What did George Lucas really do in Ireland?

Jurassic Shark

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Disney wouldn't let him anywhere near their precious franchise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney offered Lucas a standalone film after they didn't follow his suggestions for the sequel trilogy.

53 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

after they didn't follow his suggestions for the sequel trilogy.

I recall reading that some of his ideas were implemented in The Last Jedi.

Can you imagine how Ewan McGregor would feel?  FINALLY he gets a chance to be in a good Star Wars movie, made by a director, any director, that knows how to work with actors, and show what he can really do...and he's told he has to work with "good enough" Lucas again.

20 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Disney wouldn't let him anywhere near their precious franchise.

A couple years ago, I would have said you're absolutely right.

But given how much trouble Disney apparently is having finding directors for these things, now I'm not so sure. Lucas knows the material, knows how to direct a Star Wars film, and within budget. And while a lot of fans would groan, having his name attached to a new Star Wars film would be a huge deal in terms of PR and promotion.  If someone else handled scripting duties (something he hates) based on one of his stories....who knows.

I'm not saying it's going to happen (it probably won't) or that it's a good idea (it's probably not), but if they're willing to give Rian Johnson, who obviously hates Star Wars, carte blance to do what he wants, why not give the maker himself another go around the pod race track?

I think a Kenobi movie would deserve a George Lucas to direct. He and Ewan were part of the prequels together, so another movie with them is completely fine by me. However, how the actual film plays out is something of a concern to me. We already have it filled in that Obi Wan was just hermiting around for a few years. Should the movie leave the planet Tatooine? Who would be the main villain? Surely they can't pull in the Empire with this one, right? What will they do to make bantha riding and talking to a hazy Liam Neeson exciting?

8 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

We already have it filled in that Obi Wan was just hermiting around for 30 years. 

Where is this cannon?

We know Kenobi dropped Luke off at his relatives, and we know where he was 19 years later (I'm not sure where you're getting 30 years from).  Have we been told what he was doing in the interim?  Certainly he was on Tatooine for a good deal of that time, but I'm not sure it's been established that he never left the planet.

He had to hide from Vader, had to look over Luke and probably tried to persuade Owen to let him teach him, he took an Advanced Force Studies class from Qui-Gon... I don't think any of these permits him to leave the planet for having hasty adventures that would make an exciting movie. It could probably only be a grungy western-style slow burner showing him hermit around, sneak around in bars trying to get information about what's going on in the galaxy, maybe defend the homestead in secret from some Tatooine thugs, stuff like that.

Oh, and it was 19 years, not 30.

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

He was just Force-projecting himself all the time while lounging on a beach somewhere. I'm sure he's still alive.

Karol

0309_MarkHamill2.jpg?resize=800,600&ssl=

There he is! He is still alive...

There's no way you'd have a Star Wars film set on one planet, particularly one we've been too so often.

Wasn't there a dropped concept from ROTS about lost Jedi in another part of the galaxy for something? Maybe he flew off looking for them. 

Obi-Wan's mission was to hide from the nascent Empire and guard Luke until he came of age to accomplish his destiny. I don't see how going offworld helps either task.

A Kenobi spin-off movie could have flashbacks on other worlds, but considering how dense the time period is between Eps 2 and 3 with the Clone Wars TV series, the only time periods left are Kenobi's own childhood or the time between Eps 1 and 2. Neither is compelling. 

Here's the entirety of what Kenobi said about watching over Luke:

Yoda: To Tatooine, to his family take him.

Kenobi: I will take the child and watch over him. 

Nothing about never leaving the planet. Nothing about a Jedi in his prime doing absolutely nothing else for almost 20 years but live in a hutt. Just something from Yoda about communing with Qui-Gon and a general resolve to "disappear".  Gandalf promised to watch over Frodo but that doesn't mean he never left the Shire.

There's zero in the cannon that indicates he never left the planet, and so there's nothing to stop them from taking an adventure off world. 

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Can you imagine how Ewan McGregor would feel?  FINALLY he gets a chance to be in a good Star Wars movie, made by a director, any director, that knows how to work with actors, and show what he can really do...and he's told he has to work with "good enough" Lucas again.

Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford have had this opportunity and I do not believe they have had better experiences with the new directors.

1 minute ago, James said:

Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford have had this opportunity and I do not believe they have had better experiences with the new directors.

What makes you say that?

Karol

2 minutes ago, James said:

Yeah but at least they got to work with Irvin Kershner. 

And what makes you think Ford didn't enjoy working with JJ?

George never got it wrong with Ewan as Obi-Wan. Most people praise him as the highlight of the PT. He was excellently written, directed, choreographed and performed. He was a bold one.

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

What makes you say that?

Karol

I talk about the experience of not working with Lucas. The two always referred to him as an "obstacle" to good acting.

EDIT: Ah! Hamil says he's unhappy with the choices that Abrams and Johnson have done for his character.

6 minutes ago, James said:

I talk about the experience of not working with Lucas. The two always referred to him as an "obstacle" to good acting.

EDIT: Ah! Hamil says he's unhappy with the choices that Abrams and Johnson have done for his character.

How could Hammil been unhappy with Abrams?  Johnson I get, he fucked up the Luke character and good...but the character could have gone anywhere where JJ left him.

A Lucas-directed Kenobi movie could work, after all, he'll be working for the man, and not himself.

It's always puzzled me that, in nineteen years, Darth Vader never thought to look for his child among his step-family. Is this explored in the expanded universe?

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

A Lucas-directed Kenobi movie could work, after all, he'll be working for the man, and not himself.

It's always puzzled me that, in nineteen years, Darth Vader never thought to look for his child among his step-family. Is this explored in the expanded universe?

Didn't Vader think the kid(s) died with Padme?

Wasn't she made up to look like she was still pregnant at her funeral (at least that's the impression I got).

Why would he? It's place that caused him a lot of pain, and I'm sure the Emperor encouraged him to let go of Anakin Skywalker and all he was.  He had no reason to believe his kid was still alive to go looking for him, I don't think he'd go out of his way to just go there to kill his relatives.  A more interesting question is why Kenobi let Luke keep the name Skywalker. Had Vader bothered to check, the results would have been...unfortunate.

Though I do wonder why it didn't raise Vader's eyebrow (if he had eyebrows, I mean) when Princess Leia was trying to deliver the stolen Death Star plans to....Tatooine of all places.  And surely he must have been curious, upon reading the Stormtroopers after action report, that the droids were traced to the homestead of a moisture farmer named Lars, and that the family was killed.  I'd think he'd be interested in that factoid.

Owen saved Luke's life by keeping him from sending an application from one Luke Skywalker of Tatooine to the Imperial Academy. I'd imagine that would set off some search word alarms. 

Skywalker was clearly just a slave name.  Luke Skywalker would have been as common as John Snow.  That's why Leia says "You're who"? when Luke introduces himself. Why is this common slave rescuing me?