The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

We watched the two-parter about Empire day. (Giving Ezra, Luke, and Leia the same birthday, right?) Maybe I'm over thinking this, but Our Heroes are giggling like school kids at the idea of bombing a parade. *shudder*

Wow, great episode! Very well done tension, changing stakes and dynamics. Important character moments and well-sprinkled fanservice. Sone great cues too! Loved it!

I've been a silent reader in this thread 😁

But, gosh,

IMO, chapter 15 may be the best episode of this season ( for me, almost ties with the spider episode),

And it's unsurprising though, because Rick Famuyiwa directed it ( he also directed the best episode of the first season!)

And the writing too, really felt upgraded ( no surprise again, Rick wrote it)

I just couldnt stop smiling seeing the banter between Mando and the Bill Burr character ( i think the script helps it)

And it goes very intense when it needs to be, and jolly, how it really reminds me of a Tarantino sequence! ( you know it when you see it)

The character development is very strong in this epsiode ( something lacking in previous episodes)

Overall, i really couldn't contain my excitement watching this episode!

SW is really in a very great hand with Rick Famuyiwa.

56 minutes ago, Holko said:

Wow, great episode! Very well done tension, changing stakes and dynamics. Important character moments and well-sprinkled fanservice. Sone great cues too! Loved it!

That celebratory cue!

It was a good episode, not great but better than the last one. It had some pretty great tension sequences.

I hope next week's season finale will give us a little more insight about what Gideon pretends with Baby Yoda.

"You people" and "TPS reports" were genuinely laugh-out-loud moments.

I only recognize the Imperial officer from the latest Tremors movie, but he has a great presence.  This was a good episode.

1 hour ago, Darth Wojo said:

"You people" and "TPS reports" were genuinely laugh-out-loud moments.

I only recognize the Imperial officer from the latest Tremors movie, but he has a great presence.  This was a good episode.

He was something, wasn't he?

I'm amazed that Mando managed to convey "tired and sad" while wearing a mask and armor. I liked last week's episode and this had some considerable heft.

Did they mention how mando bypassed the face recognition security? It looked like a big plothole in an excellent episode otherwise.

4 hours ago, Darth Wojo said:

I have read he is the night king from GOT.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Did they mention how mando bypassed the face recognition security? It looked like a big plothole in an excellent episode otherwise.

Didn't they state that the scanner only checks if the face is in the criminals' database? Since Mando has never shown his face to anyone, it obviously isn't.

Yeah, as long as you're not ACTUALLY someone we'd arrest, here, access whatever you want! The Empire has a surprisingly stringent "innocent until proven guilty" policy.

Since the emotions in that scene were hitting on all cylinders I didn't want to poke at the mechanics too hard. On a Star Wars scale of making sense it's not too bad, really.

As many have pointed out: Why on Earth does Djarin have a trimmed mustache?

I mean, I guess the guy's got to shave unless he wants a helmet full of beard...maybe he just felt like making a change?

Anyway, I really liked this episode overall. Some fun Indiana Jonesian action and interesting character development leading into what should be quite the showdown next week. I do feel kinda weird about Mando being so ready to take his helmet off...like, I think it's a cool evolution of the character to have him care more about saving Grogu than about honoring the creed, but it seems like a bigger deal should have been made of it somehow. Even a quick line from another character (e.g. "You must really care about that little guy!", except maybe less cheesy somehow) probably would have been enough.

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Maybe he is more open to removing his mask in certain situations since his run-in with Bo Katan and company.  That’s what it feels like to me

He had the moustache is season one when his helmet was removed.

Maybe he just likes the way he looks to himself with the moustache? Maybe he's attracted to himself...

Man, now I wish that Mayfeldt was the main character instead. Everything with him was really compelling and I think this is the first character on this show to actually feel properly fleshed out because we've seen some very different sides of him. I now get the impression that he fell into the Empire out of circumstance rather than any kind of loyalty to the cause (and if it was there then it faded quickly). Love seeing some actual dissidence and consequences from what should be a ridiculously controversial move, that being Operation Cinder.

Imperial Officer played by Richard Brake was extremely unsettling, it was like having a conversation with a serial killer and it made the whole sequence thrilling and the eventual break-down that much more believable.

