The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2023 at 12:16 PM, Jay said:

I've been listening to the season 1 scores again in anticipation, getting hyped!  Gotta listen to season 2 scores too soon

I’m afraid to listen because then I’ll remember how much music is missing from season 2!

Chapter 17

Loved the episode. It is very much a set-up for the rest of the season, but it has some great stuff in here.

There 2 really cool fight scenes. The one at the beginning reminded me a bit of the creature fight in Ep. 1 of S2. And I thought it was a flashback until suddenly Mando arrived on his ship. That was very cool.

Then the ship chase in the asteroid field. It had some vibes of the Obi-Wan/Jango chase from AOTC, which was really cool. I love how fast Mando's ship is now and that he can makes those fast turns and hide behind things. It was really cool.

It was great seeing both Carl Weathers & Katee Sackhoff again. Both characters in a very different state of mind. And it was fun to see all the easter eggs: the Babu Frick aliens and all the other aliens in Nevarro, IG-11 (which will probably have a bigger role in the season) & the hyperspace creatures from Rebels!!!

I really loved parts of Andor, but this to me feels really like Star Wars and I'm so happy it's back.

As for Shirley's score.. it was incredible. There's a lot lf reworking of Göransson's main theme whenever Mando is on screen, but it's incredibly well done that it doesn't bother me. I'm sure Shirley will get to comppse so cool new stuff for the series. And how I wish we got episodic albums again for this season, but I'm afraid that won't be the case. I at least hope it'll be more music than the Season 2 albums

Great first episode! I really liked the baptism rite at the beginning, and for a moment there I thought it was a flashback of Din Djarin's ceremony. It was great seeing Nevarro again, but in such a different way, and it really makes it feel like a new era is starting, after the darkness and grittines of the empire era we saw in the previous two seasons in the planet. I love the detail of IG-11's statue and I guess the droid will become more important during the season, since Mando wants to bring him back online.

The space chase was so fun, and the pirate lord looks menacing but also a bit corny, and I hope we get to see a bit more of the pirates in live action, since I really liked those parts in the animation shows. Bo Katan looks great, and I think the conflict that will arise between her and Mando, and the fight over Mandalore is going to be one of the highlights of the season.

As for the music, Joseph Shirley did a great job continuing Goransson's sounds and motifs, and there were a couple of cool moments here and there that I hope they make it onto the album. I wish we could get a weekly release, but I guess they will just stick with the two volume releases like with Mando S2 and Book of Boba Fett.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested, I will also be doing a short write-up on the music of each episode, just like I did with House of the Dragon and the Rings of Power, so feel free to check it out in here:

3x01: Chapter 17 - The Apostate

OK. The pirates looked like cursed creatures from Pirates of the Caribean and the story is a mess as usual. But this episode was the most cinematic episode of The Mandalorian. The images are great. And the score is easily the best so far (which is not so hard). Looking forward to what is coming. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the opening was a flashback. I'm starting to think that was intentional.

It was nice to see the shadow of the purrgill, making their live action debut.

Nevarro looks GORGEOUS, almost like something out of LOTR. To think it used to be Mos Eisley 2.0. As Mando says, "It doesn't even look like the same place".

I hope Weathers gets more to do this season than in Season 2. And it was interesting to hear them explain away Carano's absence.

The Babu Frik aliens had me chuckling. But why did Greef Karga need to translate? Did Mando really have that much trouble understanding them?

Did Koska Reeve abandon Bo-Katan as well? Or was she just off somewhere else?

Shirley's music stood out to me most during the asteroid chase (and a bit during the opening). I did appreciate how he manipulated the theme throughout.

10 minutes ago, Cameron007 said:

I'

The Babu Frik aliens had me chuckling. But why did Greef Karga need to translate? Did Mando really have that much trouble understanding them?

After they stopped speaking Huttese, he didnt need him to, I think that was the joke. That's why he kept looking at Greef the way he was.

43 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

What was the excuse? 

Greef tells Mando she was recruited by the Republic for some other work.

18 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

That was very cool.

I agree!

very cool.

Yes!!!

It was really cool.

It sure was!

19 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

this to me feels really like Star Wars and I'm so happy it's back.

Me too!  I could not agree more. 

I am smiling along with you, because it was really cool.   And at the end of a long day, that’s all I need Star Wars to be.

I thought the CG on the giant monster was particularly good, better than a lot of other CG creations in films these days. Better than Jurassic World Dominions' dinosaurs...

36 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I thought the CG on the giant monster was particularly good, better than a lot of other CG creations in films these days. Better than Jurassic World Dominions' dinosaurs...

Come on, it was the mossasaurus with a crocodile body. Same quality. Which is great for a TV show...

I just watched the episode, and it was great ! Even if the plot is still simple, and full of secondary stories nobody cares for, I kept a smile the whole episode, and I guess that’s what it was made for !

Anyone get the impression the jerky movement of IG-11 was an intentional homage to the Endoskeleton stop motion at the climax of The Terminator? (Although in the grabby scene it paralleled, they originally used a practical technique) But I definitely got Terminator vibes. 

39 minutes ago, Andy said:

Anyone get the impression the jerky movement of IG-11 was an intentional homage to the Endoskeleton stop motion at the climax of The Terminator? (Although in the grabby scene it paralleled, they originally used a practical technique) But I definitely got Terminator vibes. 

Oh 100% got Terminator vibes. Especially with the 'guts' of the droid dangling out at the bottom of the lower half, JUST like Terminator. I thought that was an awesome little tribute.

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

I’m not seeing both, otherwise this episode (and show for that matter) would be panned

Andor got a whole bunch of praise from several members here,and some from you as well I thought....

All I really want is something to enjoy with friends and family, all else is extra.

I think he wants ig-11 with kuill nanny reprogramming to take care for grogu. Possibly attaching a backpack or something. The floating craddle is not very protective… unless he makes a beskar one.

and they just love to resuscitate dead loved characters lately…

i had just read that favreau said grogu spent two years with luke so go figure….

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

i had just read that favreau said grogu spent two years with luke so go figure….

I read that was a misinterpretation, and he actually said it was two years since season 2's ending.

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Why does Din even need a droid? He believes that it's possible to go to the surface of Mandalore, so what difference does it make?

He believes, but he doesn't know.

I assume, He doesn't wanna be stupid and just land and die, or have to listen to nerd criticism ;)

is-there-air.gif

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

How would getting a new memory unit for IG-11 be any different than just using another droid? He's been reset to the original programming, by putting in a new memory unit would he still not be the reprogrammed version?

Did it say he reset? If it did ignore the rest of this.

Perhaps, Blbecause the old unit was broken, it changed the way the information was accessed, with a new unit, the new programming could be downloaded, and accessed

20 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

it drives me mad when people are like ‘now this is real Star Wars’, as if the only thing that defines it is it’s ‘cool’ with lots of droids and space battles and aliens

They’re right, Darth