The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

4 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

"Do this meaningless thing we demand or you want the death of the people who we claim to fight for." is everything wrong with the culture today.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got Star Wars fruit snacks for my kid in the grocery delivery and they’re now The Mandalorian fruit snacks, with all new shapes!  Most of them are baby yoda, of course, but there’s also the main ship, Mando, and from what I can tell some sort of one eyed frog creature?80EB6A9C-8999-4734-86C5-67BE3F6CE118.jpeg

anyway, more interesting than the old fruit snacks, where they updated the package to Kylo Ren but just kept the same OT shapes they’d been using for a decade or more

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

My candy of choice is Jujubes, which are basically just fruit snacks but harder!

You monster! Those crusty teeth breakers are a plight on humanity, designed to be fed to POWs! 

These ones on the other hand...

unnamed-1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You monster! Those crusty teeth breakers are a plight on humanity, designed to be fed to POWs! 

These ones on the other hand...

unnamed-1.jpg

You monster! These are designed to get stuck between your teeth by evil dentists!

• 4 weeks later...

A great start!

S1 had Western elements - this one goes all in.

I love that they upped the scale significantly but not to the detriment of the effects - it looks fantastic!

Spoiler

Lovely little things like the marshall riding an engine from Anakin's pod, one of the boxy speeders from SW being used, Boba Fett at the end...

Great episode, as always!

Yes, that ending was something:

Spoiler

How cool to get Morrison/Jango Fett return in the the role as Boba Fett. Hope we get to know how he escapes the Sarlacc pit. Maybe he fell in shortly before the Dune-like sandworm ate the Sarlacc (which is what they say in the episode).

Nice episode, full of easter eggs (too many, its a small galaxy...but well they are more of a curiosity)

Spoiler

I think we dont see the full krayt dragon...but they had always been four legged reptiles, i dont understand the change...specially since  it resembles too much the things from dune...

And i really was expecting morrison to play captain rex, not boba fett..there is still hope though...

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Nice episode, full of easter eggs (too many, its a small galaxy...but well they are more of a curiosity)

Spoiler

They didn't change the look of the Krayt dragon, Legends did. The Krayt dragon was first seen in ANH as a skeleton, and had no arms or legs. It basically just looked like a giant snake. So this is how they should actually look.

Spoiler

And how do we know how many different types of Krayt Dragons there are? 

Since we watched Tremors 7 last week, my wife was keen to point out that this town has a Graboid problem. 

This episode makes me want to replay Kotor 1, walk with the tuskens, and fight its Krayt dragon on Tatooine. 

I enjoyed the new episode but I do think it went too far with the quasi-deep cut references. Seeing

Spoiler

a guy wearing Boba Fett's armor while riding Anakin's podracer engine

is probably what solidified that feeling for me.

That being said, there was one super subtle reference that I loved, and that I haven't seen discussed:

Spoiler

During one of the conversations with the Tuskens, Mando is gesticulating and the footage suddenly reverses for a moment. I have to believe someone was amusing themselves as they thought about the ANH shot of the Tusken that editorially rocks forward and backward a few times to make him shake his gaffi stick for longer.

4 hours ago, who cares said:
  Hide contents

This episode makes me want to replay Kotor 1, walk with the tuskens, and fight its Krayt dragon on Tatooine. 

Spoiler

First thing I thought of when they showed the "cave" entrance a brought out a bantha to entice it :lol:

It's not surprising to me. It blends old school sensibilities and modern tendencies, so it appeals to many young and old score fans alike. 

That said, it's certainly not for everyone, I'm sure it's easy to find two people who have a ton of overlap in scores they like, and one loves Mando and one doesn't. 

The music for the preparation to fight the Krayt Dragon was nice, and some of the stuff afterwards. I'm not a fan of the synth/electronic stuff that seems anti-Star Wars to my ears.

I still have only listened in the context of the show, but I've grown to absolutely love it, even though it's not really my usual cup of tea. I think it fits the Western vibe of the show beautifully. The brassy main theme is the most interesting non-Williams Star Wars theme I've heard.

It's not what I'd typically call my cup of tea either, but it's grown on my quite a bit. To be honest, even if the music was absolute crap I still wouldn't mind considering the content of the show itself is so good.

The CG for the Krayt Dragon was incredible, I wonder if some of it was created using puppetry? Where's the talk about it online? I remember when people were claiming the dragons from GoT were the best CG representation of the creature. 

8 hours ago, Datameister said:

The brassy main theme is the most interesting non-Williams Star Wars theme I've heard.

I consider every theme that John Powel wrote for Solo more interesting.

Spoiler

Besides. This bringing back of dead characters is really annoying. It makes the whole saga more and more from a story point of view irrelevant as long as plot decisions are just driven by the question what would enlighten the eyes of nostalgic fans for a moment. 

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I consider every theme that John Powel wrote for Solo more interesting.

Hide contents

Besides. This bringing back of dead characters is really annoying. It makes the whole saga more and more from a story point of view irrelevant as long as plot decisions are just driven by the question what would enlighten the eyes of nostalgic fans for a moment. 

I don't dislike Powell's Solo themes, but I still find them less interesting than that brassy Mandalorian theme. I also deduct points from Powell because there are at least three characters whose themes don't really match up with them, IMO: L3, Beckett, and Chewie. Goransson's writing fits like a Mandalorian glove.

43 minutes ago, Datameister said:

IMO: L3, Beckett, and Chewie.

Probably, because he usually prefers to write themes for concepts etc. than for characters.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

They resurrected Boba Fett in Legends material, too. That was at least twenty years ago. 

2 hours ago, who cares said:

Hide contents

They resurrected Boba Fett in Legends material, too. That was at least twenty years ago. 

Spoiler

I know. They also resurrected the emperor in Legends. 40 years ago they created the holiday special. The history of star wars is full of bad ideas. But recycling bad ideas and spend millions to put them into live action films and TV shows is even worse. Just my opinion. 

I can appreciate the general sentiment. Part of what I like about The Mandalorian is the fact that it generally focuses on new characters, so I'd prefer they continue in that vein. You can only stretch nostalgia and "Hey, I remember that!"-type feelings so far. Ultimately, the only way to move forward is to...move forward.

That said, this particular familiar face doesn't bother me...yet. I'll see how I feel once the role has developed further.