The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

This series has very much of a Samurai Jack feel to it. 

This latest episode was interesting. I didn't really understand why the X-wings attacked the outpost since it wasn't the ship. 

And not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the Mandalorian theme is very similar to the Slave Children's Crusade. 

I cheered when I saw Richard Ayoade's name in the credits. I recognized him as the voice of the droid bounty hunter and wasn't wrong. 

So many good references and one liners. Bill Burr said ass and mentioned Canto Bight and Gungans. Is that the first mention of them outside of the prequels (not counting seeing Naboo in the Endor celebration)? I sure think so. 

Very good episode. The bounty hunter raiding party made me nostalgic for KOTOR 1, complete with Mission Vao and Canderous Ordo. I thought it was neat to see the Republic using droid prison guards, but why would you employ people? Was really hoping to hear MEATBAG but no dice. 

The Mandalorian theme in full fanfare mode at the end was sweet. 

59 minutes ago, woj said:

Very good episode. The bounty hunter raiding party made me nostalgic for KOTOR 1, complete with Mission Vao and Canderous Ordo. I thought it was neat to see the Republic using droid prison guards, but why would you employ people? Was really hoping to hear MEATBAG but no dice.

When the bounty was revealed to be the Twi'lek's scumbag brother I immediately thought of Mission Vao and her scumbag brother.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

What's the point of using spoiler boxes when discussing episodes that have already aired? Would anybody open this thread after the latest episode came out before they've seen it? 

Spoiler

I don’t know.

“The Mandalorian” is a $100 million show about nothing

I'm not trolling with this, I'd been planning on making a start on the show after the strong word of mouth I kept seeing online - in response to the first handful of episodes. But has it ran out of steam and is the novelty wearing thin? Does it feel like a JJ Abrams gimmick?

It’s definitely an episodic story with a through line, rather than something highly serialized.  I think the characters and situations are more interesting than that reviewer does, I guess.

This is losing steam for me. Nothing has really changed since the end of episode 3. It's like stages of the Tour of France. I was hooked on first 3 episodes, but it really is getting less interesting as it progresses. 

On 12/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, Quintus said:

“The Mandalorian” is a $100 million show about nothing

I'm not trolling with this, I'd been planning on making a start on the show after the strong word of mouth I kept seeing online - in response to the first handful of episodes. But has it ran out of steam and is the novelty wearing thin? Does it feel like a JJ Abrams gimmick?

I agree 100% with that article

I thought the heist episode was fun enough, especially the light-horror when Mando starts picking off the team one by one.

Last week's was abysmal though, even the great Amy Sedaris couldn't save it. What a boring and inexplicable mess. Why does Mando keep leaving baby Yoda alone every episode??? It's repetitive cheap drama watching him come back surprised to see someone interacting with the child.

I'm assuming the Internet speculation that the Wednesday episode might have some bearing on TROS was incorrect?  I'm going to try to watch it tonight, but if I don't I probably won't get to see it until Sunday.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

It wasn't incorrect. There is mild setup for a TROS plot device.

Spoiler

Healing wounds?

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Holko said:

Also, how cool is the folding TIE!

Finally they can land and get out!

More $$$ for the toy companies ;)

23 hours ago, Holko said:

Also, how cool is the folding TIE!

Finally they can land and get out!

That was an unused concept that Doug Chiang suggested in 2013.

It's a great idea because a conventional TIE Fighter has the cockpit way too high in the wings, which don't look strong enough to be load bearing. When landing in a hangar, there's always a claw to grab the cockpit. 

I really enjoyed this week, especially the tension mounting at the end!   I assume IG-11 will seek revenge for what happened to his loving father next week.

I'm also happy the Carl Weathers switched sides.  Allies are just more fun!

If Weathers' plan was to lure Mando back to the first planet, does that mean those weren't his spurs at the end of part 5 in the Tatooine desert?

Pretty good episode. Compared to the others it felt a little drawn out- it was indeed around ten minutes longer. Some expected twists and turns, and nothing too revelatory, at least from where I was in my expectations. 

Spoiler

- I also lost it when Gideon came out with the Dark Saber (so cool to see that in a live action show), but it was pretty stupid of them not to check the wreckage

- as always this show hits great heights with the action (IG's rampage, close quarters fistfights, etc.)

- heard a fair bit of score so I hope most of it made it to the mini album when I listen later (watch out for Baby Yoda when he forces the fire away!!!)

