The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

I actually find it a little odd that tv shows used to/still do that. I mean I get that they have to market the next episode, for a 25 minute episode, a trailer can give away the basic plot line of the episode, and not much would be a surprise.

Episode 3 - The Convert is a very interesting episode.

The opening and ending with Mando & Bo-Katan were great. That ship chase was soo cool. I loved the move Mando made when he flew upwards and just let the shio fall again. And Bo-Katan's quick turn at the end was so great.

I was thinking last week that when Bo-Katan save Mando from the water she, in a way, also bathed in there. So I was really happy to see this actually come back and be the case. I'm very interested in what will happen with her character.

The for the whole part on Coruscant. I thought it was really good. I do feel that it's not a completed story yet. It was long, but I somehow felt that some information was missing.

Besides that, Coruscant looked great. As did the shipyard with Star Destroyers.

It's i teresting to me that cloning is both a big part of The Mandalorian and The Bad Batch. I really feel like they are working towards something and maybe they're trying to Original Trilogy & The Sequels.

Shirley's music again was great. The ship chase, like in episode 1, was great. But I liked this better.

I believe I picked up a motif for Coruscant which was used multiple times in the episode.

And someone said above that a version "Scherzo For X-Wings" was playing at the fun fair. But I believe it was the "March Of The Resistance". I really liked it.

That was a weird episode, the meat of it felt like it was going somewhere but then did two 180s and now I'm left questioning what the point was

Why did Kane want to seemingly lobotomise Pershing?

Before this episode came out I was discussing episode 2 with a group and I said of the potential of Bo Katan and Din Djarin's dynamic: "These are two characters that have conflicting ideologies and experiences directly tied to the location (Mandalore), that dynamic should be mined for everything it's worth, especially if they're forced to work together to achieve different and potentially conflicting goals". 

The ending of this episode felt like a direct dismissal of that. So bathing in the ritual waters isn't only just for being forgiven if you remove your helmet in the presence of a living person, it's for literally any transgression against the clan? The whole clan of Kryze were branded as Apostates but Bo Katan accidentally takes a dunk in the ritual water and she's not only forgiven but also becomes a member of the cult :eh:

That cult is really just the wackest faction ever

Yep, felt disjointed from the Mando/Katan story. Music this time was a bit hit and miss, but I loved the little March of the Resistance camel.

This was a nice episode, even though not as strong as the previous ones, at least for me. The Coruscant storyline was interesting, but I didn't really liked that it was almost the entire episode to focus on that, and as others have said, perhaps it would have been better if they spread out this plot during the previous episodes. Even so, there are some interesting implications with all the cloning technology talk, and I think they're building towards a big revelation at some point during this season in relation to this. Apart from that, I really liked seeing Coruscant once again in all of its mighty glory, and Shirley's new theme for the city was so great!

Mando and Bo Katan's storyline was quite short in this episode, but we had a cool space chase with the TIE Fighters, and some unexpected twists at the end, with the revelation that Bo Katan has also been redeemed, which I think could solidify her claim to the rule of Mandalore, and perhaps she would be supported by the mandalorian covert, if they see she is fit to rule.

Next week cannot come soon enough, but in the meantime you can check out my brief analysis on the soundtrack of this episode, which featured some interesting new variations on old themes, plus the introduction of a great little melody for the city of Coruscant. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 19: The Convert

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

For a while it felt like Mando season 3 was turning into Andor season 1.5

I remember thinking that too. Would certainly be interesting to compare and contrast those scenes because Andor felt weirdly natural to me despite being a facet we've never really seen before whereas here it felt really...off and strangely childish? It's hard to quite put my finger on what it is but it was starting to feel like a series of local customs that had been space-ified almost like a parody, like 'Taungsdays, am I right?' standing in for 'Mondays, am I right?' and the glowing icecream pops

This didn't feel like an episode of Andor as much as an episode of Clone Wars or The Bad Batch. Both of those shows do unrelated or seemingly unrelated stories all the time. It was interesting how it was bookended by the main Mando story.

