The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

They only looked off to me this episode.

Somehow this time, the script said a pot of things happened, but the unremarkable directing and location made it feel like nothing really happened. Pity.

Once again after initial motivations are settled, everyone's just nice and understanding and know what they have to do. I want a 20 minute scene where all these people just chat and agree disagree, dammit! Now Mando will be around another nonhyperfundamentalist Mandalorian, will he start to loosen up more? I liked his first scene, knowing what would probably be best for Grogu but not wanting to give him up.

I kinda liked that the Crest was picking up more and more personality in the first few eps of the season, didn't like the hard reset nice and shiny in ep4. I did NOT see this coming though!

9 hours ago, Holko said:

They only looked off to me this episode.

Somehow this time, the script said a pot of things happened, but the unremarkable directing and location made it feel like nothing really happened. Pity.

Once again after initial motivations are settled, everyone's just nice and understanding and know what they have to do. I want a 20 minute scene where all these people just chat and agree disagree, dammit! Now Mando will be around another nonhyperfundamentalist Mandalorian, will he start to loosen up more? I liked his first scene, knowing what would probably be best for Grogu but not wanting to give him up.

I kinda liked that the Crest was picking up more and more personality in the first few eps of the season, didn't like the hard reset nice and shiny in ep4. I did NOT see this coming though!

Dave Filoni is involve. After he totaled the Twilight anything is fair game. 

bastard!!

That didn't bother me because he took it. He didn't really ask for permission. It was more of a formality --"Here's your one chance to do this calmly"

I also think surviving the Sarlacc would have maybe softened Boba a bit. And anyone who's seen the animated stuff knows that Boba is on a very clear redemption arc. None of this was unexpected to me

57 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I find it odd that they would hit us with Boba only a week after Ahsoka. Honestly I was hoping they saved it for the season finale so it could have a bigger impact, but hey, what do I know

They are saving the big impact for when Luke Thrawn shows up with Ezra's mangled corpse.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

"Hey, I'm Boba Fett. Can you kindly give me my armour back?" :rolleyes:

Karol

he's just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe. 

6 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

he's just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe. 

I did like the addition of that line, even though it was from AOTC 😂 

Wonder where the jetpack rocket reloads come from? Didn't Corn Cobb Vanth use the rocket it had on it? I guess maybe Boba had some stashed in Slave I. 

7 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

Wonder where the jetpack rocket reloads come from? Didn't Corn Cobb Vanth use the rocket it had on it? I

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Considering how much cool stuff happened in that episode (and the fact it looked shot mostly on location), I was really disappointed by how uninspired the direction was.

When I saw the director's name come up, I was even more surprised. Expected something far more dynamic from Rodriguez. The dialogue scenes were particularly woeful, just basic shot/reverse-shot, like a soap opera.

I liked the episode, although I thought the action scenes weren't exactly suspenseful. The show went all of its way to show the poor stormtroopers' incompetence. They got slaughtered and humiliated the entire episode, and only when Gideon deployed the dark troopers (shouldn't they be called "robot troopers"?) the tension rised a bit.

I imagine the rescue of Baby Yoda will be just on the season finale. I hope that we get to discover what does Gideon (and the Empire) want from the Child.

It's clear they want the Child because it's a Jedi and it has connection with the Force. Maybe if they find a powerful Force wielder, they'll turn him to the Dark Side and thus have a new Sith for the Empire?

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

It's clear they want the Child because it's a Jedi and it has connection with the Force. Maybe if they find a powerful Force wielder, they'll turn him to the Dark Side and thus have a new Sith for the Empire?

Why would they need a Dr. Pershing for that?

Someone wants Force powers. I'm guessing it's Gideon, considering the darksaber. He will probably end up being even more power-hungry than Thrawn, who is perhaps the all-time greatest second in command.

But it could also be for Snoke/Palpatine experiments like some have speculated. It has been mentioned that we will start to see the rise of the First Order so I can't rule this theory out.

I would rather it be the first option though

The Ahsoka episode had actual world-building, interesting characters both new and old and an excellent design.

