The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

To be clear they're referring to the 2003 Clone Wars microseries, which is no longer canon. The 2008 series is obviously completely canon.

I was referring to the 2008 series.

So was GerateWohl....

5 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Yes, and the film is just a compiled Pilot for the latter.

With a score that is part orchestra "re-recordings", part synth.

7 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

But none of the 2008 series was made non-canon.

No one said it was, that was GerateWohl's problem with it in the first place!

I said that some of the 2008 series was retconned as being in universe propaganda.

I'm re-starting to watch The Clone Wars. In 2008 I saw the first 2 seasons and stopped because I found it very dull. I know there're many fans and, as always, "the series gets better from Season X onwards" (not sure which is X for this one hahahaha). 

I'm seeing just for completionism...

11 minutes ago, DrTenma said:

I did that about a year ago, as a way to gear up for TROS. Saw everything CLONE WARS, REBELS, RESISTANCE and whatever else I could find. Took me several months. Worth my while too, because otherwise I wouldn't have recognized all the 'force voices' at the end of TROS.

None of it could measure up to the micro series from 2003, though. The gutsiness of that show -- not only in the Western/Japanese animation style, but also the long stretches without much plot or dialogue. Just moods or setpieces; pure visual storytelling (like that amazing Mace Windu fight).

14 minutes ago, DrTenma said:

I'm re-starting to watch The Clone Wars. In 2008 I saw the first 2 seasons and stopped because I found it very dull. I know there're many fans and, as always, "the series gets better from Season X onwards" (not sure which is X for this one hahahaha). 

Most would say SE3 IIRC

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I did that about a year ago, as a way to gear up for TROS. Saw everything CLONE WARS, REBELS, RESISTANCE and whatever else I could find. Took me several months. Worth my while too, because otherwise I wouldn't have recognized all the 'force voices' at the end of TROS.

None of it could measure up to the micro series from 2003, though. The gutsiness of that show -- not only in the Western/Japanese animation style, but also the long stretches without much plot or dialogue. Just moods or setpieces; pure visual storytelling (like that amazing Mace Windu fight).

Yes, I couldn't recognise many of the voices at the end of TROS although I didn't cared about it... Which is sad taking into account how much I used to like the Star Wars saga.

I recall seeing the 2003 show on that year and I barely recall anything apart from being 5 minutes episodes with no interest, so that's why I didn't even tried to see it again.

57 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Most would say SE3 IIRC

Funny that it was precisely when I left the show hahaha I'll keep it in mind.

2 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

I said that some of the 2008 series was retconned as being in universe propaganda.

You're thinking of the 2003 series though. None of the 2008 series was retconned or deemed "propaganda". I think Pablo Hidalgo or someone not too long ago saying that about the 2003 series being propaganda. The 2008 series is fully canon however.

35 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

You're thinking of the 2003 series though. None of the 2008 series was retconned or deemed "propaganda". I think Pablo Hidalgo or someone not too long ago saying that about the 2003 series being propaganda. The 2008 series is fully canon however.

Nope, there was a guide/source book that retconned the 2008, can't remember what it was called though, I heard about it in an episode of Matt Wilkins' "My Expanded Universe" a couple years back.

13 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yeah it should, it's fantastic!

For me it didn`t really fit with the movies.

In episode 3 Anakin was not yet a jedi master. Obi-Wan is still teaching him. Being a master is a precondition for having a padawan. -> missmatch

Second big issue: Darth Mauls resurrection

For a What if-show ok and therefore I liked it. But for actual occurences in the story... I mean, he was cut in half and fell down a mile deep abyss. That always reminds me of a scene from Peter Jacksons Braindead, where the hero cuts off a zombie's head, arms and legs and thinks he killed it. But then the legs of the zombie start kicking himand the guts of the zombie jump out of the body, attack him and try to strangle him. At that point Clone Wars started following the logic of a zombie comedy. Didn't make sense to me as an actual extension of the movies.

30 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Returning to RotS after watching CW made me hate that movie even more than before. Anakin especially. And I didn't even really like most of CW that much.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

In episode 3 Anakin was not yet a jedi master. Obi-Wan is still teaching him. Being a master is a precondition for having a padawan. -> missmatch

In attack of the clones, obi wan is a mere jedi knight. Qui gon also is i think.

The title jedi master is for the council members. 

Of course apprentices call their masters "master" because they are...

Another fun episode! But all the way through the canyon chase I was thinking "oh god oh fuck please don't let all this just amount to backstory for that trash with Snoke or Palps/Rey's dad". Thankfully the final shot looks more like Gideon's working on his own... Special Forces ;)

It feels like we're heading towards the origin story of the First Order. References to something happening that the core systems aren't taking seriously and "the new order".

Also, did I hear the Resistance theme towards the end?

I enjoyed all the episodes so far this season, it seems like there's bit of a narrative emerging. The Snoke (presumably) reference in the latest episode was actually way more interesting that whatever they did in the movies. This season is definitely much grander in scope and the action sequences prove that. If the show has a flaw it's that it still is somewhat plagued in the video game "we'll give you what you want but first you need to do something for me" side quest premise. It's bit stilted like that. I hope the shows eventually commits to a bit smoother long-lined narrative.

Karol

I rationalize the re-used premise as the galaxy is in such turmoil that everyone needs help and the Mandalorian is such a shiny noticeable symbol of strength that they can't help but ask. I say noticeable because he really makes no effort to hide whatsoever most of the time.

