The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

The Mandalorian 1x02 The Child

To me, this felt like a "filler" episode.  I mean, what happens?  Mando tries to return to his ship with the child but Jawas have stolen a bunch of stuff, so he barters to get an egg for them so he can get his stuff back.  He does so and takes off.  By the end of the episode, I was really feeling that the episodes lengths they've chosen for this show are a bit odd.  Really episodes 1 and 2 could have been combined into one extra-long pilot and then if they did hour-long episodes from here on out that would make sense.  But I'll stick with their choice and see how it goes.

It was cool to have NIck Nolte again, his voice really works for the character.  And the Jawas and their sandcrawler was really nicely realized, plus we got to see the child use force powers which was cool. 

The music was again excellent.  The fanfare when he finally takes off at the end was so cool.  And I love the end credits this show gets, with length score accompaniment and all the concept art, etc.  While I may not be seeing any writing to write home about after 2 episodes, the production values are certainly very very top notch, which is cool to see on a weekly basis.

Agreed, the production quality and music are fantastic.  There are a couple filler episodes in this season but the majority are really well-done.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I dunno about "great" in every aspect, but it sure has great production values and music!

It definitely has music... not sure I'd call it great. Serviceable.

The main theme reminds me WAY too much of the Rocky movies.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Yoda-species (do they have a name?)

No. It's one of the very few things that George Lucas never allowed to be explored, explained, or exploited in the original Extended Universe or the new Disney-verse. Yoda's back story and culture remain a mystery. 

We had Yaddle in Ep 1, but she was a cameo and did not amount to much. 

We have had other of Yoda's species in video games, like Master Vandar Tokare in the KOTOR video games, but he's just a member of "Yoda's species." And that's not canon. 

I'll say no more about what we learn and do not learn about The Child. 

The Mandalorian 1x03 The Sin

Pretty good ep.  This is exactly what the show needed: Some insight into Mando's actual character.  For 2 eps he was just a dude taking jobs for money and doing them effectively.  Finally in this ep we see he has a heart.  Granted, it was completely predictable as soon as he dropped off the child that he would come back for it before the end of the episode, but that doesn't matter; It was still enjoyable to watch it all play out.  I thought there was some tension even as he was dropping him off where you thought he might have the change of heart right away, but when he did drop him off it was kinda need to see him go talk to the armorer and trade in his reward for his shiny new suit and then accept his next job, etc.

Unfortunately I didn't find the lengthy end battle where he steals the child and escapes to be QUITE as good as the really cool battle from the end of episode 1 with IG-11, but that's a minor quibble.  I also didn't fully understand why the other Mandalorians were willing to risk their lives to help him - or, if they would have done so all along, why Mando didn't ask them for him, or they didn't turn up sooner - but maybe they've delve into Mandalorian culture in future episodes.  The bookending scenes with the child playing with the ball in the cockpit was pretty dang cute (everything the child does is pretty dang cute).

Mando taking off at the end, child in tow, defying what he was hired to do, making new enemies, knowing he'll be tracked and at risk, was a pretty exciting end.  These 3 episodes combine to set up the story of the show pretty well, almost like I just watched a pretty good movie.  Looking forward to see what Mando and the child get up to next!

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I also didn't fully understand why the other Mandalorians were willing to risk their lives to help him

Friend of mine was confused there too.

My rationalisation: there are so few Mandalorians left.

They kind of have to stick up for each other.

Otherwise they'll all be gone in no-time.

Just now, Pieter Boelen said:

Friend of mine was confused there too.

My rationalisation: there are so few Mandalorians left.

They kind of have to stick up for each other.

Otherwise they'll all be gone in no-time.

Sure.  But if Mando knew that, why didn't he ask them for help ahead of time?  And why'd they wait so long to start helping him (other than dramatic purposes I mean)

25 minutes ago, woj said:

As soon as I saw the title "The Sin," it's predictable what Mando will do. 

Predictable isn't bad.

Surprising isn't good.

Should be sometimes the one, sometimes the other.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sure.  But if Mando knew that, why didn't he ask them for help ahead of time?  And why'd they wait so long to start helping him (other than dramatic purposes I mean)

Maybe he didn't know they'd be willing to help?

They weren't all that warm to him earlier in the episode.

And then they only showed up after they realized what was happening, had a council meeting about it and gathered their troops?

Yep, I'm rationalizing again.

It's all for dramatic effect, of course.

Wow! Did NOT see that coming!

The character finally making her way to live action, I mean.

Never even would've thought of recasting.

Any reason her Clone Wars voice actress wouldn't be a good fit?

