Solo score being recorded in London right now

ocelot

The thing I'm curious about regarding the score (for a film I couldn't care less about) is whether Williams writing a theme means that he wrote a full suite of the theme, which will feature on the album, or whether he just provided a sketch and played it on the piano and left that to Powell.

I'm sure there will be both. A piano sketch for Powell to have for the theme to orchestrate in the cues as he will, and he'll write a concert suite if it is a full theme ad not just a motif.

I hope it's more than the Superman 4 themes because they donlt sound like true JW the way Courage orchestrated them. Must have been a very basic sketch by Williams

Cue the endless arguments about how much better Williams would've used his theme better than Powell.

I still think this business of JW writing the main theme stinks. They want his name there for marketing purposes.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I still think this business of JW writing the main theme stinks. They want his name there for marketing purposes.

The way its mentioned in the tweet really smacks of that.

But I'm a huge fan of the idea of Williams writing new themes for spin-offs. That way, the episode scores will remain distinguished by having a Williams score, but he could nevertheless continue to shape the greater body of work on the music Star Wars.

Of course, that doesn't help the musical continuity: now Han has a theme for his standalone movie only for it the dissappear for the entirety of his screentime in the episodes. Its like Williams bringing the Imperial March back to the prequels, only for it to disppear again in Star Wars!

Oh well...

No, I'm annoyed because Powell is a composer capable of writing his own themes. He doesn't need Williams to write his main theme for him.

Why didn't Rogue One get a main theme from Williams? (hint: RO wasn't in deep shit, production-wise and didn't need all the marketing boosts they could think of)

Just how I see the situation.

Yeah, but with these spin-off scores the composers find themselves quoting existing Williams themes anyway. You can expect bits of the Imperial March, and possibly The Force, the Luke/Star Wars theme and the Rebel Fanfare. So I see little harm to Powell's artistic liberty, as it were, in Williams adding one more new theme to the catalog.

13 minutes ago, Fal said:

why can't Williams write something for Solo again as well??

Oh yeah, sure, lets get into that "Han Solo's theme" nonesense again! :lol:

32 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

.(hint: RO wasn't in deep shit, production-wise and didn't need all the marketing boosts they could think of)

Ha!

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-is-in-big-trouble-new-director-being-brought-in/

On 10/3/2018 at 2:07 AM, Fal said:

Well Williams' themes for Superman IV got suites.

You mean concert versions. (suite is a number of pieces in a set order)

Well, In Superman IV Williams wrote a piano sketch for one of the 3 themes (in 2 staves without any indication of instruments - no concert version. just the theme).

I assume he did the same for the other 2 themes and he did the same here.