The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

The Mandalorian Goes To #1 On Nielsen’s Streaming Top 10

With Luke Skywalker returning in the finale of The Mandalorian Season 2, this propelled the show to do something it hadn't accomplished until now. Variety.com reports that over the week of December 14th, The Mandalorian grabbed the top spot on Nielsen’s Top 10 programs list, beating out The Office all while setting a weekly record for the Disney+ series, registering around 1.34 billion minutes of view time.

Here are the top 10 streaming shows as they placed:

“The Mandalorian” (Disney Plus) (16 episodes) – 1,336 minutes (millions)

“The Office” (Netflix) (192 episodes) – 1,311 (millions)

“The Crown” (Netflix) (40 episodes) – 772 minutes (millions)

“Grey’s Anatomy” (Netflix) (366 episodes) – 762 minutes (millions)

“Manhunt: Deadly Games” (Netflix) (10 episodes) – 712 minutes (millions)

“Supernatural” (Netflix) (327 episodes) – 684 minutes (millions)

“Virgin River” (Netflix) (20 episodes) – 948 minutes (millions)

“Criminal Minds” (Netflix) (277 episodes) – 651 minutes (millions)

“Schitt’s Creek” (Netflix) (80 episodes) – 597 minutes (millions)

“A California Christmas” (Netflix) (movie) – 581 minutes (millions)

Source: Variety.com

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/The_Mandalorian_Goes_To_1_On_Nielsens_Streaming_Top_10_188227.asp

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Unfortunately all those other shows are going to culminate in some sort of event, which could be part of Mando 3.

That's what was in the back of my mind as I was typing that too...I'm not against event TV, some of my favourite stories in Torchwood and Doctor Who was a result of that interconnectivity. I just see it as being a very big risk to a show that billed itself as a standalone adventure set in the more obscure parts of the Star Wars galaxy.

• 2 months later...

Dave Filoni said this about the upcoming season 3:

"There's a lot of new adventures coming up. I have to be careful, I can't really say anything specific, but I think the Force will be strong with this, let's just say that."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/star_wars/the_mandalorian/the-mandalorian-dave-filoni-says-the-force-will-be-strong-with-season-3-of-the-disney-series-a184537

Fans are speculating that S3 will have more Jedi due to Filoni mentioning the Force.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This isn't about The Mandalorian per se, but the LED screen panel "volume" stage that the show pioneered the mainstream use of continues to take over the industry (or at least Disney, which is basically the whole industry anyway).

ILM Plans Expansion With Virtual Production Stage in Vancouver

Now ILM will have 5 of these 360-degree LED stages around the world: 3 in Los Angeles, 1 in London, and 1 in Vancouver.  The one in Vancouver will be 20,000 square feet!

I didn't know this but apparently they also built a "temporary" volume in Sydney, Australia, for Thor: Love and Thunder.

It's an interesting experiment, but I fear it will replace filming in actual locations, since you can do all sorts of scenary you want with these LED screens.

OTOH, I think Covid made travelling to other countries to film more difficult, so at least for the foreseeable future, more and more films and shows will use this technology.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's an interesting experiment, but I fear it will replace filming in actual locations, since you can do all sorts of scenary you want with these LED screens.

OTOH, I think Covid made travelling to other countries to film more difficult, so at least for the foreseeable future, more and more films and shows will use this technology.

Attracting and retaining viewers to Disney+ means producing high production value "event" entertainment at a greater volume than ever before so this approach makes sense as a way to gain the feel of huge budget tentpole movies for multiple multi-hour series a year.

When will the bubble burst though?  Who knows!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2021 at 3:19 AM, Edmilson said:

Yeah I think this has a lot of pros and cons. One major benefit of less location work (aside from being cheaper) is less potential for environmental damage; air and ground travel for location scouting and moving cast and crew contributing to fossil pollutants, improper or careless behaviour impacting local ecosystems etc.

On the other hand, many countries financially benefit from location shooting; many crew contractors and actors in Australia get the bulk of their work from international films being shot here for example. Not to mention the knock-on effect to tourism that results from location shoots (like New Zealand after LOTR or Tunisia after Star Wars).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Season 3 has wrapped filming

Anyone know how long of a time there was between season 1 and 2's filming and premiere?

Around March 8 2020. Guess the show will aired somewhere next January after Avatar's first month

To avoid competition I would assume. To push people to go in theaters immediatly while the studio earns most of the ticket price instead of staying home watching a show.

I may recall wrongly but one of the season of Stranger Things was released the same day as a big theatrical release and giving the massive wait for the new season the movie scored poorly on its first week-end

55 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

To avoid competition I would assume. To push people to go in theaters immediatly while the studio earns most of the ticket price instead of staying home watching a show.

I dunno if that makes sense to me.  The first season of The Mandalorian was running when TROS opened in theaters, and even had an episode moved up to Wednesday instead of Friday to show force healing in the show before the movie.

55 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I may recall wrongly but one of the season of Stranger Things was released the same day as a big theatrical release and giving the massive wait for the new season the movie scored poorly on its first week-end

Doesn't seem like you're thinking of the right show

Season 2 dropped on Friday, October 27, 2017, and the wide releases that weekend were Jigsaw, Thank You For Your Service, and Suburbicon

Season 3 dropped on Thursday, July 4, 2019, and the wide releases that weekend were Spider-man: Far From Home and Midsommar.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno if that makes sense to me.  The first season of The Mandalorian was running when TROS opened in theaters, and even had an episode moved up to Wednesday instead of Friday to show force healing in the show before the movie.

I completely forgot they did that, that seems like a lifetime ago....:o

Nope not true, all 8 episodes of Mando season 1 released in a row without any off weeks.  The first week had 2 episodes (Tuesday and Friday), and then the remaining six episodes came right after on the following six Fridays, except for episode 7, which aired early like I already said - Wednesday instead of Friday - because of the force healing thing.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Brando said:

Wonder why they're not keeping with December this time around:blink:

Season 1 began in November and season 2 began in October

September is still the summer

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Season 1 began in November and season 2 began in October

September is still the summer

Guess I've lost my concept of time again:lol: