The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

On 11/1/2019 at 12:57 PM, Pellaeon said:

I dunno, Disney can still put out very successful “princess” cartoons which tonally deviate very little from Snow White (1937). I don’t know why star wars have to be perpetually populated with such miserable basket cases now, especially considering the good guys won.

It was the actors and cinema that make the OT what it is.  Just the updated Jaba scene in A New Hope takes some of that atmosphere away.

5 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

I'm getting too old for this sort of thing.

I can take you as far as Disney+. You can get a subscription there for The Simpsons or whatever you're watching.

Oceans and giant plants cost more money than deserts. ;)

But yes, the whole desert setting is really tired at this point. It was nice getting away from it for TLJ (at least Crait was visually different) but both Solo and Rogue One had extensive desert sequences and now TROS follows suit.

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

And then three days after release they were suddenly worse than Hitler himself.

I mean, Hitler at least cared about Germany. Or something.

Just finished watching the first episode. (The Disney+ app was live early.) Too tired to write my thoughts on the show itself right now aside from the fact that I loved it; can't wait for more. Feels very much at home in the SW universe. As for the score, though: I found myself struggling to get into it at first, mostly due to the more modern soundscape, but wound up enjoying it as the show went on. (That said, there's a theme that shows up a couple times in the episode that sounds almost like a Kylo Ren theme rip-off, so there's that...) The highlight for me was easily the main theme, which can be heard in a great presentation over the end credits, as well as a very memorable rendition when two of the main characters are riding creatures across a desert/canyon-y sort of landscape. Really great brass writing, and the tune itself is sort of Williams-esque in a way. Annnd this theme has been stuck in my head since the episode ended; not a bad sign at all! A soundtrack album release can't come soon enough, for me, even if only to get my hands on the credits track. Very excited to see what Goransson has in store for the rest of the season, though. Curious to hear what you guys think.

EDIT: Also worth noting that the ethnic winds heard in that above clip do wind up being an aspect of the main theme IIRC, which is pretty cool.

If anyone wants to check...does the disney+ in USA let you select castillian spanish as language? I recently saw a dubbed trailer, and i thought it was too soon if disney+ arrives here in march...

First episode's alright, standard western/bounty hunter fare with a faceless stoic character (though there's a moment or two to build him already), nice SW winks not really getting in the way, and and ending hinting at intriguing future proceedings!

I'm going to be watching ASAP (so pwease no spoilers), but for those of you who have watched it, did you notice the "massive Star Wars spoiler" somewhere in the first episode, or was that just some dumb marketing business?

Very interesting that this premiere episode is only 38 minutes long.  My bet is that there's going to be considerable variation in episode lengths.  Something that's only getting more common the further we go into the streaming age.

44 minutes ago, Holko said:

Huh?

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Disco Stu said:

Where we are as a culture: story revelations as experienced within the story itself are now called spoilers.

0FB8F1E9-4C99-47FA-9FA3-2ECD1B7AAEDB.jpeg

Upon watching the episode just now, the music was not distracting as I feared it would be. It was very bland most of the time, but there were a couple highlights (I kind if liked the cue when they were riding the Blurrgs). It was unique enough though. My main complaint is the lack of orchestra. My enjoyment of the episode was not at all hindered because of these minor complaints though. I do find it cool that they are releasing the scores immediately after each episode airs. I guess that saves me the trouble of having to make my own edits down the line. :P

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Very interesting that this premiere episode is only 38 minutes long.  My bet is that there's going to be considerable variation in episode lengths.  Something that's only getting more common the further we go into the streaming age.

I thought it seemed rather short, but wasn't sure if that was just me. It cut off kind of abruptly. The end credits came up suddenly and I was like "that's it? I have to wait a whole week to know what that was about?!"

12 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

that's it? I have to wait a whole week to know what that was about?!"

