The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So how long until this thread is left to the people enthusiastic/optimistic about both this show and the future shows?  The whining gets kinda old.  Take it to the Disenchantment thread!

I for one think the network of interconnected live-action D+ series is Lucasfilm finally learning all the right lessons from Marvel.  That balance of a thing telling its own story while also at the same time fitting in to a larger fabric is just inherently fun to watch play out for me and many millions of other people.  And I think Favreau/Filoni/Kennedy will be able to avoid the pitfalls we've seen other lesser companies have fallen into when attempting to created a cinematic universe.

I agree with Disco Stu! 

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So how long until this thread is left to the people enthusiastic/optimistic about both this show and the future shows?  The whining gets kinda old.  Take it to the Disenchantment thread!

I for one think the network of interconnected live-action D+ series is Lucasfilm finally learning all the right lessons from Marvel.  That balance of a thing telling its own story while also at the same time fitting in to a larger fabric is just inherently fun to watch play out for me and many millions of other people.  And I think Favreau/Filoni/Kennedy will be able to avoid the pitfalls we've seen other lesser companies have fallen into when attempting to create a cinematic universe.

Your conflation of anything negative, even when it’s reasoned, as ‘whining’ is truly baffling, and trying to banish said criticism to another thread is rather pathetic, I’m not going to lie

You know what also gets old? Mindless praise and attempts to gloss over issues instead of responding to them and engaging with counterpoints 

If you removed any kind of dissent then what is the point of having a discussion in which everyone just agrees with each other?

15 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

I think he's talking about 'The Tragedy', where the Dark Troopers swooped in, kidnapped Grogu and nobody could do anything to stop them

Mando couldn’t do anything to stop them because he rather stupidly forgot to pick his jet pack back up. You could tell the writers were like ‘hmm how do we make the Darktroopers get away with this’ and decided that having Boba Fett tell him to take off his jet pack and him forgetting it was the answer. Which is an...inelegant solution to say the least, and doesn’t do wonders for the main character’s intelligence - especially when they establish that the jet pack can be remote controlled from a distance in Ep2

I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m out of touch from the general public fan, but that doesn’t mean that it’s good or acceptable from an artistic and even an entertainment standpoint. It just means the expectations for Star Wars have significantly lowered, and the general public are willing to put up with more than they would’ve in the past. Or more cynically, the expectations for large corporately produced entertainment in general have dropped significantly. However, I’m not sure why you would try and make an argument along the lines of ‘Average Joe from down the street liked it, clearly this is what a real fan is, and the creators should pander to these very uncritical people’. Imagine that argument applied to a franchise you’re critical of, I don’t think you would accept the message nearly as much. 

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

You know what also gets old? Mindless praise and attempts to gloss over issues instead of responding to them and engaging with counterpoints 

If you removed any kind of dissent then what is the point of having a discussion in which everyone just agrees with each other?

Well said. Imagine how fucking boring this forum (or any other) would be if it existed in some sort of enduring state of perfect agreeable harmony amongst its members. Basically, the Stu and Jason ideology of how online discourse should take place, with the occasional, "oh no old bean, I'm afraid we diverge there somewhat, but let us not dwell on it."  Yaaaaaaaaawn to that. 

Don't worry, it's a massively unpopular fantasy, probably because it's impossible. 

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Well said. Imagine how fucking boring this forum (or any other) would be if it existed in some sort of enduring state of perfect agreeable harmony amongst its members. Basically, the Stu and Jason ideology of how online discourse should take place, with the occasional, "oh no old bean, I'm afraid we diverge there somewhat, but let us not dwell on it."  Yaaaaaaaaawn to that. 

Don't worry, it's a massively unpopular fantasy, probably because it's impossible. 

I can't think of a single time I've ever said that people shouldn't be allowed to disagree or that all opinions aren't welcome. I think you're mixing me up with someone else 

So I guess it’s widely theorized that the spate of post ROTJ shows (Mando, Ahsoka, Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic) will culminate in a big event series (or movie!) taking on Thrawn. Could be cool as hell.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

So I guess it’s widely theorized that the spate of post ROTJ shows (Mando, Ahsoka, Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic) will culminate in a big event series (or movie!) taking on Thrawn. Could be cool as hell.

I'd be down for them to commit to a big event that kind of defines the post-ROTJ era before any of the Sequel Trilogy stuff starts to happen

I just hope each show is able to stand on its own as well as being a piece of a larger thing

On 1/4/2021 at 2:31 AM, Romão said:

There was no fan service in the Original Trilogy. Never did a character get introduced with the characterization gaps already filled in some other medium. Whenever something was mentioned concerning the larger world outside the main story, it was never about past events or winks to the fans. It was natural, organic, effortless.

Boba Fett was some kind of fan service, wasnt he?

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You're just realizing this now?

No I'm not just realizing it now.

I still think "The Tragedy" was a great episode.  Great action set-up of protecting Grogu at the top of the mountain, awesome character action beats for Boba and Fennec, the jaw-dropping destruction of the Razor Crest, the "Nooooo!" of the Dark Troopers flying down.  Screw the haters, I had a great time revisiting that one!

