Sound mixer Ren Klyce talks about mixing JW's music for The Last Jedi

TownerFan

You guys are crazy, but you know, we all love different things and that's cool of course :) To me the music when they go into dream land is just stunning. The main theme has a little Tchaikovsky feel to it and To Giant Country and Frollick are so much fun. He was on a completely different trip writing this and it was nice to hear. The movie itself is charming. The only thing I would have done different is had more of an actual fight with the giants at the end. seemed too easy. Other than that, Mark Rylance has to be one of the best actors working today. And we get the brilliant Penelope Wilton in there too.

Jackson has no excuse now. He's had years to get another Tintin off the ground but he's done nothing since the Hobbit three years ago.

Williams won't score the sequel now, it's probably 5 years away.

It's a nice interview, and has some interesting insights into the roles of various technicians.

Although, this isn't a question and seems to have no purpose other than prompt the guy to start gushing over Williams:

John Williams earned an Oscar nomination for Best Original Music Score for Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Jackson has no excuse now. He's had years to get another Tintin off the ground but he's done nothing since the Hobbit three years ago.

Williams won't score the sequel now, it's probably 5 years away.

It's a shame you people have to wait so long for your Tintin sequel. It's not like the actors are going to age. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2018 at 8:26 PM, Holko said:

It's dreadful to think the Oscar-winning editing, sound mix and VFX of STAR WARS, one of the most popular and influential pieces in the history of American cinema only exist in semi-gray area fan restorations, and locked away in Lucasfilm's vaults and hard drives. The last official release is the '93 laserdisc, but that really doesn't reach the standard quality, and was already tampered with to a smaller extent for the nth time.

The editing is mostly preserved, isn't it, except for the few additional scenes and that infamous Han shot first scene?

It was also wonderful having Ramiro there as John’s spokesperson. He knew all of the subtle little sacred moments that Williams had written in the score. He pointed them out and I was able to push those and feature those.

It would be fun to get a hold of that list!

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

It was also wonderful having Ramiro there as John’s spokesperson. He knew all of the subtle little sacred moments that Williams had written in the score. He pointed them out and I was able to push those and feature those.

It would be fun to get a hold of that list!

Clearly nobody bothered listening to Ramiro during the Rise of Skywalker mixing sessions, or he was too busy hacking up the score to cover the re-edits.

With the production slate being what it was and probably a lot of studio interference - Disney not wanting another Solo-flop or a Last Jedi-controversy on their hands - I heard that TROS was still doing reshoots 11 day’s before the premiere...

No wonder the score might feel a little chopped up in the movie and JW’s 40-year leitmotif structure is broken in places.