The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

10 minutes ago, blondheim said:

P.P.S. Grogu. Having him make a cute noise every time his new name is mentioned is a marketing ploy to quell naysayers that I can't help but respect

I like the name! Finally they can stop officially referring to him as "The Child".

As a fan of The Clone Wars and Rebels, this episode felt like heaven for me.

I love Ahsoka and I think she looks great in live-action, and the name-drop of Thrawn made me jump with excitement, beacuse that can only mean a continuation of where Rebels ended, be it either in this show or either a new one.

And the episode itself felt like some samurai film, especially the face-off between Ahsoka and the evil ruler (it kinda reminded me of Kill Bill Vol. 1)

Great episode and now Filoni has my full support to do whatever he wants with the saga, because I trust him

PS: Grogu is a nice name, but I think it's going to be hard to erase the name of Baby Yoda

I do hope we get to see a shot of Ezra's mangled and deformed corpse at some point to confirm he's gone for ever. 

It's so funny that people are losing their shit over a Kevin Keiner theme as well :D

It's a great theme and I love it and I'm glad it's being brought to a wider audience. 

Live-action Thrawn is all I can think about today. I've wanted that for a long, long time. Let the casting rumors commence!

I'd have really loved to have seen Prince Xizor but that seems off the table now.

6 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Live-action Thrawn is all I can think about today. I've wanted that for a long, long time. Let the casting rumors commence!

I'd have really loved to have seen Prince Xizor but that seems off the table now.

I assume Lars would be able to do it?

10 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I assume Lars would be able to do it?

I would be okay with that. Although I don't think Disney is going to go that direction again --we already got Katee Sackhoff. It will probably be someone with a little more household-name recognition since he really needs to be a big bad, fought over seasons. Let it be so...

Thrawn live actor should be his voice actor, really.

I liked the episode, but i tought the ashoka introduction was nos as powerful as it could have been. But bo katan spoiled all of it for us...

I fear maybe poor ezra was subject one in the experiments of gideon-thrawn....

Seriously...is this post rotj story have to be soooo diferent than the expanded universe? I mean...nobody knows about luke skywalker? Where in the hell is he?

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I fear maybe poor ezra was subject one in the experiments of gideon-thrawn....

Hopefully we see the mangled corpse to confirm. 

Nice episode, as always, but the Göransson music is so annoying, I want to tear my hair out. So many moments just screaming for a small nod to the JW themes, but instead we get vague harmonic similarities, a bunch of Bill Conti light and endless plonkety-plonk gimmicks. God, I hate that fucking hack Göransson and everything he stands for. :angryfire:

There, I got that off my chest.

Rosaria Dawson was good as Ahsoka, but I can't help but to think 'representation' when she's now converted to a black actor. 

Michael friggin' Biehn! A shame he was written into such a small and insignificant role.

The whole SEVEN SAMURAI/MAG 7 plot was intriguing, although they've done it before in the show.

I hope all these end-of-episode set-ups will find some sort of resolution (Boba Fett, Thrawn....). But I trust in Dave Filoni's great talent.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, you STAR WARS geeks, but the planet he's heading for next is the one in CLONE WARS with that mountain that reveals a Jedi temple, right?

@Thor

Are you talking about the Ice Planet from the youngling episodes? That was Illum where Kyber (lightsaber) crystals are.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Grogu... gosh, what a name!

QxbOA5phr44k.jpg

13 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

@Thor

Are you talking about the Ice Planet from the youngling episodes? That was Illum where Kyber (lightsaber) crystals are.

No, if memory serves, they get to this planet, there's a mountain that swirls around and reveals a temple opening. Inside, Ahsoka (I think) gets to talk to the force ghosts of Yoda and Anakin. I think the 'youngling training' temple was somewhere else, but I can't remember.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

No, if memory serves, they get to this planet, there's a mountain that swirls around and reveals a temple opening. Inside, Ahsoka (I think) gets to talk to the force ghosts of Yoda and Anakin. I think the 'youngling training' temple was somewhere else, but I can't remember.