We got Grogu, his past, temple info, Ahsoka, Thrawn mention, this new Mononoke lady and the Beskar spear. Excellent music by Goransson with two references to old themes. Not to mention Biehn.

Whoever didn't like it is entitled to that opinion, but I think you're nuts. Rodriguez's shitty camera work actually pulled me out of the episode multiple times. I didn't know it was him going in and actually waited for the credit so I could dislike whoever it was and then it turned out to be someone I think is beyond mediocre anyway. The camera is almost always in a less than desirable place. That shot when the stormtroopers are coming out of the deployment vehicle and the camera is aimed up, like this is the Beach of Normandy in Saving Private Ryan, is laughable. Bad camera work can not make a dozen stormtroopers feel like an all-out assault no matter what you do. They should have concentrated on the idea that they weren't all that dangerous until the big gun got loaded. But then dude literally just stood there while it rolled him over.

I found it awful, but if that is your cup of tea... *shrug*

The plot of Ch. 13 felt underdeveloped and derivative of previous episodes (the Seven Samurai-esque "help the village" storyline).  That might be ok if had been in service of a more interesting character.  Ahsoka is so boring

I can't disagree more about Ahsoka. She is the most compelling new Star Wars character we have had in a very long time. Her growth over the 11 seasons of Clone Wars and Rebels was very dynamic. I find her the total opposite of static or uninteresting

Also, every plot line on this show is derivative. I would rather they be inspired by Kurosawa if they are going to be inspired by anything. Especially since Hidden Fortress is one of the biggest inspirations for the original Star Wars

5 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Wow, some of you are never satisfied.  

Jesus, Boba Goddam Fett came back in Slave I, smashed Stormtroopers with a Gaffi stick, and finally used his knee darts.

I was pissing myself and shouting with glee at my tv.  

What happened was fine. Great, even. The direction was so terrible, it felt like a fan-made project with an okay budget.

6 minutes ago, Darth Wojo said:

While old EU material is now "Legends," the Disney team can pick and choose what they want to bring into new canon.  Moff Gideon is playing the part of General Rom Mohc from the game, and Gideon's giant cruiser may as well be the Arc Hammer.

As a longtime fan of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game franchise, this episode had me extremely giddy for the direction of the show.

I'm really glad they're pushing the Imperial Remnant angle. 

7 minutes ago, Darth Wojo said:

know a lot of us spent big money on therapy to forget about this, but let's all remember together:   midichlorians.

#mercyformidichlorians! I don't mind them at all and don't think they take any mystique away from the Force in their basic concept at all.

3 hours ago, Darth Wojo said:

Gideon's giant cruiser may as well be the Arc Hammer.

Gideon's cruiser is actually a 'Light Cruiser' seen in Clone Wars and Rebels - it's considerably smaller than a regular Star Destroyer.

🤓

I can't decide how I feel about "The Tragedy." Definitely had shock value - didn't expect to see the Razorcrest blown away, nor that I would care so much! - and of course the fanboy in me is going to be giddy about seeing Boba kick ass. I don't disagree about the camera work and direction, though...there were moments that definitely took me out of it a bit, mainly during the action scenes. Tamuera Morrison's diction has changed a bit over time, too, and I admit I already had slightly mixed feelings about his acting, so that didn't help. Nor did the "I'm just a simple man" line, which I thought was as on-the-nose and unnecessary as Palpy's "pathway to many abilities" reference in TROS.

Still...like I said...I was fanboying. No shame in admitting it. And I'm certainly curious to see what the developments of this all-too-short episode lead to.

Anyone else feel like Mando's had just a bit too much dialogue this season overall, BTW? There are times when it feels like he just won't shut up. I thought the quieter and more subtle performance in season 1 was a bit more effective. When he did speak, it had that much more significance.

Some shots look like you can see the reflection from the sides of the camera, and it took me out of the moment as much as the gopro footage in Desolation of Smaug.

Does anyone want to speculate on whether Grogu made contact with a Jedi, and who it might be? Ezra? Luke? Yoda? Perhaps they'll make a new Jedi character to avoid other story entanglements...