Jump to content

The Mandalorian SHOW discussion


Counterparts
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

 

Probably for similar reasons why he acted on visions of the future and rushed off to Bespin despite the warnings of his mentors.

Would that not have taught him to be wary of these visions in the future?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Does he kill Kylo or does he not?

Whether he actually kills Kylo or not has no bearing on how much stock he puts into the visions to even consider killing him to the point of pulling out his lightsaber

 

If Luke did not have full trust in visions, he wouldn’t have even considered killing Kylo (he shouldn’t have anyway but let’s just take Luke as he is in TLJ). It’s only because he thought with absolute certainty that Kylo would turn evil and kill all his friends because that’s what the Force showed him
 

It also just occurred to me that we are now talking about a Luke Skywalker who has been training Jedi for years as a grandmaster. He should be more calm and collected than ever, and well equipped on top of his prior experience with dealing with the dark side in others

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

considered killing Kylo

"For a brief moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it... it passed like a fleeting shadow."

 

5 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

He should be more calm and collected than ever, and well equipped on top of his prior experience with dealing with the dark side in others

How dare he not be perfect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Holko said:

How dare he not be perfect


There’s a massive difference between being imperfect and having almost no self control at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a massive difference between having a gut reaction in a brief moment of pure instinct and immediately realising how rash and insane it is and stopping, and "having almost no self-control at all".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:


There’s a massive difference between being imperfect and having almost no self control at all.

Forget it. Holko ignores all explanations and arguments except those of which he thinks it is easy to jump at, and then complains that people don't give arguments and just say it is bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Forget it. Holko ignores all explanations and arguments except those of which he thinks it is easy to jump at, and then complains that people don't give arguments and just say it is bad.

Unfortunately you appear to be right. I’d have better luck trying to explain my perspective to a GONK droid


 

To get things back on topic to the show...

 

The terminal that the whole plot revolves around in Episode 6 makes no functional sense.

 

Why is this terminal with sensitive data on it inside of a cafeteria? Why does it prevent you from accessing said sensitive data if you’re only with the Republic?

 

In the past it was that you needed specific clearance for your station i.e you at the least needed to be affiliated with the Empire

 

To me it seems really transparently a case where they wrote themselves into a corner and so had to change the universe around them to get them out of it, except all they’ve achieved is make the Empire look even more incompetent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Forget it. Holko ignores all explanations and arguments except those of which he thinks it is easy to jump at, and then complains that people don't give arguments and just say it is bad.

 

He's also prone to hurling abuse at you if challenge his positions or even simply state your own views he finds displeasing. He's a real moody Gen-Z.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Unfortunately you appear to be right. I’d have better luck trying to explain my perspective to a GONK droid


 

To get things back on topic to the show...

 

The terminal that the whole plot revolves around in Episode 6 makes no functional sense.

 

Why is this terminal with sensitive data on it inside of a cafeteria? Why does it prevent you from accessing said sensitive data if you’re only with the Republic?

 

In the past it was that you needed specific clearance for your station i.e you at the least needed to be affiliated with the Empire

 

To me it seems really transparently a case where they wrote themselves into a corner and so had to change the universe around them to get them out of it, except all they’ve achieved is make the Empire look even more incompetent

 

Yeah, that really didn't make any sense to me. It stood out as a surprisingly obvious attempt to give Mando a reason to show his face...which is too bad, since I think his helmet removal in "The Rescue" would have been that much more impactful if we hadn't just seen him take it off a week earlier.

 

TFA did the same thing. Ren taking his helmet off before his big scene with Daddy was a mistake as far as I'm concerned. I'm assuming they did it because they thought his interrogation of Rey would have more emotional weight with his facial expressions visible. But I think that could have been plenty effective without revealing Adam Driver's face. As we've seen in countless cinematic stories inside and outside Star Wars, a masked figure can still convey a surprising amount of emotion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Datameister said:

 

Yeah, that really didn't make any sense to me. It stood out as a surprisingly obvious attempt to give Mando a reason to show his face...which is too bad, since I think his helmet removal in "The Rescue" would have been that much more impactful if we hadn't just seen him take it off a week earlier.