- so we finally see Pedro's beautiful face! I saw it coming as soon as he got hurt, but he maintained his Mandalorian dignity because it was merely in IG's presence, and he's dead now anyways

- Baby Yoda did well with the fire, but he took some awful hits from those scout troopers at the beginning. Also, that flame trooper was cool!

- the scout troopers were kind of funny, but I was surprised how long that opening scene went on for before IG showed up

- Apollo Creed teams up with Cara now, Mando and Baby Yoda are still a pair. Gideon will be on their heels in Season 2. Good enough for me!

- a proper burial for Kuill- thanks! I think the tombstone said something like - HE HAS SPOKEN -

- I was surprised that the forger was back

- interesting to find that Din Djarin wasn't even from Mandalore. Huh.

The finale wraps up Season 1 pretty well. So how long is the wait for the next one? 

11 hours ago, Holko said:

Another good episode.

But what a weak and predictable end twist, why didn't they check the wreckage, obviously now they're showing the bad guy alive getting out of his HOLY SHIT HE HAS THE DARKSABER

Indeed I also figured the explosion as that TIE crashed wasn't nearly as big as it should've been, given what I'm used to from these movies.

So the twist of "bad guy still alive", yup, saw that coming a mile away.

After that though... WOW, did NOT see THAT coming!! :eek:

They did good with this series. They really did.

Looking forward to Season 2.

And curious to watch these other series they've got in development.

Star Wars was inspired by serials anyway, so having it shine in TV series format actually makes a lot of sense.

And without the need to be "epicer than epic", they can keep things nice and polished without going over-the-top.

Or we'll finally see more of Yoda's species, maybe even learn their name!

Or they'll manufacture mini-armor for him and accept him into the clan.

16 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

the scout troopers were kind of funny

Jason Sudeikis and Adam Pally

I love the fact that the scout troopers couldn't hit a pile of junk at close range. Making fun of their inability to hit our heroes in the OT regardless of Obi-Wan's note. I am surprised one of them said "oh my god," as religions other than Jedi and Sith have rarely been mentioned onscreen, but it's just a common human curse. 

I was taken out of the story when IG said the bacta would take hours, but Mando was back on his feet quickly. Did hours really elapse? Is it that fast acting? Or did Gideon give them time? I suppose after seeing the flame trooper blown out of the door, the Imps would bide their time to avoid killing The Asset in the crossfire. 

The Armorer seems pretty exposed for trying to hide in tunnels, when all her comrades are dead, but she is more than capable. She mentioned some Old Republic era lore, which is great. 

Loved the giant astromech gondola droid. Maybe not an R2 unit. Maybe R12? 

Loved the character growth of Mando's attitude toward droids. 

8 hours ago, woj said:

I was taken out of the story when IG said the bacta would take hours, but Mando was back on his feet quickly. Did hours really elapse? Is it that fast acting?

Confused me too.

My interpretation: it was enough to get him on his feet, but he continued healing all throughout the episode.

His final flight must've still been agonisingly painful.

• 1 month later...

The Mandalorian Season 2 Release Date Revealed!

Creator Jon Favreau previously revealed that the second season of The Mandalorian would arrive on Disney+ this Fall, but during today’s Disney Earnings Call The Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger revealed that The Mandalorian Season 2 release date is October 2020. Later on the call it was confirmed that the possibilities for a third season as well as Mandalorian spin-offs are being explored. It was also revealed that the new streaming service has amassed 28.6 million subscribers.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1121438-the-mandalorian-season-2-release-date-revealed

• 3 weeks later...

That's incredible - but I seem to remember they did something similar on Solo/TRoS with projecting images onto a stage that was almost fully immersive. 

Just now, Arpy said:

That's incredible - but I seem to remember they did something similar on Solo/TRoS with projecting images onto a stage that was almost fully immersive. 

I believe with Solo it was just for space scenes.

The big thing here is not the screen alone, it would be modern rear projection then, and that's mostly what was in Solo: premade video footage that is nevertheless great for the actors to react to. Here as far as I understand it they combined it with the game render engine so they can make any adjustment they want immediately, it can move with the camera to sell perspective better, they're not locked to a pre-animated and pre-rendered still background. It's awesome.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, Edmilson said:

On 2/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, Blumenkohl said:

Much better way to see the technology at work:

Thanks for both these videos, really interesting stuff here!

• 4 weeks later...