Pershing's end was horrifying. I totally saw it coming, but still. I'm assuming what's her name is still loyal to Gideon and it tying up loose ends.

BTW, when Pershing said to the Mon Cal "It's a trap!" both of my kids looked at me. :D

41 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It was pretty obvious from the beginning of the series, but now solid confirmation that this show is basically a Snoke origin story. Really interested to see where (and how) this goes...

To be fair, I believe Favreau even said the series would include things that tied into the rise of the FO

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

This didn't feel like an episode of Andor as much as an episode of Clone Wars or The Bad Batch.

Kind of Reminded me of an Legends novel.

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I remember thinking that too. Would certainly be interesting to compare and contrast those scenes because Andor felt weirdly natural to me despite being a facet we've never really seen before whereas here it felt really...off and strangely childish?

It mainly felt boring to me so serious Andor vibes on my part.

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Pershing's end was horrifying. I totally saw it coming, but still. I'm assuming what's her name is still loyal to Gideon and it tying up loose ends.

I would think Gideon would want him alive given his abilities and desire to push the field of genetics even further. This is what I mean about the point of that cutaway being very confusing because there's ambiguity as to whether Kane is working for Gideon or the New Republic. If she's working for Gideon then exposing the research to the New Republic doesn't seem to make much sense, unless she's trying to gain their trust but then do...what exactly? Come to think of it, it probably is Gideon, the suggestion that he escaped and is active was made very clear through the chatter of the repatriated Imperials. Just really weird handling if it is because it's put a lot of unnecessary twists and turns between that fact

3 hours ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

So what is special about this mythosaur? Why did Bo asked Mando about it?

It's the origin of the Mandalorian culture. It's where they get that skull crest thing.

I laughed everytime there was a scene with Mando and Bo-Katan and the captioning said something like "The Mandalorian groans". I thought "Well that should say 'A Mandalorian, surely?"

So they pulled a book of boba fett with the coruscant scenes…. 😜

btw, so coruscant looks again like the prequels. Any reason why andors coruscant looks so different?

i suppose there are more aliens now due to the republic… but still it does not look like the same planet

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Any reason why andors coruscant looks so different?

Because it's filmed differently? It's like seeing New York City in a Spielberg movie vs. a Scorsese movie.

10 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So they pulled a book of boba fett with the coruscant scenes….

If we get to the end of the season and Mando never intersects with this story or if it turns out to be set up for a different show then they will have pulled a Book of Boba.

19 hours ago, Tallguy said:

BTW, when Pershing said to the Mon Cal "It's a trap!" both of my kids looked at me. :D

I was very amused by that exchange, but he said "it was a trap", not "it's a trap" :)

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I was very amused by that exchange, but he said "it was a trap", not "it's a trap" :)

The camera knew what they were talking about. :)

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I found it odd that the Mythosaur just sat there and didn't react to Din and Bo being in it's territory.

*Yawn* "Maybe if I ignore them they'll just go away... SHIT, TOO BRIGHT!"

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So they pulled a book of boba fett with the coruscant scenes…. 😜

btw, so coruscant looks again like the prequels. Any reason why andors coruscant looks so different?

They kind of did yeah

Fundamentally it looks different due to a more monochromatic colour grade, and also because a lot of those locations in Andor were real sets or even filmed on location, giving it a strong sense of place

41 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Seeing Coruscant again makes me wish that they had included it in The Rise of Skywalker.

Didin't JJ want to blow it up in The Force Awakens but The Mouse wouldn't let him?

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Didin't JJ want to blow it up in The Force Awakens but The Mouse wouldn't let him?

The first time I watched TFA I actually thought it was Coruscant.

5 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

The first time I watched TFA I actually thought it was Coruscant.

?