 

TFA did the same thing. Ren taking his helmet off before his big scene with Daddy was a mistake as far as I'm concerned. I'm assuming they did it because they thought his interrogation of Rey would have more emotional weight with his facial expressions visible. But I think that could have been plenty effective without revealing Adam Driver's face. As we've seen in countless cinematic stories inside and outside Star Wars, a masked figure can still convey a surprising amount of emotion.

 

I'm split on it (though agree 100% on TFA). The infiltration episode does something rare in the series in that a character consistently clashes with Mando rather than putting aside their differences after like three lines, and Mayfeld is the perfect character to slide cognitive dissonance in his loyalty to his creed. Mando removing the helmet is a great culmination of that dissonance, and he's absolutely shellshocked as a result (which Pascal portrayed magnificently). That he committed such a sacrifice to his sense of identity to save his boy is a character-defining moment. We wouldn't have experienced that if he had solely removed his helmet to say bye to LIl' Grogu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Episode 6 S2: The Tragedy

 

Jango Fett is back! But overall it's another weak episode where good effects are blemished with poor direction and silly things. 

 

e2e549b9-a4ea-4362-a15d-ee05db5891ec-man

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Pedro Pascal's delivery isn't always that great good either, but I blame the direction for that.

 

 

21 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

its badass

 

If I was 10 or 12 years old, I would have loved it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

 

At least you have the MCU movies to satiate your mature desires.

 

Me? A Marvelite?! You are confusing me with someone else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could have sworn Alex had been fairly engaged here with the goings-on in those movies throughout their run right up to End Game. If that doesn't make him a marvelite then what does? Oh I know what I'll be; it's like when he prefers people to not think he's a gamer. 

 

I think the last Marvel movie I saw was Shazaam. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really enjoy watching this television program and overlook pretty much anything that might bug me about it because the final product somehow is always elevated over the sum of its parts

 

I dunno how Favreau and Filoni did it but they made something special here that makes me excited to watch more than most other things out there.

 

It doesn't satisfy me in the same way a brilliant prestige drama with top tier writing and acting does, but it satisfies in a different way that I didn't even know I wanted!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I really enjoy watching this television program and overlook pretty much anything that might bug me about it because the final product somehow is always elevated over the sum of its parts

 

I dunno how Favreau and Filoni did it but they made something special here that makes me excited to watch more than most other things out there.

 

It doesn't satisfy me in the same way a brilliant prestige drama with top tier writing and acting does, but it satisfies in a different way that I didn't even know I wanted!

 

That's a really good way of describing how I feel about the first season. For whatever reason, the spell lifted a bit for me in the second season. Still a good time, though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose I did not like Season 2 quite as much as Season 1 either, though I don't consider it a disappointing season necessarily.  It's hard for me to quantify precisely what it was that made Season 2's overall impact less than season 1's for me, but I also don't think I want to spend the time to try to figure it.  I basically just have faith that when the continuing stories of Din Djarin continue in 2022 or whatever, I'll really enjoy it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think for me it's more they way Season 1 was primarily one-off mission episodes until arriving at this terrific 2-parter finale, that not only had many emotional moments, but also the return of various characters from various one-off episodes, AND the introduction of a cool new villain, AND the de-masking of the main character, AND flashbacks to his past... etc etc - it's one of the best 2-part finales I've seen in a long time!

 

Season 2 for me often felt like it was more of a shill for other Disney properties than an truly pure organic continuation of where Season 1 left off.  He bumps into a Marshall from some book I never read, then a bunch of ladies from a cartoon show I didn't watch, then a Jedi from another cartoon I didn't watch, etc etc.  And they really aren't just cameos, they actively set up their spinoff shows in them, IE the Mandalore ladies asking the Imp about the Darksaber, Ashoka asking the Imp commander about Thrawn, Boba Fett taking over Jabba's organization, etc.

