortal Engines

4 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Christian Rivers? Isn't that the young chap with the sketch pad and pencil? How time flies!

His days of clean living and storyboarding are over.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:28 PM, Jay said:

I think it is rude to Christian Rivers to call this "Peter Jackson's" Mortal Engines

That's what the marketing is calling it, for name recognition

And technically he is producing it and he wrote it with Boyens and Walsh. And I'm sure he guided Christian while filming. 

6 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

And I'm sure he guided Christian while filming. 

That's quite an assumption to latch on to!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

That's quite an assumption to latch on to!

Really? I think it's pretty obvious. Jackson is the one really making the film. Rivers is great with what he did on LOTR and the Hobbit, but this is clearly a PJ production that he just chose not to direct. PJ has been developing this film for 9 years. And all of his production companies are making it. Christian Rivers literally works for PJ and has done for decades. 

Peter was also the producer on District 9, and you can’t really call that a Peter Jackson film. He gives the directors more than enough freedom.

"I always wanted to work with Ramin. It is a dream come true. His talent and artistry when creating rich musical accompaniment to diverse fantasy worlds of Westeros are unparalleled in this medium. We started out with this approach with Howard on Middle-earth films but now we're really taking it to the next level" - Peter Jackson

Karol

6 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

No orchestral music. The score should be a tapestry of samples of different types of engine, arranged by the top experts at Volkswagen.

We're all living in 2018 while Gloin is living in 3255.

• 2 months later...

My guess is Junkie XL after Conrad Pope wrote he has just finished conducting the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra for the composer's upcoming knockout score. There is only one director who would use NZSO for his movies. The relationship with Howard Shore is clearly over.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10214992927929607&id=1621614403

Well, I think Junkie's work on Fury Road was decent, it fit the tone well, if Jackson wants big drums and noise then he's found the right guy.

It's a shame the relationship between PJ and Shore broke down, but we shouldn't expect every big PJ film to automatically return to Shore's masterful hands. I think James Newton Howard would be a good fit for this.

They did.

Its not a Peter Jackson movie: he’s producing it. Does every film that Spielberg produce merit a Williams score. I’ll answer that for you with an example: Spielberg produced Transformers...

Well they still maintain a professional relationship, but all the indicators point to the Kong affair really got between them.

Some of the sequences, especially the dinosaur stampede, is absolutely cringe-worthy. And some of the special effects are just too overloaded. Peter Jackson has still not learned when less is more.

Absolutely. But as Chris Hartwell says one must not lose the forest for the trees.

If you are sad when Kong dies - than the movie worked, at its core. Everything else is besides the point. And Newton Howard’s score works very well, and I’m sure Shore’s would have, too.