Maestro (Bradley Cooper 2023) formerly Steven Spielberg's Possible Leonard Bernstein Biopic

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see a biopic that dwells into Bernstein's personality -hopefully without shying away from his sexuality- but who the hell is gonna watch this? If the Lincoln pic barely made into cinemas, there's no way this doesn't end up as an HBO film. Which could be great for the film itself but Spielberg seems completely against anything less than the big screen for his directorial work. 

And I would love to hear a Williams' theme for Lenny.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

...but I'd rather have a John Williams biopic from Spielberg. Scored by JW himself. Wouldn't that be something? :D

Too meta.

If it was done right by some fanboy director 20-30 years from now Ed Wood-style, it could be amazing.

8 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Don't believe that, it's a hoax.

Well, I have to be. :huh:

I'm sure JW will really pour his heart into this one if it ends up happening. Although Muad'Dib is correct that this seems like subject matter that may not exactly make for a modern blockbuster. 

• 1 month later...

Cary Fukunaga is planning to direct a Leonard Bernstein biopic now starring Jake Gyllenhaal

Don't know if it's the same script Spielberg had his eye on. 

Interestingly Fukunaga was hired by Spielberg to do Kubrick's Napoleon script as a mini-series a few years ago which never went anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh.....

Bradley Cooper to Star in and Direct Leonard Bernstein Biopic

Uhhh.....

As buzz builds on his directorial debut, “A Star Is Born,” Bradley Cooper looks to have found his next directing vehicle. The A-lister will helm and star in the Leonard Bernstein biopic “Bernstein,” sources tell Variety.

Paramount Pictures and Amblin Entertainment will co-finance the film from a script by Josh Singer. Cooper — through his Joint Effort banner — will produce with Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Fred Berner, Amy Durning, and Kristie Macosko Krieger.

3145902.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have nothing against biopics but I don't think there's one biopic to be found in my top 50 best movie list of all time. Know what I'm saying? 

27 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I have nothing against biopics but I don't think there's one biopic to be found in my top 50 best movie list of all time. Know what I'm saying? 

If Lawrence of Arabia can be considered a biopic...I wouldn't consider it, though

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Soderbergh's Che is in my Top 10, easily. Ed Wood and Michael Collins are also worth seeing

No doubt Bernstein is a greater composer than Williams (although not to me), but now he gets TWO movies, and we have none about JW! Not even a proper, English-language book that is not based on some dissertation! OUTRAGE! I doubt he lived any more of an exciting life than our favourite composer.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

A movie about John Williams would be incredibly boring 

Hardly! The man has lived a very full and interesting life; I think it would make for a fascinating biopic.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Bernstein is atleast a cultural icon.

And Williams is not?

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I really liked Steve Jobs. I mean, really liked it. I might well be the only person in the world who places that film in his top five.

40 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

I really liked Steve Jobs. I mean, really liked it. I might well be the only person in the world who places that film in his top five.

Wasn't that just another by-the-numbers biopic? I mean, Ed Wood really transcended the genre. You better put that one in your list of best movies!

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Wasn't that just another by-the-numbers biopic? I mean, Ed Wood really transcended the genre. You better but that one in your list of best movies!

Chagrined I am to say I haven’t seen that one—and I love Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. But I will check it out now.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2018 at 7:09 PM, Thor said:

...but I'd rather have a John Williams biopic from Spielberg. Scored by JW himself. Wouldn't that be something? :D

They will make JW look ten years younger by the use of digital makeup.

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2018 at 12:08 AM, Muad'Dib said:

On 5/20/2018 at 8:33 PM, mrbellamy said:

On 1/21/2020 at 12:03 PM, mrbellamy said:

This is still going ahead

Bradley Cooper as director, co-writer, producer, and starring as Bernstein. 

Todd Phillips, Scorsese AND Spielberg will co-produce the film forrrrrr.....wait for it.......

434952-netflix-logo.png?width=333&height

This is still going ahead

https://deadline.com/2021/06/steven-spielberg-amblin-netflix-partnership-movies-the-trial-of-the-chicago-7-bradley-cooper-the-maestro-1234778665/

Netflix stepped up to acquire to finance and distribute Maestro, the film that Bradley Cooper is directing and starring in on the iconic composer Leonard Bernstein. That film is in pre-production.