I am very curious about the Alien: Resurrection sequence. I have always wanted Gideon to work for/with THRAWN, they seem similarly disciplined. Also, if this is a Snoke reference, it would be cool to tie THRAWN in with Snoke as they are both associated with the Unknown Regions now. THRAWN may be the procurer of new information and technologies out there for the Empire.

Just a cool thought.

16 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I rationalize the re-used premise as the galaxy is in such turmoil that everyone needs help and the Mandalorian is such a shiny noticeable symbol of strength that they can't help but ask. I say noticeable because he really makes no effort to hide whatsoever most of the time.

I am very curious about the Alien: Resurrection sequence. I have always wanted Gideon to work for/with Tarkin, they seem similarly disciplined. Also, if this is a Snoke reference, it would be cool to tie Tarkin in with Snoke as they are both associated with the Unknown Regions now. Tarkin may be the procurer of new information and technologies out there for the Empire.

Just a cool thought.

Tarkin would've been dead for almost 10 years at this point.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Tarkin would've been dead for almost 10 years at this point.

He meant that Tarkin and Gideon worked together before Tarkin died of course.

A joyful reaction to the episode by Sam Witwer on Twitter spawned the theory that the clone in the tank was his Starkiller character from The Force Unleashed video games. Obviously that would include a total revision of that character, as his story took place between ROTS and ANH (if I remember correctly).

could still be a preserved specimen to study...

It would be nice if thrawn returned in a retold version of Heir to the empire trilogy.

Maybe ezra is with ashoka already...i hope she runs an alternate jedi academy from luke skywalker...and that it is not destroyed by kylo ren....

37 minutes ago, blondheim said:

She won't be doing that. She is not pro-Jedi by any means, at least the institution of it. She is more like a female Qui-Gon Jinn, who I also wouldn't see doing this.

Hence Manuel use of the term alt-Jedi.

I don't think she would believe in an academy is my point. The institution of power surrounding the Jedi is what drives her to shed her good soldier mentality in the first place. Like Qui-Gon, I could see her training someone, one-on-one. I don't think she would be into training a whole bunch of Jedi at once, she knows that bureaucracy would inevitably get involved. I especially don't think she would consider herself capable. Do I think that if the Jedi were very much redefined, would she support someone else opening up such an academy? Perhaps, but I still say unlikely.

Obviously this is all conjecture on all our parts. This is just my take on it

The world-building and look of this show is spot on, but the writing for everything else especially the characters is so thin. Being in a serialized format doesn't excuse that, and lately the dialogue has been feeling particularly stilted.

It's a pity because my main draw to Star Wars is the characters, and I also feel like it's a show that doesn't really respect the audience's intelligence. There was a particular moment in the first episode where I picked up on the neat detail that Mando was okay with the pit droids now, but then all subtext is removed when Amy Sedaris character just blurts out "OH SO YOU LIKE DROIDS NOW", which made me facepalm so hard. I wish this show would have more faith in the audience's ability to pick up on subtext, or at the very least do some interesting things with its characters.

It's strange because in Season 1 there actually were some pretty interesting character interactions, namely in the final two episodes with Quill, Cara, and Greef. When Cara and Greef came back they were so flat, probably because there wasn't any actual character dynamics or conflict. Everyone was pretty much united in bullying the blue alien which was cringe-worthy because it got old very fast. I'd love for just any kind of character conflict with our main cast.

For example, you could have Cara be particularly blood-thirsty when dealing with Imperials given her past, maybe even to the detriment of the mission. Just something to shake things up so I'm not just watching them all easily take apart the Imperials like they're going through a theme-park ride instead of a deadly mission.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:28 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think one of the main problems with the sequel trilogy for example, and a key reason why a lot of people don't like those films, is that they feel very disconnected from the rest of the story. They basically ignored the other media in order to please the minority; and it ended up completely backfiring.

Surely you mean the vast majority

Good episode, nice locale. But I did groan at the Thrawn mention and how they wiped away from it, these so far feel like lazy setup for whatever comes later; and also the episodic "do this thing and I'll help", "go to this place on this planet, there you will find X" is starting to get to me too.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Good episode, nice locale. But I did groan at the Thrawn mention and how they wiped away from it, these so far feel like lazy setup for whatever comes later; and also the episodic "do this thing and I'll help", "go to this place on this planet, there you will find X" is starting to get to me too.

I think it’s setup for a Rebels sequel rather than future Mando stuff.

I bloody hate Thrawn and Rebels though...

This episode was incredible all-round. The score in particular this week. It had to have been noticeable even to score-ignorant fans. That recorder piece that almost became a "lead-in to the credits" John-Williams style victory celebration. Mm.

Also, as I have expressed on here, I wanted Thrawn. He's a compelling character I have been following since the early 90's. This is a best-case scenario for me. I am not sure if Mando is where that will be explored or if they will give Ahsoka her own show. I'm happy either way.

P.P.S. Grogu. Having him make a cute noise every time his new name is mentioned is a marketing ploy to quell naysayers that I can't help but respect

I really enjoy the light entertainment value of this and the fact that it looks absolutely incredible by TV standards carries it a surprisingly long way. I get that the whole point of a new Star Wars serial in this style is that it designed to be simple and straightforward, but my main or rather my only misgiving about it really is that the episodic plots aren't even just a tad more complex than they currently are. Each week it's another case of go there, shoot that, (like a video game sidequest), and well I just think there's a risk that this very basic formula could get old pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the attempt at making something that is brisk and airy, like the serials of old, but some actual depth is the plot lines wouldn't go amiss either.