 

Something like that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think for me it's more they way Season 1 was primarily one-off mission episodes until arriving at this terrific 2-parter finale, that not only had many emotional moments, but also the return of various characters from various one-off episodes, AND the introduction of a cool new villain, AND the de-masking of the main character, AND flashbacks to his past... etc etc - it's one of the best 2-part finales I've seen in a long time!

 

Season 2 for me often felt like it was more of a shill for other Disney properties than an truly pure organic continuation of where Season 1 left off.  He bumps into a Marshall from some book I never read, then a bunch of ladies from a cartoon show I didn't watch, then a Jedi from a cartoon I didn't watch, etc etc.  And within those episodes, the spent time setting up future spinoffs instead of keeping it's focus on the actual main character, IE one of them asking the Imp about the darksaber, Ashoka asking the Imp commander about Thrawn, etc.

 

Something like that

 

I feel like S1 also structured the character development and everything more dynamically, such as Mando's mistrust of droids caused by his traumatic experience as a child, and his growing acceptance of IG. And of course, similar to what you said, it was him and Grogu against the world. S2 had him rubbing elbows with so

many people, and in a way that really didn't illuminate his character very much. We didn't get that until the last few episodes.

 

Now that they got all the backdoor pilots out of the way, and even Grogu himself, I'm really excited to see where S3 goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My coworker who watches all the cartoons and stuff is sure Season 3 is going to be about Din deciding to help those ladies take back Mandalore

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jay said:

My coworker who watches all the cartoons and stuff is sure Season 3 is going to be about Din deciding to help those ladies take back Mandalore

 

I mean right now it's hard to see where else they would go, but I wouldn't mind that inherently. I didn't like Bo Katan and the crew in their debut episode, but after the S2 finale their inclusion made sense to me. It's pretty tantalizing that Din is apparently now the unwilling ruler of Mandalore. I just hope like S1 they delve into him more.

 

I wanna see Mando have actual character conflicts, dammit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

 

I mean right now it's hard to see where else they would go, but I wouldn't mind that inherently. I didn't like Bo Katan and the crew in their debut episode, but after the S2 finale their inclusion made sense to me. It's pretty tantalizing that Din is apparently now the unwilling ruler of Mandalore. I just hope like S1 they delve into him more.

 

I wanna see Mando have actual character conflicts, dammit!


Given that Bo doesn’t have her own spin off I can’t see season 3 being anything other than Mandalore centric. 
 

I expect it to be more consistent than season 3 now that they don’t have to set up more spin-offs and can tell a single story for the season. 
 

I’m just wondering if we’ll see more Baby Yoda or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm giving it another shot currently, after previously giving up during the eye-roll-inducing first season. It...seems to be getting less bad? I'm still not quite to S2, and still having a hard time imagining what it would be like to feel enthusiastic about the show. Clearly the later seasons did something right, considering how many people think they're exceptional...it's just going to be fascinating to see if I somehow feel the same way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I'm giving it another shot currently, after previously giving up during the eye-roll-inducing first season. It...seems to be getting less bad? I'm still not quite to S2, and still having a hard time imagining what it would be like to feel enthusiastic about the show. Clearly the later seasons did something right, considering how many people think they're exceptional...it's just going to be fascinating to see if I somehow feel the same way.

 

Put it this way: Season 1 and 2 almost seem like a completely different show than S3-7. Watching Season 7 in particular and going back and watching Season 1 (especially the movie) back-to-back is incredibly jarring. Even the music slowly changes drastically over time. The earlier seasons appear to be in some sort of experimental phase, even George himself mentions that in some of the BTS interviews. The show didn't find it's "voice" until later on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

 

Put it this way: Season 1 and 2 almost seem like a completely different show than S3-7. Watching Season 7 in particular and going back and watching Season 1 (especially the movie) back-to-back is incredibly jarring. Even the music slowly changes drastically over time. The earlier seasons appear to be in some sort of experimental phase, even George himself mentions that in some of the BTS interviews. The show didn't find it's "voice" until later on.

 

That's very consistent with what so many others have told me. It's so hard to imagine, but I'm hoping I'll be a full-on fan by the time I get to the middle seasons!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.