Ah, that was Lothal in Rebels.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

All that is bad in film music.

They could make a movie about it!

The International Syndicate of Film Music Villains, an organization that stands for all that is bad in film music, has members such as Gorannsson, Giachinno, Brian Tyler, etc.

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

Rosaria Dawson was good as Ahsoka, but I can't help but to think 'representation' when she's now converted to a black actor.

She is of Cuban and Puerto Rican descent. She was never white in my mind, she was an alien so I can't see how it would ping on anyone's radar for that reason. It's not like she's breaking new ground in a role that was already white. Fans also specifically asked for her. Her casting was more on the fans than the studio. They listened to the twitter frenzy and it just happened to work out this time because Rosario is a great actress who was able to channel Ahsoka's matter-of-factness without being cloying or saccharine.

29 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hmm, more importantly, who cares? She did a good job. She's orange anyway.

Its the lips.

33 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hmm, more importantly, who cares? She did a good job. She's orange anyway.

A female Trump?

7 minutes ago, blondheim said:

She is of Cuban and Puerto Rican descent. She was never white in my mind, she was an alien

I believe the word you're looking for is immigrant.

28 minutes ago, blondheim said:

She is of Cuban and Puerto Rican descent. She was never white in my mind, she was an alien so I can't see how it would ping on anyone's radar for that reason. It's not like she's breaking new ground in a role that was already white. Fans also specifically asked for her. Her casting was more on the fans than the studio. They listened to the twitter frenzy and it just happened to work out this time because Rosario is a great actress who was able to channel Ahsoka's matter-of-factness without being cloying or saccharine.

True. No big deal, I suppose. The important thing is that she's the first actress to portray her in live action, so she'll create the benchmark for the future. I was really hoping that the original voice actor would portray her, though, for continuity's sake.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was really hoping that the original voice actor would portray her, though, for continuity's sake.

Quite a few wished that as well, as she has worn the costume and makeup before:

VUKczV90ba3LK3swpDmeqpkNCeK805fNrpLPE8g2

Tython was the planet that was mentioned. It’s been awhile since I saw either TCW or Rebeks but I don’t remember it being in either. 

afaik it comes from KotOR

Tython I think originated in the Tales of the Jedi comics, but we see it fully fleshed out in the game Star Wars the Old Republic as a starting area for Jedi.

Supposedly it’s one of the first places the Jedi ever settled, so to see it brought back up in the NU is neat. Curious to see what they’ll do with it

Another neat EU nod was the model of the guard droids, HK-87 units, what is a clear reference to HK-47 and his line of assassin droids in Knights of the Old Republic

The first not-very-good episode of the show.  The much hyped Ahsoka finally arrives, defined by a monotone and personality-free performance with random emotionless stares into the abyss.  

The plot was basically just an MMO fetch quest.  Very light on character development and stakes.

That recorders cue at the end was great though!

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh, random thought I remembered. Did anyone else think the teacher droid last week sounded like L3?

Absolutely I did. 

I'm delighted that the score is going its own way but I'm amused that Kiner's Ahsoka theme got such a complete statement while Yoda's theme kind of got waved at. 

Character development has been this show's biggest flaw, I think. Characters pretty much just speak to provide exposition. Nice to get a bit of a glimpse into the Child's past. And I did like the look of the planet

I just started this show and already watched 6 episodes. 

It's pretty good, I can see where all the hype is coming from. Episode 6 was the best so far, with a Suicide Squad-ish vibe (it even had its own Harley Quinn). 

I'll watch the next episodes in time for me to catch on the series.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:26 AM, Tallguy said:

Absolutely I did. 

I'm delighted that the score is going its own way but I'm amused that Kiner's Ahsoka theme got such a complete statement while Yoda's theme kind of got waved at. 

To be fair, that was likely because of what moments it was scoring

Yoda’s theme pops up only briefly because it’s nothing more than a name drop, whereas Ahsoka is there in the flesh for the whole episode