The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

On 11/13/2020 at 5:28 AM, Holko said:

I'm no fan of CW and rebels but it's a lot more interesting if Ahsoka will teach Baby Yoda than if they just plomped him off at Luke's to be murdered before he learns to speak.

I think it'd be cool if both Ahsoka and Baby Yoda were sent to Luke to be murdered

I could do without the tie-ins. I have very little interest in any of the animated series, so for me it just feels like I'm missing stuff...but it's not stuff I particularly want to take the time to learn.

I'm very aware that there are plenty of people who feel very differently about the animated shows and/or the tie-ins. Maybe this season will somehow get me onboard with that.

Expecting a show called The Mandalorian (not the Lone Gunslinger or whatever) created/spearheaded by two people involved with the animated series to not have any connection to Mandalorian lore established in those series seems a little strange to me.

I mean the Dark saber, Din Djarin's parents dying in the CW, Din being rescued by Death Watch, Paz Vizsla, were already in SE1....

6 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I could do without the tie-ins. I have very little interest in any of the animated series, so for me it just feels like I'm missing stuff...but it's not stuff I particularly want to take the time to learn.

I'm very aware that there are plenty of people who feel very differently about the animated shows and/or the tie-ins. Maybe this season will somehow get me onboard with that.

I felt like the animated shows would be childish and clumsy and for the first season of Clone Wars, that's true very often, but the kiddiness subsides over time and it actually does a really great job of subtly darkening the universe for children. I am glad I chose to invest time in it. We get to see many of the Jedi Masters who are so thoughtlessly slaughtered by Lucas in ROTS at the height of their prowess and it reverse-engineers Sith into being a better, more impactful film. There is also a lot of dark discussion over the Clones and what happens to them against their will to make them turn against their friends and companions. Not to mention the Ahsoka-Anakin relationship during the Separatist conflict sharpens over time Anakin's disillusion with the Jedi and provides a foil for his aggressive techniques and also his growing respect for the militaristic approach of fascist government structures.

Especially if you watch it the way it was aired (Clone Wars 1-6, Rebels 1-4, then Clone Wars 7), you get a really great narrative, paced rather beautifully and summed up without being pretentious or showy. We already knew where it was headed and they didn't pander to fan-service like so often. They didn't have to because they told a simple story instead.

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

See I feel the same way about the cartoons: I refuse to engage in anything that looks like moving Lunchables package art, but so far I haven't felt that they've detracted from Mando...I try to divorce whatever knowledge I might have gained about this stuff from osmosis, and if I didn't know Ahsoka Tano was some Clone Wars character, I'd just assume this Mando lady knew a Jedi by that name.

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

I admit I've never really given anything past the first season or so of Clone Wars a chance. I was pretty turned off by the vibe of the early episodes.

I don't think most people, avid Clone Wars fans either, really liked the first season or so of TCW all that much. Season 3 is basically when the series takes off. Even the animation style changed slightly around that time.

Let's not forget, Clone Wars was aired out of order making things difficult. One thing I appreciate about the aesthetics of the series was the CGI was made to be on par with the visual style of the Prequels, whilst using the painterly textures that would become bolder for Rebels and the McQuarrie artworks of the OT. I find it's the story that carries the show over the art style, however. 

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

Much of the recent history of Mandalore and their culture was covered in Clone Wars and Rebels that it would be silly to ignore it, especially for returning characters - Bo Katan for instance was the leader of the Mandalorians at one point, and the Dark Saber was a significant piece of their heritage and history. I think this show should embrace the larger Star Wars universe and I can't wait for everything to feel more a part of that world. 

If they were to ignore the pre-established canon just to please a tiny minority of viewers, all that would do is anger and confuse the hardcore fans who are familiar with the lore.

I think one of the main problems with the sequel trilogy for example, and a key reason why a lot of people don't like those films, is that they feel very disconnected from the rest of the story. They basically ignored the other media in order to please the minority; and it ended up completely backfiring.