It was clearly supposed to be. Or at least the capital of the New Republic, which if not Coruscant, what happened to Coruscant?

Coruscant is not seen in TFA.  The planet that the First Order blows up is Hosnian Prime

I don't think the sequel films mention Coruscant at all, or why the capital of the New Republic moved from there to Hosnian Prime.

I mean, in reality it's because JJ wanted to blow up a planet and Disney wouldn't let that be Coruscant.

But in-universe, there's probably some explanation in some novel or comic book or something

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Coruscant is not seen in TFA.  The planet that the First Order blows up is Hosnian Prime

It seems the republic changed the site of the goverment ciclically

The fact that the New Republic seems desperate to say "We are not the empire!", moving its capital away from Coruscant feels logical, and like what we saw in the episode, utilizing Empire torture equipment but in very low power, they moved to Coruscant-light

21 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Fundamentally it looks different due to a more monochromatic colour grade, and also because a lot of those locations in Andor were real sets or even filmed on location, giving it a strong sense of place

Wow! They actually filmed on Coruscant?

Jokes aside. This is definitely the best looking season of a Star Wars live action show.

The Mandalorian 3x03 The Convert

I liked this episode!  Yes, it was weird, for sure; I wonder how and when they decide to do these major structural changes, like this and mid-season Boba Fett, and if it will influence other writers out there?

The main Din/Bo story was cool.  I liked the way Bo asked Din if he saw anything, and to know that he did not.  I wonder why Bo decided not to tell Din about the Mythosaur - does she not trust him fully, or does she not believe what she thought she saw?

The space and air chase that happened after was really cool - I fell like this show has stepped up its action game this year, all the action scenes have been top notch.

SO - who do we think send the TIE Interceptors to chase them and TIE Bombers to destroy her castle?  Was it Gideon, or was it GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN!?

At the end when they hooked back up with the group of Mandalorians where The Armorer is, so many things happened I wasn't expecting.  When the show set up a religious angle, with Din basically being in a cult, I thought the show would be him gradually leaving the cult and realizing he can live his life the way he wants instead of how the cult instructs him.  So when, instead, Bo gets brought INTO his sect of Mandalorian at the end of hte episode, I was really surprised.  It turns out she's the titular Convert after all.  How about that.

It's funny, I had just kind of noticed in my brain that Bo hadn't taken her helmet off the whole episode when The Armorer asked her.  And it never occurred to me that since Bo had to go into the waters to save Din, she had technically bathed in the waters too.  Cool stuff all around, very much looking forward to what happens next!

oh right, there was a whole other episode inside this episode!

Dr. Pershing's Coruscant Adventures started out seeming like a really weird detour, but as it went on the story was so interesting and well-told, I was completely on board for it all.

It's definitely a major fiction trope to have rebels take down a fascist organization only for the new leadership to eventually become just like them, and I like the way this episode sowed some seeds for that idea: the wealthy guys who barely notice and don't really care who is in charge, the way they referred to the former Imperials given amnesty by their numbers and the phrases they say at meals, the public de-commissioning of their Star Destroyers but willingness to use their tech, etc.  So much great world-building here, it definitely had a lot in common with Andor.

It was clear the whole time that Elia Kane was going to betray Pershing, but I'm left wondering exactly what is going on at the end of the episode.  I'm not sure if I missed something, or if not everything is revealed yet and I'm supposed to have these questions:

-Is Elia Kane secretly working for a AND still loyal to Gideon?  Or is she only loyal to the New Republic now?

-If she knew which Star Destroyer had cloning tech in it, what did she need Pershing for? Just to identify which tech to take?

-Are we seeing something the New Repulic eventually does to all or a lot of former Imperials: give them a sense of false hope for a bit then punish them for extra cruelty, or is Pershing special because of his cloning work?