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Might be my favorite episode of the season!  The Slave One appearance was much more effective in the "oh shit" department than the Luke's X-wing appearance (since Luke's appearance at the end of the finale was preordained the moment Ahsoka started talking about the Jedi rock, but it was always a mystery when and how Fett was going to show up).  I suspect Fett's appearance satisfied the "Boba is Bad-ass" people who loved his comics and novels portrayal because he whooped those troopers, and it satisfied me because it wasn't really like that portrayal at all (he wasn't some emotionless bounty hunting machine only out for himself like the Del Rey novels and the comic portrayed him).  The action of the episode was great, the conceit of the episode was good, there were some good reveals, and it was one of the only times this season that the show didn't fall into the "welcome to our planet - we will help you, but only if you help us resolve this local dispute" pit - which is fine, but little shake-ups are still nice.

Anyway, looking forward to Mando season 3 when ol' Darksaber-wielding Din Djarin runs into the remnants of his old grumbly Mando clan and gets the same second degree he got in season one - "Have you ever removed your helmet?" Does he lie?  Does he tell them the truth?  And either way, what's the fallout?

8 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Boba Fett was some kind of fan service, wasnt he?

Only in the sense he was introduced in the Holiday Special, but it's not like you needed any extra material to fill in the blanks in his story in The Empire Strikes Back

That's Hamill basically saying that he too would have preferred more of a "fan service" orientated Luke in the sequel trilogy. When he signed up, he expected to portray the character as the badass jedi master he bid farewell to in ROTJ. 

I mean, could you blame him? I'm sure Liam Neeson didn't accept all these Taken sequel roles because the character he played was a grumpy old failure.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Anyway, looking forward to Mando season 3 when ol' Darksaber-wielding Din Djarin runs into the remnants of his old grumbly Mando clan and gets the same second degree he got in season one - "Have you ever removed your helmet?" Does he lie?  Does he tell them the truth?  And either way, what's the fallout?

Yes, I'm really hoping for him to reunite with the Armorer (and maybe like a ruling panel of Death Watch or something) so he can confront them with questions of why he was raised in the dark about what larger Mandalorian society had been.  I mean of course we can make logical assumptions about their reasons for collecting foundlings from around the galaxy and raising them as like the new Mandalore that adheres to their ideas.  It could make for interesting drama to have Din begin questioning this upbringing.

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

My favourite episode of the season was probably the snow planet one, it had it all for this sort of thing. 

I liked that episode as well. The spiders were a terrifying threat! 

I also think Hamill may be regretting having neglected Luke's character from 1983 to 2015, as in he never reprised the role ever, not in videogames or any kind of voice over, IRRC. Had he been interested we could have some of the imagery that the season 2 finale gave us.

Imagine Jedi Outcast with cinematics like the first game just because mark hamill wanted to play the role.... or things like that.

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I also think Hamill may be regretting having neglected Luke's character from 1983 to 2015, as in he never reprised the role ever, not in videogames or any kind of voice over, IRRC. Had he been interested we could have some of the imagery that the season 2 finale gave us.

Imagine Jedi Outcast with cinematics like the first game just because mark hamill wanted to play the role.... or things like that.

New Jedi Order Trailer....

24 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

New Jedi Order Trailer....

I stumbled across this commercial again not long ago. I remember seeing it at the time and it was crazy cool at the time.

Never ended up reading the series.

Its really long, and a slow burn, but it transformed the EU going forward IMHO starting with Greg Keyes two entries.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There's where you and I diverge, but I didn't care for large swaths of the EW.

The Entertainment Weekly?

I think I would’ve enjoyed ‘The Tragedy’ a lot more if the Stormtroopers made a single smart decision, or our cast of characters for that matter

I still remember when the trooper set up an E-Web that couldn’t hit Fennec running in a straight line. If the poor bastard had aimed ahead then maybe Fennec would’ve tried to take cover behind the rock instead of just running in the open

Or the pierce de resistance of Fennec getting rid of her cover by kicking down a boulder that not a single stormtrooper tries to dodge out of the way from, to the point one of them on the E-Web thinks it makes the most sense to...stay and shoot the boulder? Did he think he was going to be able to shoot it into a pebble that would just bounce harmlessly off him?

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

Did he think he was going to be able to shoot it into a pebble that would just bounce harmlessly off him?

That would have actually been amazing haha. Plus it would show one stormtrooper was competent, without killing off any heroes.

20 hours ago, Smeltington said:

That would have actually been amazing haha. Plus it would show one stormtrooper was competent, without killing off any heroes.

I would’ve laughed because it would mean they had to break physics that badly to make a Stormtrooper somewhat succeed

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the originals the physics of things were quite grounded weren’t they? I’m not fond of the Loony Tunes style shenanigans that the Prequels seem to have introduced to the series

Unlike me, one of our Celluloid Tunes contributors loves the MANDALORIAN music. He writes about it in this article, and compares it to Balfe's HIS DARK MATERIALS (a series I did not care for, but with music I did like -- so the opposite of MANDO, where I liked the show and didn't like the music):

http://celluloidtunes.no/dark-beskar-lorne-and-ludwig-battle-it-out/

It's in English.

9 hours ago, Alex said:

I finally got around to watching this. I’ve been binge watching it over the last couple of weeks.

As a stand-alone series it’s pretty solid. I can’t say I was enthralled by it but it was certainly watchable. As a Star Wars production, I’m not sure, as I’m more of a casual Star Wars fan so I miss a lot of the Easter eggs and characters like Ahsoka Tano mean nothing to me.

Goransson’s score is very hit and miss for me apart from the main theme. He goes from RCP nonsense to some genuinely nice stuff. Funnily enough, I felt this series would have presented JW with some much more interesting material to work with than the sequels.

Hey stop reading my thoughts verbatim.