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think one of the main problems with the sequel trilogy for example, and a key reason why a lot of people don't like those films, is that they feel very disconnected from the rest of the story. They basically ignored the other media in order to please the minority; and it ended up completely backfiring.

THAT

I've seen all the animated shows, and find it neat that they reference that. But I have nowhere near the intricate, detailed knowledge of the universe that you guys seem to have. A lot of the plot points I picked up while watching these shows, I've now forgotten, so I'm just along for the ride. Unlike a previous poster, I absolutely LOVE that it's not so plot-driven; that there is time to just take in the settings and people along the way. A kind of "being there" philosophy that I can get behind.

Curious to see how Ahsoka will look 'live'. And hoping Boba Fett will return; surely, we must get more than the short tease in the last episode.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've seen all the animated shows, and find it neat that they reference that. But I have nowhere near the intricate, detailed knowledge of the universe that you guys seem to have. A lot of the plot points I picked up while watching these shows, I've now forgotten, so I'm just along for the ride. Unlike a previous poster, I absolutely LOVE that it's not so plot-driven; that there is time to just take in the settings and people along the way. A kind of "being there" philosophy that I can get behind.

Curious to see how Ahsoka will look 'live'. And hoping Boba Fett will return; surely, we must get more than the short tease in the last episode.

I never complained about lack of plot, but rather, lack of story. I would say around 90% of the dialogue in this show is pure exposition

I heard a good description of the show on a podcast recently.  They likened it to a classic Saturday morning kids show primarily designed to sell toys, yet live action, with a massive budget, and the ability to draw in 4 decades of lore

Oh yea this would be my favorite show in the world if I were a kid.  My coworkers who have kids the right age love watching it with them

Was nobody confused that that Mandalorian queem that appeared in the last Mando episode should be around 70 years old there? I mean, she was probably in her 30th or at least end 20s during the clone wars. At the end of that Luke and Leia were born. "The Mandalorian" should take place about 7 years after the battle of Endor, so probably about 40 years after the end of the clone wars. That does not really work. Does it?

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

At the end of that Luke and Leia were born. "The Mandalorian" should take place about 7 years after the battle of Endor, so probably about 40 years after the end of the clone wars.

SW77 is 19 years after the end of the Clone Wars. Mando is 9 years after RotJ. So it's more like 31-ish, still your point stands.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Was nobody confused that that Mandalorian queem that appeared in the last Mando episode should be around 70 years old there? I mean, she was probably in her 30th or at least end 20s during the clone wars. At the end of that Luke and Leia were born. "The Mandalorian" should take place about 7 years after the battle of Endor, so probably about 40 years after the end of the clone wars. That does not really work. Does it?

First of all, she's not a "queen". Second, she was in her early 20's in TCW. Therefore she would be approx. 40 in ANH, plus 3 years in ESB, and plus 1 year in ROTJ, and then plus 6 years after the battle of Endor. Therefore she's about 50 in The Mandalorian, not too much older than the actress (who is in her 40's).

We see Sabine give her the darksaber in Rebels and she is not that old then and that leads up almost directly to the Battle of Yavin. It is something that happens towards the end of that series. So add 9 years to her age at the end of Rebels. Do I think she looks young? Yes, but these are alien humanoids. Who knows how well the Mandalorians age.

16 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

And then there's Obi-Wan. He's about 50 in ANH. Yikes.

The Two suns is murder on heesa skin!

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Isn't Baby Yoda like 90 years old or something? So yeah, agespans work differently over there.

For the Yoda species, yes, for Humans like Luke and Leia, they age like we do. For the record I'm not complaining about the disparity. 

3 hours ago, blondheim said:

Not to mention the PTSD.

And a Death Stick addiction.

13 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

First of all, she's not a "queen". Second, she was in her early 20's in TCW. Therefore she would be approx. 40 in ANH, plus 3 years in ESB, and plus 1 year in ROTJ, and then plus 6 years after the battle of Endor. Therefore she's about 50 in The Mandalorian, not too much older than the actress (who is in her 40's).