-At the end when Kane secretly does something to the machine that the New Republic guys don't know about, is she lessening the effect so that Pershing will still be useful to her and Gideon to continue cloning work (but she had to make it publicly look like she captured and mind-wiped a bad one), OR is she kicked it up, effectively causing Pershing extra pain and/or death, for reasons?  (If she's still loyal to Gideon, you'd think she'd want him to be able to continue the work)

Lots of questions! 

Can't wait for Episode 4 on Wednesday and the first score album on Friday!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

The Mandalorian 3x03 The Convert

I liked this episode!  Yes, it was weird, for sure; I wonder how and when they decide to do these major structural changes, like this and mid-season Boba Fett, and if it will influence other writers out there?

The main Din/Bo story was cool.  I liked the way Bo asked Din if he saw anything, and to know that he did not.  I wonder why Bo decided not to tell Din about the Mythosaur - does she not trust him fully, or does she not believe what she thought she saw?

The space and air chase that happened after was really cool - I fell like this show has stepped up its action game this year, all the action scenes have been top notch.

SO - who do we think send the TIE Interceptors to chase them and TIE Bombers to destroy her castle?  Was it Gideon, or was it GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN!?

At the end when they hooked back up with the group of Mandalorians where The Armorer is, so many things happened I wasn't expecting.  When the show set up a religious angle, with Din basically being in a cult, I thought the show would be him gradually leaving the cult and realizing he can live his life the way he wants instead of how the cult instructs him.  So when, instead, Bo gets brought INTO his sect of Mandalorian at the end of hte episode, I was really surprised.  It turns out she's the titular Convert after all.  How about that.

You expected the story to go in a sensible direction but instead the show threw a logical curveball at you like it is fond of doing

There is no expressed reason for Bo Katan to join a cult that her family is specifically opposed to (according to Pax Viszla who brands her and her family as Apostates)

20 hours ago, Jay said:

-Is Elia Kane secretly working for a AND still loyal to Gideon?  Or is she only loyal to the New Republic now?

-If she knew which Star Destroyer had cloning tech in it, what did she need Pershing for? Just to identify which tech to take?

-Are we seeing something the New Repulic eventually does to all or a lot of former Imperials: give them a sense of false hope for a bit then punish them for extra cruelty, or is Pershing special because of his cloning work?

-At the end when Kane secretly does something to the machine that the New Republic guys don't know about, is she lessening the effect so that Pershing will still be useful to her and Gideon to continue cloning work (but she had to make it publicly look like she captured and mind-wiped a bad one), OR is she kicked it up, effectively causing Pershing extra pain and/or death, for reasons?  (If she's still loyal to Gideon, you'd think she'd want him to be able to continue the work)

I guess with the last action she just tries to turn Pershing against the new republic so that he joins Gideon and helps him to improve all these Sidious clones.

16 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Death Watch didn’t give a crap about the cult’s rituals, Pre Viszla barely wore a helmet for example

But are not they the precursors of din djarin people? Wasnt he saved as a child by a death watch member?

The hosts of the recap podcast I listen to didn't seem to think that Elia Kane was secretly working for Gideon, but was basically just really pro-New Republic and willing to go to extremes to punish former Imperials that are still up to bad things, more so than her coworkers are.

I dunno

I dunno, just because this group of people did it to Pershing doesn't mean that whoever's in charge of the New Republic as a whole knows about it I guess

Yea it's shocking to me that I'm more invested right now in this Pershing / Kane / Coruscant / New Republic / Cloning story thread, than I am Din and Bo's!

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Why even put in the idea that The New Republic uses torture or mind wiping in the first place? Aren’t they supposed to be the good guys?

This is nu-Wars, baby! The good guys are just as bad as the bad guys!

It's a common trope in fiction like this (the new leaders ending up just as bad as the previously leadership they overturned)

By the way. The fact that humans do here just sorting and dump registration work without freedom for individual decisions but a droid is doing the regular psychological evaluation of the workers makes absolutely no sense to me.