The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

I view the TV shows as an extension of the "expanded universe."  They're not essential to the movies in any way more than the books, comics, video games, etc.  Personally, I read the comics and watch the shows, pick at the books, and mostly skip the video games.

By that metric, Star Wars has been "oversaturated" since 1993 or so, and especially since the special editions marketing machine kicked into high gear in 1996 with Shadows of the Empire.

From the twitter responses, it seems Disney didn't get the memo about not announcing a 'straight white man' on today of all days. How could they do such a thing? Any other type of man would have been fine apparently.

My only complaint with Debney is that it seems like he often snatches up the temp score.  Probably as directed, but there are definitely moments that you can tell (and I'm usually not picky about such things).

But heck yeah, I'm up for a Debney Star Wars score.  His Iron Man 2 was a breath of fresh air after the first score.

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

My only complaint with Debney is that it seems like he often snatches up the temp score.  Probably as directed, but there are definitely moments that you can tell (and I'm usually not picky about such things).

Indeed I was shocked by that Ant Bully/Atlantis: The Lost Empire similarity. That was embarrassing.

At his best, John Debney is far better than that.

I don't know if Cutthroat Island or Lair are fully original or largely inspired by other works, but I don't hear any direct lifts and those ones are GREAT.

10 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Spongebob Movie was how I first 'discovered' him, so I'm just jesting. It's a fun score!

That one IS fun, actually. As long as it isn't directly compared to Cutthroat Island.

But I like the theme and several of the action-y tracks.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

If we're not careful, Disney will rename New Zealand Ahch-To Island.

Don't you mean: New ZealandTM?

It reminds me of this abomination of trademarking, the Dumbledore's Army replica list from Noble Collection (found on therpf):

5732396099_39aa4c6210_o.jpg

• 6 months later...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/more-behind-the-scenes-rumors-from-the-live-action-star-1829424640

According to Making Star Wars, a new rumor indicates the show’s first season will be eight episodes long, and have five directors. Dave Filoni—best known to Star Wars fans for his role in producing the animated series Clone Wars and Rebels—will direct the pilot with Rogue One cinematographer Greig Fraser behind the camera. The site also reports Werner Herzog may have his own role in the series, so, take this information with a few grains of salt—specially imported from Crait.

If that wasn’t enough, a second report from the site indicates Wonder Woman 1984 and Game of Thrones star Pedro Pascal is currently in talks to play “a central lead.”

More updates on Jon Favreau's live action series.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/3/17934910/star-wars-jon-favreau-mandalorian-disney-streaming

Exciting news from Jon Favreau's new live action series, officially titled The Mandalorian.

"After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe,” Favreau said in an Instagram post. “The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.”

Oh hell yeah. If they go balls to the wall space western with this, including a gritty score (something Logan lacked), this could be very cool. Doubt it, but what if they even went so far to not give the man a name, and others just call him "The Mandalorian"?

I'm genuinely excited for this. Jon Favreau knows what he's doing, it's live-action so no same-old animated stuff, and the story sounds intriguing. Super excited.

EDIT: And someone already changed the thread title. On top of things!

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Sounds cool.  I wonder if Williams will be involved in any way

Fingers crossed for main theme. Or the lovely Kevin Kiner...:D

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

So it's the story of a guy wearing the same outfit as Boba Fett?

😴

Have you seen the Clone Wars?

I'm willing to bet John Debney will be involved with it to some capacity. He's worked with Jon Favreau on pretty much everything for the past decade plus. He was one of the first people I saw sharing the article revealing Jon's involvement, before I saw anyone else post it, so he at least had inside knowledge. 

Kevin Kiner I could see being involved too perhaps. After all, Rebels is over, and he's not involved with Resistance. I'm betting (and hoping) that, in terms of music, this show will be kind of an ensemble, with multiple composers alternating each episode (like Star Trek). That would give a lot of great composers the chance to work on Star Wars, whilst working together. Just as long as composers like Ramin Djawadi, Steve Jablonski, etc. aren't involved. I can't stand that boring, bland, generic crap. Same with that new STD composer. I would also be both disappointed and unsurprised if they get some random composer no one's ever heard of for the show.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Looks good but hopefully it doesn't have that cheap made-for-TV feel that most of these things tend to have. 

I dunno, Westworld looks rather movie-ish. As does Twin Peaks, Stranger Things and Bates Motel.

Westworld manages to get by on locations alone, it's a marvelous production anyhow. 

My biggest concern is who really cares about mandalorians, especially after the Empire? Boba Fett was a mysterious figure because we knew next to nothing about him. Clone Wars had some interesting things to do with their homeworld, but that was back in a time leading up to the Galaxy in strife we see in the films, it was a period ripe for this drama.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Would love to see Debney doing Star Wars. He hasn't done much lately has he? 

He's done bunch of movies, a lot of Jon Favreau movies as well the last couple years. He's also the lead composer for The Orville along with Joel McNeely. And if The Orville can afford to hire the Hollywood Studio Symphony, I'm sure they could for this series as well. Maybe even the full orchestra on some occasions. That would be dope.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

My biggest concern is who really cares about mandalorians, especially after the Empire?

For me, the appeal would be a solitary character from a rich tradition of warriors (though I don't know what happened with Mandalorians post Revenge of the Sith media, maybe this had been retconned), navigating a rough and tumble "world" that we only see glimpses of in the movies.

10 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Have you seen the Clone Wars?

Just the three episodes where Yoda learn how to be a Force Ghost after his death.

I was hoping John Cygan would be involved, as he was the voice of the Mandalore named Canderous Ordo in the two Knights of the Old Republic games, but he passed away several years ago. 

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

So it's the story of a guy wearing the same outfit as Boba Fett?

😴

Even back in the "pre-canon"/Legends days, and even back to, like, the 1980s, Boba Fett has worn "Mandalorian armor."  His daddy Jango wore similar armor in Attack of the Clones.

The Mandalorians had a lot of backstory in Legends, which was retconned a bit when Lucas wanted to do something different with them in The Clone Wars.  Since that time, there has been a lot of Mandalorian lore in canon, not just in Clone Wars, but also Rebels (a main character, Sabine, is Mandalorian - armor and all) - and a large part of the later Rebels seasons involves warring factions of Mandalore, in a way that ties up both Clone Wars plotlines and Sabine's character stuff.

They've been used pretty sparingly in paper non-Legends/canon (books and comics), outside of tie-ins to those series.

There's also a suit of Mandalorian armor in Dryden Vos's trophy room in SOLO.

solo-a-star-wars-story-boba-fett-dryden-