I know that has been vitaly discussed. But it is still funny that at a point where the extermination of the Jedi, who protected the republic for more than a thousand years, is just 30 years ago, the seem to have vanished from the contiousness of most of the people, and that in a galaxy where most of the life forms seem to have a life expectancy between 200 and 900 years.

Anyway, the last episode was quite entertaining. But the so called world building in Star Wars has become a laugh in the hands of Disney. Actually, it happened when they declared the animated series (which I really liked) canon. I liked the clone wars and rebels as some kind of What if... stories but not as actual part of the main story. That does not really work.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I know that has been vitaly discussed. But it is still funny that at a point where the extermination of the Jedi, who protected the republic for more than a thousand years, is just 30 years ago, the seem to have vanished from the contiousness of most of the people, and that in a galaxy where most of the life forms seem to have a life expectancy between 200 and 900 years.

Perhaps everyone in that galaxy has short-term memory loss. Maybe instead of oxygen they're breathing in carbon monoxide.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

The jedi were just keeping a very low profile before they were exterminated.

10 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Perhaps everyone in that galaxy has short-term memory loss. Maybe instead of oxygen they're breathing in carbon monoxide.

When Palpatine assumed power, obviously he used The Shroud of the Dark Side, Secrets Only The Sith Knew, or more directly, Force Obliviate.

31 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

For sure they breath in too much carbon dioxid because most of them are wearing some kind of helmet for no reason.

When the first three films came out, I was thinking that a lot of species where wearing helmets because they have different atmosphere on their planets. So, it makes sense that they wear helmets to be able to breath the "air" they are used to. But with the prequels and afterwards it turned out that most of the people wearing those helmets were humans and they could breath the local air well. So, that brought up the question to me why they were wearing helmets at all.

Therefore, I really like that in this show they actually give an explanation for the Mandalorians wearing those helmets. 

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

For the Yoda species, yes, for Humans like Luke and Leia, they age like we do. For the record I'm not complaining about the disparity. 

And a Death Stick addiction.

If human is what they are. Just because they appear human, doesn't mean they actually are identical to us. Also, Mandalorians may not be the same as other "humans" in their galaxy

I am merely playing devil's advocate here because I really don't think Bo-Kotan's actual timeline screws anything up. Her first appearance, timeline 21 years before Yavin to 9 years after--that's only 30 years total. If she was in her 20's, she'd be in her 50's. Plenty of women look that great at 50. Especially considering she is about 41 in real life. Playing only ten years older than herself. I don't see anything crazy about all that.

31 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

IRRC jedi aged slower. in TPM the official databases then stated mace windu was like 80 yo, and quigon maybe was in this 70s.

According to Wookieepedia Qui-Gon was 48 in TPM and Mace Windu was 40.

49 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

According to Wookieepedia Qui-Gon was 48 in TPM and Mace Windu was 40.

New canon!

21 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Anyway, the last episode was quite entertaining. But the so called world building in Star Wars has become a laugh in the hands of Disney. Actually, it happened when they declared the animated series (which I really liked) canon. I liked the clone wars and rebels as some kind of What if... stories but not as actual part of the main story. That does not really work.

Were they not canon before? I know there was the great reclassification with Legends and everything, but I was under the impression that CW was already considered canon.

9 hours ago, Datameister said:

Were they not canon before? I know there was the great reclassification with Legends and everything, but I was under the impression that CW was already considered canon.

At one point before the EU became Legends there was a retcon that some of the 2008 Clone Wars series was in universe propaganda, so as to explain away any discrepancies with EU stories, but that was pretty much it.

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

To be clear they're referring to the 2003 Clone Wars microseries, which is no longer canon. The 2008 series is obviously completely canon.

Indeed. And that non-canon 2D "micro series" blows almost anything of the subsequent 3D CLONE WARS out of the water. A shame they didn't go further down that path.

Yes, the short episode style and the dynamic animation really was special, especially for fans of Genndy Tartakovsky's style and other popular series - Samurai Jack.

I don't really know why they removed it from canon, apart from missing Ahsoka, it pretty much slots into the Clone Wars chronology without much interference - the last episode feeds directly into the beginning of RotS...