THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

12 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's hit and miss. The Alien Anthology BD isos have no fluctuations for example (I haven't checked out A3 yet so maybe that one does).

Yeah, unfortunately Alien 3 has volume fluctuations because, unlike Alien and Aliens, they had to use the film stems to build that isolated score. Tragically the sessions are lost to time/damaged, a real shame when you consider there was an entirely different ending recorded by Goldenthal that we've never heard (and probably never will).

I believe Matessino assembled those and did a brilliant job -- there's only one or two blemishes in the A3 iso (notably during the preparation sequence before the big fire) but most of it was cleaned up and sounds great. 

Wow, this is totally unexpected! Although I'm not a big fan of isolated scores with all their edits and volume differences, but I'm crossing my fingers for a good sound mix.

Wow! Had just listened to some YouTube rips that sounded unusually clean, and came on here to find out why. What a surprise! 

hmm, apparently the bit rate of the iso score is very low..like lower than 120kbps

I knew there was a catch and they could not possibly do it properly

no i mean the audio of the iso score track. I don't think it's related to the movie resolution.They probably did it on purpose so it sounds like  shit if we try to edit it and make a fan edit

There still might be different tiers of audio quality depending on which quality of the movie you're watching. Like, a Netflix stream has better or worse audio quality depending on whether you pay for HD or whatever.

Even still, there's always the chance they'll port it over to the inevitable 3D Bluray double-dip in DTS Master Audio.

so they give us an iso score, but encode it below the lower limit of listenability . nice

who knows if i'll be on a physical disk, this might be a one time freak incident only since there was never an iso score on any other SW movie or JW franchise movie

If you are just going off of what was ripped and put on YouTube, that might not be what it actually sounds like when you consider it was ripped and then uploaded to a website that compresses audio very badly.

Unless someone posting here has heard the actual isolated score. Then I retract my point.

11 minutes ago, King Mark said:

who knows if i'll be on a physical disk, this might be a one time freak incident only since there was never an iso score on any other SW movie or JW franchise movie

I hope so.

I'm going to guess that MA is using this as a marketing thing and therefore couldn't be bothered to arrange licensing the music outside the US.

But if they think it's going to stop the world obtaining it, they're idiots.

I'm surprised Disney Records even allowed this. Lost revenue much?

Eh, helllllllllooooo? Anyone at Disney Records paying attention? Give Matessino a call already.

I bet the low bitrate was a condition under which they could release this. And I bet Disney doesn't want to shoot themselves in the leg with releasing all of this so early in the game. In either case, it's a good sign.

Karol

96kb? Even for aac that's pants.

The uber-cynic in me says they know it will spread, and Disney doesn't want high quality copies out there. This theory could be disproved easily by an isolated score on a future Blu-ray.

Edit - crocodile beat me to it.

This doesn't seem to hold anything back like Force Awakens did when it put a separate release out with the 3D version, commentary and additional deleted scenes. Not sure there would be follow-up, at least not one with additional extras and not a simple repackage. 

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather hear the high quality sessions for the first time on a properly assembled complete album anyway.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather hear the high quality sessions for the first time on a properly assembled complete album anyway.

Karol

and if that will be ... never?

2 minutes ago, NL197 said:

This doesn't seem to hold anything back like Force Awakens did when it put a separate release out with the 3D version, commentary and additional deleted scenes. Not sure there would be follow-up, at least not one with additional extras and not a simple repackage. 

Shit, there's already a 3D release for TLJ coming out at the same time. That's a worry... I mean, I know Disney will double-dip this movie eventually but unlike TFA there's no real reason for them to revisit a home video release in the foreseeable future. :(

Rather cruel to give us the complete film score but to neuter its quality. That's just twisting the knife.

Just now, Smeltington said:

I bet the eventual "complete" score release will still be missing some little piece that we'll still have to take from this 96 kbps version  :lol:

:lol: I just had that exact same thought!

Ahh, the life of a JWFanner.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

:lol: I just had that exact same thought!

Ahh, the life of a JWFanner.

Clap your hands if you believe in Matessino!

Karol

wow, I've never felt so excited and let down in such a short time

I mean they couldn't even muster 120 Kbps, which is the lower limit of music listenabilty. Dear god

TLJ and TFA expansions are decades away. They're LA records and the union fees will be astronomical.

They probably get around paying those fees with isolated scores, because they're just an extension of the film's soundtrack (which is already licenced -- different story once you release on another medium separate to the film itself).

Would've been nice if they just found room to include this on the current Bluray.

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Not an option. And Disney is actually interested in releasing expanded albums...because they are doing it.

Karol

I believe it will be at least 10 years until a complete Last Jedi is released.

We don't even have complete scores of films 15 or 20 years ago.

Even the prequel scores haven't been released yet.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

I believe it will be at least 10 years until a complete Last Jedi is released.

We don't even have complete scores of films 15 or 20 years ago.

Yes we do. The Matrix expansions came out 10 years after, both recorded in LA.

Karol

MoviesAnywhere is a nice aggregate - all of the big "digital copy" retailers, including Disney, iTunes, Amazon, Ultraviolet, let you link your accounts there.  Then, not only are all of your digital copies available on that page, but the sites communicate with one another.  So everything you've bought on Amazon is also available on Ultraviolet, iTunes, etc, and everything you've bought on iTunes is available to stream on Amazon, etc.  It's really nice, since a lot of streaming devices don't have iTunes/Apple apps, that everything can be available everywhere.

I still haven't bought Rogue One ("new release" prices are nuts, and especially Disney new release prices), but this is enough to make me spring the money for the Blu+Digital early, most likely.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence was also expanded within 15 years of its release.

Home Alone 2 was expanded in 10 years.

The union fees associated with the Star Wars scores recorded in LA won't matter, because eventual expansions of these scores won't be spearheaded and funded by a small specialty label, but by Disney Records themselves, with Big Disney money.  They'll be fine, if Disney ever commissions someone to do them.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Matrix films pre-date the changes to union fees which began in 2005 I believe (right after War of the Worlds from memory).

You do realise that SW is not a small brand and Disney isn't a small company, right?

Oh @Jay beat me to it.

Karol

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Giacchino's LA Star Trek scores were expanded by Varese within 1-2 years of release.  If there's money to be had, etc.

Precisely. And as we all know, Star Wars sells. And even a small label like LLL would tell you that Williams sells. Just put it in a nice box and market it properly.

Karol

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

The union fees associated with the Star Wars scores recorded in LA won't matter, because eventual expansions of this scores won't be spearheaded and funded by a small specialty label, but by Disney Records themselves, with Big Disney money.  They'll be fine, if Disney ever commissions someone to do them.

Good point.