THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

that's sort of good news. It means Disney doesn't regret putting an isolated score and might do it again.

I thought it would have been pulled after a few months

On 11/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Someone on the OriginalTrilogy forums already got ahold of the raw lossless files for the isolated score in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. I already shared them in the "downloads" PM chain a few months ago. The stereo file was only mixed in 44.1khz / 16-bits, as far as I'm aware there is no 24-bit master of the isolated score.

So me and a friend inspected those files, and the stereo track is still the same HE-AAC transcode that we've come to expect. I guess people simply go by if it reaches to the top, as opposed to if anything seems off in general (in this case being that there's no actual content past 11 kHz, and what you see above is an artificial recreation).

However, the AC3 5.1 is definitely intriguing. There's nothing currently to suggest that it's from the above file, and could possibly be the source of the AAC iTunes copy. The fact they both stop at about 18 kHz certainly helps point in that direction. Plus, nothing particularly funny is going on below it, outside of the usual AC3 compression (being at 384 kbps). And yet, I still can't help but be weary, mostly because it's been paired with the standard MA copy. I don't know what makes for a legitimate 5.1 mix, so it has the potential be up-mixed. Plus, it just sounds about the same to me when comparing both (though perhaps my ears aren't the best for this task). There also might be trickery involved to make it appear different, but I wouldn't know how any of that works. Anyway, it definitely is at least a new copy of the iso, so I'd grab it between the two of them.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a recommended way to downmix the 5.1 file to stereo for the purpose of editing it into the OST/FYC material?  I realize it’s not so simple.

My default way is to load the 6 channels into my editor, set the FL/FR and SL/SR channels to pan left/right as appropriate, then render the whole thing to a wav.

I have no idea whatsoever whether that's what you're supposed to do :)

6 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a recommended way to downmix the 5.1 file to stereo for the purpose of editing it into the OST/FYC material?  I realize it’s not so simple.

I would just use the stereo file. Even if the additional frequency would be "artificial" as HunterTech believes, there is no visible hard cutoff like the 5.1 mix.

12 hours ago, HunterTech said:

So me and a friend inspected those files, and the stereo track is still the same HE-AAC transcode that we've come to expect. I guess people simply go by if it reaches to the top, as opposed to if anything seems off in general (in this case being that there's no actual content past 11 kHz, and what you see above is an artificial recreation).

However, the AC3 5.1 is definitely intriguing. There's nothing currently to suggest that it's from the above file, and could possibly be the source of the AAC iTunes copy. The fact they both stop at about 18 kHz certainly helps point in that direction. Plus, nothing particularly funny is going on below it, outside of the usual AC3 compression (being at 384 kbps). And yet, I still can't help but be weary, mostly because it's been paired with the standard MA copy. I don't know what makes for a legitimate 5.1 mix, so it has the potential be up-mixed. Plus, it just sounds about the same to me when comparing both (though perhaps my ears aren't the best for this task). There also might be trickery involved to make it appear different, but I wouldn't know how any of that works. Anyway, it definitely is at least a new copy of the iso, so I'd grab it between the two of them.

You are likely correct about the frequencies. The 5.1 file is indeed in true 5.1. If you listen to each channel, it's clear than some instruments are more or less noticeable in certain channels. The best example would be the Canto Bight cantina sequence. Upmixing would not allow for that to be the case.

To my ears, they both sounded very similar, so you could easily take either one. However, if going purely by technicality, I'd still go for the 5.1, as the data is at least legit all the way through. Besides, I think a cut off is only truly bad if its at or below 16 kHz, since that's where the compression will be more audible. What's basically HQ MP3 quality should be pretty serviceable to most.

For comparison:

HE-AAC untouched:

Spoiler

render1.wav.png

HE-AAC decoded:

Spoiler

test2.wav.png

AC3 5.1 downmixed:

Spoiler

render2.wav.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I'd read this thread sooner !

Just bought it on Itunes France and the score-only version doesn't appear anywhere...

I suppose it should be in this menu ?

SW-8.jpg

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Wish I'd read this thread sooner !

Just bought it on Itunes France and the score-only version doesn't appear anywhere...

I suppose it should be in this menu ?

SW-8.jpg

This is where it is in the US iTunes version 

scoreonlyscreenshot.png

Do we know for a fact that when The Last Jedi comes out on Disney+ it will include features like the isolated score or even The Director and the Jedi, which I've been meaning to catch? 