Episode 2 is out this Friday!  This is a special premiere Tuesday release, then they’re out every Friday from now until Dec 27.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Episode 2 is out this Friday!  This is a special premiere Tuesday release, then they’re out every Friday from now until Dec 27. 

Oh, sweet! Did not know that.

43 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Will this be on the normal TV? I don't want to pay to watch these things anymore. 

Nope. It'll probably get a Blu-Ray release at some point, probably in like a year or so.

1 minute ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Oh, sweet! Did not know that.

Nope. It'll probably get a Blu-Ray release at some point, probably in like a year or so.

These new TV stations are stupid how you have to pay to watch them. Can't they just put ads on them instead?

Just finished the episode.  It’s 100% setup with almost no payoff, but that’s fine for an episode 1.  I’m enjoying the breadcrumb trails they’ve started laying down, and I like the overall vibe of the show.  It’s dirty and down-to-business.  The little hints of the larger, almost mythical, Mandalorian culture are cool.  I liked the uneasy alliance with the bounty droid at the end and the running joke of it initiating self-destruct.  The paintings in the end credits are a really cool touch.

Sadly a lot of the coolest details of Göransson’s score are lost in the mix.

Also...

Spoiler

widdle baby Yoda!

There's some nice lore with the Mandalorians throughout Clone Wars and Rebels @Disco Stuwhich also makes Filoni's involvement fitting. Given the shows timeline it would be nice to see one of the Rebels character - a Mandalorian too - given a cameo.

I thought this was really good!  Overall, the “badass” Star Wars slash 1990s EU Boba Fett Cult was never my thing, but there’s enough characterization peeking around the corners here for that to be less of an issue.  Took a while to really get a feel for it, but I’m hooked.

So,

Spoiler

I’m assuming the baby reveal at the end is the “Star Wars spoiler,” although it’s just really a plot point here.  We’ve seen other Yodae before, in E1.

Why does the Empire want Widdle Baby Yoda, and why is it being protected by a warlike invading faction in the middle of nowhere?  

I had assumed Favreau would direct the first one, but I guess this was Filoni?  I think it was pretty well done - a lot of very pretty shots.  The whole blurg-riding training montage.  The action scene was follow-able.  The humor was on point without being too off-tone.

I liked the score, or at least what I could hear of it - the big moments.  I look forward to picking it up.

I like the fact that they utilized medium and big names (Nick Nolte, Horatio Sanz, Taika Waititi) for mask/CG roles.  All three were really well-defined characters for their thus-far small amount of screen time.

But I'm glad they entered Brian Posehn officially into the Star Wars canon. He fit right in, even playing himself.

I was surprised Favreau didn't direct this either, I thought he was directing either the pilot or the entire season.  But now I see on Wikipedia he wrote the entire season except one episode, and they have a rotating cast of directors, which in future episodes will include Bryce Dallas Howard and Taika Waititi

35 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like the fact that they utilized medium and big names (Nick Nolte, Horatio Sanz, Taika Waititi) for mask/CG roles.  All three were really well-defined characters for their thus-far small amount of screen time.

But I'm glad they entered Brian Posehn officially into the Star Wars canon. He fit right in, even playing himself.

Nolte and Waititi gave really good voice performances.  But I think Brian Posehn was a little distracting, especially coming right near the beginning.  If you have no idea who he is, which is true for most people I'm sure, it's probably fine.

I think the music works "okay" at best within the context of the show itself. But it's not the type of music you'd really want to listen to on it's own.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nolte and Waititi gave really good voice performances.  But I think Brian Posehn was a little distracting, especially coming right near the beginning.  If you have no idea who he is, which is true for most people I'm sure, it's probably fine.

Haha, yeah that was weird but I thought it was a neat little cameo. I was like "wait a minute, is that Burt from TBBT?"

I used to watch the sitcom Just Shoot Me when I was a kid, that was the first place I saw Posehn and I guess what I still associate with him first.  I don't really watch or like standup comedy, so I haven't see him do that.