The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I like to imagine the confusion of a casual fan who likes Mandalorian but didn’t watch Book of Boba Fett when this new season starts :lol:

Previously on the Manda- I mean Book of- I mean... oh wtf.

Yea if you're a casual fan still riding high on the emotional finale of Din giving Grogru away to CGI Luke Skywalker, and never paid any attention to the Boba show, when you see this poster you must be like "wtf"

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea if you're a casual fan still riding high on the emotional finale of Din giving Grogru away to CGI Luke Skywalker, and never paid any attention to the Boba show, when you see this poster you must be like "wtf"

Such a genuinely terrible narrative choice

To be honest, like all the trailers for previous seasons this really doesn't give away a lot. Which I love. In that way the show has so many surprises. I really wish more trailers would do that!

On 16/01/2023 at 11:20 PM, DarthDementous said:

Such a genuinely terrible narrative choice

Originally when conceived the Boba Fett show was going to simply be Mando Season 3 but focusing on Boba, following the same chapter numbers and everything from The Mandalorian.  It was probably filmed as such and only changed to its own thing after the fact and they just didn't bother to reconstruct the narrative at that point. 

I would imagine most that watched Mando would at the very least check out Book of Boba Fett and would at least be made aware that there are essentially 2 Mandalorian focused episodes in the middle.

55 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Originally when conceived the Boba Fett show was going to simply be Mando Season 3 but focusing on Boba, following the same chapter numbers and everything from The Mandalorian.  It was probably filmed as such and only changed to its own thing after the fact and they just didn't bother to reconstruct the narrative at that point. 

I would imagine most that watched Mando would at the very least check out Book of Boba Fett and would at least be made aware that there are essentially 2 Mandalorian focused episodes in the middle.

I think he was refering to bringing Grogu back as a bad narrative choice. @DarthDementous?

To me, it seems like the stronger narrative arc is:

Keep seasons 1 and 2 the same, ending with Din tearfully letting Grogu go study with Luke

The Boba show is about Boba on Tatooine, and Din still shows up to help, but not with Grogu

Season 3 would be largely what we're getting, Din & Bo Kattan take back Mandalore or whatever, but episodes would occasionally cut to Grogu  studying with Luke throughout the season.  Heading towards the season finale, Din and Grogru would reunite and Grogru would help with whatever big action finale they have planned for season 3 on Mandalore

Instead, it's kind of weird that they summed up Grogu's time with Luke and reuniting with Din in 2 episodes, and had him help with the big Tattooine battle instead of anything to do with Din's personal life.  And now Din will go through the whole Mandalore plot with Grogu with him the whole time.  Seems less powerful.

But we'll see how it goes!  I have faith in F&F!

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m okay with the idea to reunite them in BOBF on the face of it.  I don’t know if it was wholly successful.

Part of it is a marketing problem.  They should have introduced it at the end of S2 with something like “The Mandalorian will return in…The Book of Boba Fett.” Put Mando in the trailers a bit, etc. and name it “The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett.”  Clue viewers in to the fact that it was in some way going to be a continuation of the story they were watching.

Then for me there’s only an issue of the passing of time.  I think if they had another full episode with Mando on a side adventure earlier in the series (somehow tied to the Pykes), then returned to the Boba story, and then came back to Mando a few episodes later with the same arc we got, you’d get a better impression of time passed without Grogu.  A Pykes mission earlier in the series may also provide some more motivation for Mando to show up for the final battle.

(I really liked BOBF though, so those of you who thought it didn’t work might just find the situation unsalvageable).

I agree with every word!

The whole thing that these 2 series have done incredibly well is not showing/getting things spoiled before it is revealed in an episode.

So Boba in Mandalorian was a surprise. And Mando in Boba was a surprise. And I think that they are ginna keep doing this with S3 (and maybe more).

And personally I love this and I'll watch anything SW, even if I don't think it's that good

29 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I think if they had another full episode with Mando on a side adventure earlier in the series (somehow tied to the Pykes), then returned to the Boba story, and then came back to Mando a few episodes later with the same arc we got, you’d get a better impression of time passed without Grogu.  A Pykes mission earlier in the series may also provide some more motivation for Mando to show up for the final battle.

That's a good idea

2 hours ago, Jay said:

To me, it seems like the stronger narrative arc is:

Keep seasons 1 and 2 the same, ending with Din tearfully letting Grogru go study with Luke

The Boba show is about Boba on Tatooine, and Din still shows up to help, but not with Grogru

Season 3 would be largely what we're getting, Din & Bo Kattan take back Mandalore or whatever, but episodes would occasionally cut to Grogru studying with Luke throughout the season.  Heading towards the season finale, Din and Grogru would reunite and Grogru would help with whatever big action finale they have planned for season 3 on Mandalore

Instead, it's kind of weird that they summed up Grogru's time with Luke and reuniting with Din in 2 episodes, and had him help with the big Tattooine battle instead of anything to do with Din's personal life.  And now Din will go through the whole Mandalore plot with Grogru with him the whole time.  Seems less powerful.

But we'll see how it goes!  I have faith in F&F!

Grogu.

8 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

I think he was refering to bringing Grogu back as a bad narrative choice. @DarthDementous?

Both.

Grogu stunts Din Djarin’s growth as a character and robs him of a lot of agency as well as stopping the show from being purely Mandalorian focused

It was also silly to reverse such an important narrative arc in a completely different show, as people have pointed out Book of Boba Fett was marketed as a spin-off of The Mandalorian, not a continuation of it

• 2 weeks later...

I wish my career had been as long and profitable as Kennedy's has been since she has been "about to be fired". It's been at LEAST 5 years now. (Good lord, has it only been five years since The Last Jedi?!?)

Anyone else more excited for another season of score than another season of show?

I mean I am looking forward to both, but with the season 2 score being neutered by recording restrictions, it's gonna be cool to get a whole season of "normal" scoring, at least I hope!  And I hope we get episodic albums again, but it doesn't seem likely does it

Ditto

I thought: 

Shirley: Book of Boba and Creed 3

Göransson: Wakanda Forever and Mando 3

Maybe Göransson is doing Ahsoka too and didn't have time for all of Mando 3?

EDIT: Oh I forgot!  Göransson is doing Oppenheimer for Nolan!

That probably conflicted with Mando 3

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I thought Shirley took over Creed III so Göransson could fully focuse on Mando 3.

He's doing Oppenheimer (out July 2023), and Wakanda Forever was released in November 2022. That's more work than Creed III.

After working with Nolan and winning 2 Emmys, the Mandalorian is probably not a priority for him anymore, and requires a lot more work than a film.

I'm sure it is true anyway, but that is not technically a confirmation.  That website just aggregates score news posted elsewhere, they don't have their own journalists getting actual scoops or anything.  And notice that they don't link to any sources in the post.

They probably posted that article after reading this thread, lol

That article mentions:

While the full Season 3 music credits have not been confirmed yet, our understanding is that it will be similar to last year’s The Book of Boba Fett with Shirley being credited as the score composer and Göransson for providing the themes.

So it's not 100% Shirley.