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Do we know for a fact that when The Last Jedi comes out on Disney+ it will include features like the isolated score or even The Director and the Jedi, which I've been meaning to catch? 

People in this forum who live in a country that already has TLJ in Disney+ have posted as much. 

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It does have the score-only version but not the documentary right now.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:32 PM, Jay said:

People in this forum who live in a country that already has TLJ in Disney+ have posted as much. 

what countries already have it?

There's a google chrome extension called "Hola! vpn". it allows you to access websites as if you are accessing it from a different country. I selected the Netherlands and refreshed disney plus, and now i am able to watch the last jedi isolated score feature, because TLJ is available on disney plus in the netherlands. If your interested this is the link, its not anything sketchy, you don't even have to download it. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-free-vpn-proxy-unblo/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en. just a simple extention :)

I'm annoyed the TLJ documentary is missing on D+. I don't want to pick up the Bluray just to watch it! 

At least the score only version is included though, and the Johnson audio commentary (but not the Abrams one for TFA, go figure). My receiver says it's receiving a PCM 7.1 stream for the score version of the film. That's via my PS4 though, not sure if I can capture it via Chrome or Firefox? Guessing they've made that practically impossible.

Oh yeah, is it just me or does the score in ANH sound even worse now? Barely audible in many segments and I only watched a few parts here and there. A victim of the Dolby Atmos conversion? 

20 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm annoyed the TLJ documentary is missing on D+. I don't want to pick up the Bluray just to watch it! 

At least the score only version is included though, and the Johnson audio commentary (but not the Abrams one for TFA, go figure). My receiver says it's receiving a PCM 7.1 stream for the score version of the film. That's via my PS4 though, not sure if I can capture it via Chrome or Firefox? Guessing they've made that practically impossible.

Oh yeah, is it just me or does the score in ANH sound even worse now? Barely audible in many segments and I only watched a few parts here and there. A victim of the Dolby Atmos conversion? 

I doubt you'll be able to capture the isolated score through Chrome or Firefox.  If you have a way to record it thru your PS4 that would be good.

There's a good chance it's the same quality as what's been out there.

Edit: For Star Wars (ANH) yes it does seem like it's a bit more lowered for the audio.

18 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

The music in TFA was still buried for the most part, too. There were parts that sounded almost mono. The “Burning Homestead” bit was nice and loud, though.

I don't get why the music for the Star Wars films have to be buried so much...well at least for the Prequels and TFA.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

https://theplaylist.net/disney-plus-last-jedi-star-wars-score-only-20191230/

COOL!

But where is it?

Haven't found it yet here in The Netherlands.

I haven't found it yet either. I'm in the US. The movie is on Disney Plus, but the score-only version isn't in the extras

Wait...TLJ debuted in the US on 12/26, and I don’t see the isolated score as an option on Audio or Extras. Am I missing something? That’s the only way I want to watch TLJ!

4 hours ago, dylanskie said:

I haven't found it yet either. I'm in the US. The movie is on Disney Plus, but the score-only version isn't in the extras

I also looked if it was listed separately under "Specials" in the Star Wars section.

But that's not where it is either...

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

Wait...TLJ debuted in the US on 12/26, and I don’t see the isolated score as an option on Audio or Extras. Am I missing something? That’s the only way I want to watch TLJ!

Maybe this was just the announcement and it has to show up?

I have a weird issue with Disney+ where different devices show different extras. My PS4 and tablet show the audio commentary with Rian Johnson but it's missing when I look it up via Chrome on my PC (along with a bunch of deleted scenes). The score-only version appears on all my devices though.

Try checking the extras on different devices and see if that helps.

EDIT: Correction, the Score Only version of TLJ has disappeared from the PC/browser and Android app versions of Disney+ for me. I haven't checked my PS4 but hopefully it's still there! How bizarre... it was there a few weeks back because I was playing it on my computer!

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

the Score Only version of TLJ has disappeared from the PC/browser and Android app versions of Disney+ for me. I haven't checked my PS4 but hopefully it's still there! How bizarre... it was there a few weeks back because I was playing it on my computer!

Checked my PS4 just now and the only extra's I could find are a whole bunch of deleted scenes and the movie with audio commentary.

Couldn't find the "Score Only" option as separate audio track for the film or audio commentary either.

Maybe time for us to Give Feedback here?