As a side note in regards to violence in Rebels, I invite you to watch the Stormtroopers after they're felled by blaster fire or an explosion. In almost every case they're still moving, and it is incredibly distracting. A good point was also brought up in regards to the nature of the violence itself being 'kiddified' because it's completely glossed over, and not in the chilling way that Clone Wars does it where people just get executed (even a kid at one point!) and then the camera holds on their dead body for an uncomfortable amount of time. Those moments in TCW really sold the brutal nature of the war for me even if it wasn't always that graphic, and they certainly weren't still twitching after being shot in the face.

Bill Burr was great this episode, I loved the scene in the mess hall and seeing his infernal struggle to not kill the officer.

Couldn't stop imagining how William's would've scored the fight atop the transport, something like 'The Jungle Chase', no doubt.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

Am I the only one who thought that S2 was a bit... flat? Don’t get me wrong, it’s sure entertaining, fun and well executed - but isn’t it just a little bit pointless?

S1 was great. It had a dynamic story. We got to know ‘Mando’ - ruthless bounty hunter who’d stop for no man. But something changed him. Suddenly something was pulling him towards goals that weren’t of the monetary kind and the conflict that aroused from that, both internal and external, were very dynamic.

S2 is just about Mando doing more or less what he did in S1, but without the conflict. There’s plenty of action, but not so much conflict. There’s plenty of obstacles but not much moral conundrums.

Unless you count the “helmet”-thing which I don’t, it seems mostly cosmetic and without risk to take a stand either way.

S2 is less dynamic than its predecessor, not as layered, and hence not as good.

There’s not really anybody else to step in for the emotional dynamic either, mostly a lot of “Look! It’s [blank]! Cool!”-moments and great looking action scenes.

I hope they’re able to get away from the “gotta protect baby Yoda - they’ve got baby Yoda”- formula in S3.

That's a good way of describing it, yeah - fun but a little flat somehow. I'm hoping the season finale will bring it all together in a way that retroactively improves the rest of the season. Perhaps the whole thing will at least grow on me over time. It's not bad or anything; it's just...missing those layers that made it more than just a string of cool, well-done action sequences. Even the "protect baby Yoda" stakes have felt different this season because Mando hasn't been very interested in keeping  Grogu close by. I'm kind of amazed it took this long for someone to swoop in and take him while Mando was off being Mando.

I've also been feeling weird about Grogu's development. If he was old enough 20 years ago to be in Jedi training, shouldn't be at least be able to talk and have some degree of responsibility? I know his species ages slowly, but regardless, I would not want to train a toddler how to use the Force. And Grogu has thus far shown no more maturity than a toddler.

23 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I would not want to train a toddler how to use the Force.

Obviously you are not a Jedi then ;)

9 hours ago, Datameister said:

That's a good way of describing it, yeah - fun but a little flat somehow. I'm hoping the season finale will bring it all together in a way that retroactively improves the rest of the season. Perhaps the whole thing will at least grow on me over time. It's not bad or anything; it's just...missing those layers that made it more than just a string of cool, well-done action sequences. Even the "protect baby Yoda" stakes have felt different this season because Mando hasn't been very interested in keeping  Grogu close by. I'm kind of amazed it took this long for someone to swoop in and take him while Mando was off being Mando.

I've also been feeling weird about Grogu's development. If he was old enough 20 years ago to be in Jedi training, shouldn't be at least be able to talk and have some degree of responsibility? I know his species ages slowly, but regardless, I would not want to train a toddler how to use the Force. And Grogu has thus far shown no more maturity than a toddler.

In this season on the one hand there is far to much happening for this little bit of plot.

On the other hand Mando is running currently through a lot of fundamental changes in his life that is not really digged into. Many things that he believed in are falling apart. The helmet thing, the codex of mandalore, the codex of the bounty hunters. Is he still a bounty hunter or just a nurse Mando now? Nobody knows.

No writer / director takes the time to show what this does to Mando. What goes on inside the child? They are just hurrying from one action sequence to the other.

That development thing was much better in the first season. 

12 hours ago, Datameister said:

I've also been feeling weird about Grogu's development. If he was old enough 20 years ago to be in Jedi training, shouldn't be at least be able to talk and have some degree of responsibility?

Also, having Yoda’s species age slowly undercuts how wise Yoda was supposed to be.

We all thought “wow, this guy has been around for 800 years, imagine all the wisdom he has accumulated” but if Yoda’s race age slower, both physically and mentally, that means that there’s really no room to process all the accumulated wisdom.

Does that that mean he went through a rebellious “teenage-phase” for about 100 years? 😂

Also, does that mean he didn’t really come into his own until about the age of 300? That’s a long time to be dicking around!

Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian Sets Season 2 Special for Christmas Day

Disney+ has announced the second installment of their Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian with a two-hour long special titled “Making of Season Two,” which will give fans an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the latest season of the acclaimed Star Wars series. The special documentary is scheduled to make its debut on Friday, December 25, one week after The Mandalorian Season 2 finale.

Yeah so that just happened

I feel no shame in enjoying this season, despite its shortcoming. Loving Star Wars despite itself has sort of always been the gig

Damn if that all wasn't satisying tonight

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh wow. Tons of good stuff here. Too bad the CG/deepfake/whatever on Luke was a little dodgy.

Great score!

Right, I am glad they only used it in that scene, and avoided it during the fight

CGI was video game level cringe. Kinda ruined the reveal. Wasn't up to snuff like Hank Pym/Michael Douglas in Ant-Man. 

People were speculating it was going to be Mace Windu and tbh, I'd prefer that to this CGI abomination.

Geez, didn't they learn anything from the Peter Cushing fiasco, or Leia in ROGUE ONE? The deepfake/CGI face of Luke was atrocious. I love the fact that they wanted to introduce an icon at the season finale, but why couldn't they have gotten someone with make-up instead? Hey Hollywood, sorry to break it to ya, but WE'RE NOT THERE YET in terms of credible fx for this type of stuff!

Otherwise, a great episode and great season. The post-credits sequence was neat too. This time, I think they got the original actor who played Jabba's 'assistant' in the OT, right?

22 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

In the scene where Luke was slaughtering the droids in the aisle in front of the door did anybody else hear some kind of Terminator music?

I think so, yes. Also when they were booting up. But I try to block out Göransson's atrocious music when I watch this series.

Unlike many of you, I love the recipe of sticking to a place and the "anthology"-like, repeat structure of similar plots in each episode. Not everything needs to have a forward narrative momentum. RISE OF SKYWALKER is perhaps the biggest offender in that regard, where everything was so rushed and plot-driven that we lost our ability to absorb a a place and its characters. THE MANDALORIAN has succeeded wonderfully in that regard. And so did the massively underrated SOLO -- the second best film of the new ones after TFA.

S2 finale was cool. Luke too. Up until he spoke.

So that’s it? I watched two seasons of the Mandalorian and baby Yoda only to have Luke come and split them up?

I mean, it makes sense, but it’s not a very fulfilling ending narratively.

So what now? Luke takes baby Yoda to his Jedi school - and he is one of the younglings that Kylo kills?

1 minute ago, rough cut said:

So what now? Luke takes baby Yoda to his Jedi school - and he is one of the younglings that Kylo kills?

Hopefully not. I hope we get to know more about Grogu's fate in some later installment. There's supposed to be a third season of THE MANDALORIAN, right?

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

CGI was video game level cringe. Kinda ruined the reveal. Wasn't up to snuff like Hank Pym/Michael Douglas in Ant-Man. 

People were speculating it was going to be Mace Windu and tbh, I'd prefer that to this CGI abomination.

I twas never going to be that good because Marvel has used the original actors and "de-aged" them. This was a complete deep fake face-swap. Not perfect, but better than Leia in Rogue One!   

48 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I don't see how Mando season 3 isn't the last season without Gorgu.

Battle for Mandalore. I also think the Kid will return eventually--Mando's last words were more than sentiment. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Geez, didn't they learn anything from the Peter Cushing fiasco, or Leia in ROGUE ONE? The deepfake/CGI face of Luke was atrocious. I love the fact that they wanted to introduce an icon at the season finale, but why couldn't they have gotten someone with make-up instead? Hey Hollywood, sorry to break it to ya, but WE'RE NOT THERE YET in terms of credible fx for this type of stuff!

Otherwise, a great episode and great season. The post-credits sequence was neat too. This time, I think they got the original actor who played Jabba's 'assistant' in the OT, right?

No. Sound designer Matt Wood reprised his cameo as Bib Fortuna from the Phantom Menace.

I can’t remember who played the character in Return of the Jedi

Ok I must admit the Finale was BIIIIIG.

But, it was so predictable.

But... it was hot. :P

It remains a serie named Mando, about a guy we just saw his face two times, and where greater characters than him always ended up stealing the show. 

In fact, I think The Madolarian can't survive without Grogu... so, the season III will be again, very predictable.

And that's the main problem with "prequels", because we already know the end of the story.