I think it’s decent casting, but I won’t believe it until it’s an official source.  The character definitely is intimately involved in Mandalore history in TCW and Rebels, and given the direct tie to those series in the finale, it doesn’t surprise me.

I rewatched the series over the last few weeks, and I have to say it loses a little something on the rewatch.  Maybe that’s just the way I am with rewatching anything, but I didn’t have a lot of interest.  Episodes 4 and 7/8 are still excellent.

23 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

They should have given the opportunity to Ashley Eckstein. Her voice is Ashoka.

They should still dub her voice maybe. But in terms of looks and age I don't think she'd be a very good Ahsoka in this era. Plus I've heard that her IRL acting isn't very good.

Ahsoka would be older therefore I'm alright with a different actress - not to mention Eckstein may have a great voice but doesn't possess the physique or stature of Ahsoka.

I see no problem with recasting for live action.  In practice of translating from animation to live action, Forrest Whitaker as Saw Gerrara in Rogue One looked and sounded nothing like young Saw from Clone Wars (down to different skin tone and eye color). It was fine - canon didn’t explode and they picked an excellent actor for the role.

Ashley Eckstein doesn't seem to physically fit the role.  I'm guessing that Rosario is quite taller than Ashley and I feel like Ahsoka should be tall.

It really was well crafted from start to finish and the first one I'd consider rewatching randomly

The wikipedia article for it says Pedro Pascal was busy with another project when they shot this one so he was entirely played by stunt doubles in this episode.  Which is kinda funny since it's the episode (out of the first 4 anyway) where he does the most amount of non-fight related things, like all the scenes with the villager lady, taking off his helmet to eat, etc

And the way he looks around sometimes, like's he's pondering what to say before he says it.  I guess the stunt guys deserve more credit that just stunt work!

Watched the first two episodes last night (the only two available over here so far). It is actually pretty enjoyable and definitely better than the last couple SW films. In fact...it may be better than most SW films.

Karol

On 3/25/2020 at 4:20 AM, crocodile said:

Watched the first two episodes last night (the only two available over here so far). It is actually pretty enjoyable and definitely better than the last couple SW films. In fact...it may be better than most SW films.

Karol

It's definitely the best Star Wars of the Disney era.

The Mandalorian 1x05 The Gunslinger

Wow, another good one!  I loved that it opened with a nice space battle, since that was one thing the show hadn't done much of yet, and its a staple of Star Wars.  It was cool!

Was kinda bummed that he ended up going down to Tattooine - why must the franchise continually return to this planet, instead of just using a new one?  But I quickly was over this as everything that happened there was so cool.  I enjoyed the lady that Mando has fix his ship, and her scenes bonding with the child.  And Mando's adventure with the bounty hunter guy was super fun!  Speeder Bikes, The Dune Sea, Tusken Raiders, Dewbacks, a night attack, betrayals, super fun stuff!  Kinda strange that a random new character is shown approaching the body of the dead bounty they were going after.

The music was fantastic, I loved the new colors introduced this week - the fun, playful music for the scenes of the hangar lady bonding with the child, and the super fun music for Mando and the other bounty hunter crossing the dune sea.  Cool stuff!

I was not annoyed about going back to Tatooine.  I enjoyed seeing the Cantina and the pit droids.  I think Tatooine should have played some role in the sequel trilogy as well.  Not to get into a Rise of Skywalker conversation but it did not really make any sense why she went back to the Lars homestead in the end.

Glad you are enjoying it Jay!  I love this show so much.  I'm sure it will be a huge topic at Star Wars Celebration in August, assuming it doesn't get cancelled.

Heh yea I forgot the Cantina, that was kinda neat.  The whole episode was pretty fun, really.  Though I wasn't really sold on the actor playing the other bounty hunter, he seemed miscast... but the lady that fixes his ship was pretty good

Amy Sedaris was the lady fixing the ship.  This show uses a ton of comedians for some reason.  I wasn't a fan of the other bounty hunter either, glad he got killed off so we don't have to see him again.

Oh snap that's right, it was Amy Sedaris!  Yea the amount of comedians is a bit surprising, with Eugene Cordero being in the prior episode and Bill Burr and Taika Waititi doing voices

28 minutes ago, Trent Hoyt said:

assuming it doesn't get cancelled.

Season 2 was already confirmed, wasn't it?

Thought they had been working on it for a while.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Yes, production is finished. I assume he meant Celebration being cancelled.

Ah! Indeed that makes so much more sense.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

He definitely meant the Celebration could get canceled

Oops. I misread...