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp

I had just been mentioning this to certain Disney+ naysayers as a positive and this is sort-of undermining my point for them. :lick:

Yeah it's very bizarre, just disappearing in all markets overnight. What gives? I wonder if they're overhauling all the extras and took it down temporarily (or want to make it a 4K box set exclusive?)

Conspiracy theory: someone at Disney Records asked them to take it down in preparation for deluxe score releases this year! :P

Score only version wasn't on my Disney+ phone app when I just checked.  I have access to it on my digital copy (for the time being) if I ever want to watch it again, so not a big deal for me.  I don't really know how these things work, but maybe something with reuse fees (i.e. including it for a small audience who already paid $15-30 for their copy of the movie, not such a big deal; making it available for cheap-as-free to many, many millions more - maybe a bigger deal?)

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Reuse fees are only a factor in commercial soundtrack releases.  No fees need to be paid for isolated scores.

I wonder if that includes bundling the score as a bonus feature on a home video release? The Alien bluray set did that years ago, you could select any cue via the bonus features and listen to them without the film. Something similar for the sequels would be amazing, but only if they were the unedited versions of cues. 

I guess this doesn't really help us with the post 2005 scores in any meaningful way though. Labels can't dictate new home video releases of films just to include the film score. 

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Reuse fees are only a factor in commercial soundtrack releases.  No fees need to be paid for isolated scores.

This may be beyond what we're speaking about here, but I think reuse fees extend beyond just soundtrack releases.  My understanding is they relate to any use beyond that in the actual film it was recorded for (i.e., married to the film).  Possible examples would be background music at a theme park, tracking into a different film than it was composed for, etc.

Edit:  Here's a brief blurb from the AFM site, which seems to indicate that reuse comes into play when the film is released to "DVD, pay-tv, streaming, cable, and in-flight use" (meaning that the isolated score might be covered under that initial reuse fee and not subject to an additional reuse fee, as @Jay stated above):

New use, sometimes called re-use, is when a recording is used outside of its intended purpose. For example, music originally recorded for a CD is later used on a TV show or in a commercial triggering a new use payment. New use payments apply for all types of original recorded music, including sound recordings, TV and film scores.

AFM musicians also receive payment when their music is licensed for use in formats outside of its intended use (e.g, theatrical film scores released to “supplemental markets” such as DVD, pay-tv, streaming, cable, and in-flight use) or when excerpts of their music are used (“clip use”).

Source: https://www.afm.org/our-musicians/recording-digital-media/

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Makes sense, I guess that's how Twilight Time was able to release all those isolated scores on their Blu-ray releases.

Speaking of which, what's happening with TT now that Nick Redman is no longer with us?

All I've learned in 20 years about re-use fees is that it that they only matter when it's a John Williams score, as a bullshit excuse why an expanded release is not made.

Most other composers have complete releases made at the same time or soon after the OST and those fees never seem to be an issue or even talked about, ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a comprehensive track-by-track breakdown of the isolated score, and what timestamps to split the tracks?

On 1/16/2020 at 6:48 PM, toxickittycat said:

Has someone already edited the isolated score into tracks, like a fan-edit type thingy? I would love to be able to edit the score with a foundation.

If you have the isolated score, what do you need to edit?

4 hours ago, Demodex said:

If you have the isolated score, what do you need to edit?

Removing film edits, duplicate music, smaller tracks.

Two different people posted screenshots of their own edits of the iso score, with the names they gave to each chunk of score on the previous page of this thread, towards the bottom

That might be helpful to some people

As for the actual cue names JW originally gave to each cue, those were only recently fully made public and people are still figuring out exactly what name goes with what music over in that thread.

Is it weird that the score-only version was on Disney+ in multiple markets when it launched and has since been removed? I never got a chance to check if the quality was superior to the existing rip, frustratingly. 

And there's no sign of it returning, either. 

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is it weird that the score-only version was on Disney+ in multiple markets when it launched and has since been removed? I never got a chance to check if the quality was superior to the existing rip, frustratingly. 

And there's no sign of it returning, either. 

I still see the isolated score on Movies Anywhere page. Weird that Disney+ would pull it.

I feel like it may have disappeared around New Years. Could it be related to some annual licensing fee that was due for renewal? Maybe reuse fees? 

But then, it would've been taken down from Movies Anywhere at the same time... :sarcasm:

@hornist Interesting to see if the Score Only version launches in other countries. So far as we can tell, it's been removed from the AUS and US markets so far (and nobody has confirmed its status in other markets).