Solo score being recorded in London right now

ocelot

Dumb question:

What's the difference between the National Philharmonic Orchestra of London (Gerhardt CE3K/SW) and the London Philharmonic (Morricone's The Mission)? And the Philharmonia?

And while we're on the subject, what is "Philharmonic", the orchestra that Phil put together that doesn't do counterpoint or atonal stuff?

Solo, as is the case with a lot of film session work in London, is being recorded by an orchestra comprising musicians from across London (see the earlier tweet) contracted by Isobel Griffiths. The LSO is engaged in a tour at the moment, but stopped off at the Barbican last night to give a fantastic concert of Berlioz and Schumann.

On 3/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, crumbs said:

Does that mean the LSO are the orchestra?

No it's Isobel Griffith who got the players together for this. It's not the LSO. Mind you I'm not sure if they are an orchestra on to themselves or if it's all freelance and therefor there could be people from many orchestras including the LSO in there.

I'm surprised Powell isn't striping this score like he does with others. Maybe the full orchestra setup was for Williams' concert theme for Han.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think it's recording different sections (brass/strings/perc) separately to allow more control over the mix.

That's what I was referring to.

Would've liked to see Powell conduct too, but I guess that's out.