Sound mixer Ren Klyce talks about mixing JW's music for The Last Jedi

TownerFan

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ren Klyce? So that's where they got the villain's name from (with a bit of -- if you'll excuse the pun -- mixing)!

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw that name! :lol:

Me too.

One of the fortunate things that occurred on this film was that Rian and producer Ram Bergman wanted to give John Williams as much time as possible so they started him really early. I think he had a year to compose, which was great. He could take his time and really work diligently through each sequence.

What a great luxury for JW!

The moments where the choice was made to remove the score completely, was that a hard sell for the director? Or, was he game to let go of the score in those effects-driven moments?
No, it wasn’t too difficult. There was one scene that we did revert on though. It was on Crait, and Rian wanted to get rid of the whole big music sequence when Leia sees that the First Order is approaching and they have to shut the giant door. There was originally a piece of music, and that was when the crystal foxes were introduced. So we got rid of the music there. Then we watched the film and Rian asked us to put that music back.

This is a bit unclear to me. Was the music accompanying the First Order's approach removed? I can't recall how it was at the cinema.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This is a bit unclear to me. Was the music accompanying the First Order's approach removed? I can't recall how it was at the cinema.

That line confused me too! I vaguely recall that sequence being silent, notably the introductory shot of the Crystal Foxes running across the salt plains. But it could just as easily have had music, can't remember!

Need to see the film again. :)

...and in Swedish... and in Danish. But not in Finnish! :)

34 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That line confused me too!

Probably just a typical case of the journalist not bothering to figure out what the interviewee really meant.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's saying that they reverted on removing the music...so the music is there. Maybe. I haven't seen the film. 

2 hours ago, Remco said:

All of these people mentioned in the interview should be carried over to Ep. IX!

Just not Rian Johnson please!

;)

5 hours ago, Alex said:

If you listen closely you can hear J.J. Abrams sobbing

IMG_5641.PNG

Tenés Claro, que loco chabón, jamás lo hubiera esperado acá

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

That line confused me too! I vaguely recall that sequence being silent, notably the introductory shot of the Crystal Foxes running across the salt plains. But it could just as easily have had music, can't remember!

Need to see the film again. :)

I think there's music when Rose and Finn crash land into the hanger but it was very hard to hear since the sound effects were very noisy.  I don't recall any music before that.

I haven't read the interview yet, so I'm not sure what exactly you guys are talking about, but here's the scene that seems to be in question...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xhYNlF99BeFeXTI4KKkWgU8x-_iwyGbP

7 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Tenés Claro, que loco chabón, jamás lo hubiera esperado acá

Yo necesitaba un SIM y Claro fue la primera compañía que busqué 😬

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

TLJ's sound mixing >>> the prequel's & TFA's sound mixing 

yeah and I watched the original trilogy on blu ray recently (in surround sound) and the music seemed much quieter than it used to  be. for example the music when yoda lifts the x-wing seemed like unnoticeable background music. Not sure how much they tampered with the sound mix since the theatrical release

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I haven't read the interview yet, so I'm not sure what exactly you guys are talking about, but here's the scene that seems to be in question...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xhYNlF99BeFeXTI4KKkWgU8x-_iwyGbP

So maybe for a little while they were continuing with the music out until Rose/Finn appeared or something, and then Johnson decided he wanted it back in for the attack.

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Not sure how much they tampered with the sound mix since the theatrical release

It's the freaking Star Wars blurays, what do you think? :lol:

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

Not sure how much they tampered with the sound mix since the theatrical release

I think Ben Burtt or Matthew Wood (both prequel sound designers) re-did the OT mixes from scratch for the 2004 DVD, hence their shitty treatment of Williams' scores.

Just like the prequels.

Loved the mixing on TLJ. Really hope we don't return to the shitty sound mix of TFA now that JJ's back in charge.

It's dreadful to think the Oscar-winning editing, sound mix and VFX of STAR WARS, one of the most popular and influential pieces in the history of American cinema only exist in semi-gray area fan restorations, and locked away in Lucasfilm's vaults and hard drives. The last official release is the '93 laserdisc, but that really doesn't reach the standard quality, and was already tampered with to a smaller extent for the nth time.

6 hours ago, ocelot said:

I've been saying for ages that TinTIn and The BFG are brilliant scores which shows Williams at his most inventive and with BFG almost impressionistic and light with his orchestrations.

Hornist, is that you? ;)

I don't think I've listened to The BFG outside of the time I watched the film in theaters (which I liked!). It seemed pleasant and warm, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything by ignoring the album.

I just didn't really feel compelled to seek out the music on its lonesome. There was never a moment in the movie where I thought, "Ah man, I need to check that out!" Perhaps this attitude is a contributing factor to the cracks in JWFan's seams...

You've listened to it, I presume?