THE LAST JEDI - Complete Isolated Score stream available via Movies Anywhere and 2020 Blu Ray edition

DigitalfreakNYC

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

I guarantee you that is not the reason.

Okay, so what is the reason then?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

It's certainly why I don't have the rip yet.

Same here. I just hope the iTunes version that gets released in my territory will have the iso score.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Possibly because some people have respect for intellectual property rights?

What does IP have to do with it?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

It's certainly why I don't have the rip yet.

Have you legally purchased the BD/DVD, or download?

If you have purchased, or plan on purchasing, a legal copy of the movie, I don't believe downloading the rip is inconsistent with "respecting IP" (the legal question is another matter).  

Depends what you care more about

Respecting said IP rights or being able to listen to a near complete John Williams score that won't see the light of day for another 20 years on c.d.

And if you bought the movie and rip it yourself your STILL breaking the law . I'm pretty sure it says so in the various warnings on the Blu Ray.

Any file you save from You Tube with an app like videodownload helper is equally illegal to downloading a rip of the audio files

And any file you ripped from a videogame you own is also technically illegal (like the prequel unreleased music)

Even making a fan edit with this music is technically illegal

But nobody cares, and nobody ever will

13 minutes ago, King Mark said:

And if you bought the movie and rip it yourself your STILL breaking the law even if you feel a bit better about it . I'm pretty sure it says so in the various warnings on the Blu Ray

Meh, I could care less about that law. As far as I'm concerned, if I buy something physical, it's mine. If I want to rip the movie to my computer, I can. If I want to smash the disc into a million pieces with a hammer, I can. If I pay money for something, it's mine to do with what I wish.

"You can buy this pizza, but you can't eat it because I made it"

Yeah but people say this to make themselves feel better than downloading it from another source on the internet.

I'm saying TECHNICALLY they are both copyright infringement

The ONLY legal way to listen to this is sitting in front of your TV while the music streams in real time without recording any of it. If it ever makes it on your ipod it's illegal.

I'm just pushing the argument to the extreme to demonstrate it's a bit ridiculous not to consider downloading a ready made fan edit or a file of the isolated score

Just for the record, I never said I was going to rip anything. I plan to listen to the iso whilst viewing the movie.

And also for the record, you can't rip anything, you have to record the stream via analogue out.

39 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Any file you save from You Tube with an app like videodownload helper is equally illegal to downloading a rip of the audio files.

In fact, viewing said material on YouTube is just as illegal, whether you use a downloader or not, as the video file downloads to your cache as you stream it.

That's why I can't understand that all the illegal content on YT doesn't get taken down.

7 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

What does IP have to do with it?

Not sure I understand?

well, in any case , were not talking about  torrenting a movie or pirating a videogame because your too cheap to buy it.

These film scores are held hostage by studios that won't release them legally because they don't give a shit , so over the years you do what you can to get anything, or wait forever. And if after half your lifetime they do release it on c.d, then you buy it .Simple as that

25 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

In fact, viewing said material on YouTube is just as illegal, whether you use a downloader or not, as the video file downloads to your cache as you stream it.

That's not true at all, at least not in the US. Viewing streamed illegal content on the internet is fine, as long as you don't willingly download it. Personally I don't think the government has any business regulating any form of media; they have more important things they should be worrying about, like wars, and the future dictator we have in office.

And over here, downloading something for personal use is explicitly NOT illegal unless you're the one who uploaded the original file or created and shared the .torrent file.

There's also something like if you buy a digital data carrier device, you've already paid for the rights of the content you're gonna store on it through something called artisjus, but I don't know much about that, it may only be CDs...

On 4/9/2018 at 11:12 AM, Jay said:

if you wanted to illegally download it instead, it's been available to illegaly download since March 12th too, of course.

If you're talking about the copy being shared on the site dedicated to a certain JRPG, it's not 5.1.

40 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Also, in addition to my previous comment, I forgot to mention that certain distributors do allow their content to be uploaded to YouTube. Star Wars, for instance; Walt Disney Records allows you to upload any music from any of the films. The only drawback is that you can't monetize your video (which is obviously understandable).

2 minutes ago, gilbarc said:

If you're talking about the copy being shared on the site dedicated to a certain JRPG, it's not 5.1.

Yes he knows, it's my file.

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

Really? Looks like I need to move to Hungary. I'm like 80% Hungarian anyway...

By all means come! We have fatty foods, slow internet, low wages, corrupt and stealing politicians... Wait, that describes every country on Earth...

Technically, torrenting is different because you're uploading while you're downloading, but nobody's gonna persecute simple downloaders, just the original file creators, since everybody knows all 9.5 million of us do it.

5 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yes he knows, it's my file.

Ok, it's just that he was responding to people discussing whether the 5.1 version was available illegally by saying it is, whereas your stereo version is the only copy I'm aware of.

10 minutes ago, gilbarc said:

Ok, it's just that he was responding to people discussing whether the 5.1 version was available illegally by saying it is, whereas your stereo version is the only copy I'm aware of.

Oh I see. Yeah, I haven't seen any 5.1 versions yet.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Also, in addition to my previous comment, I forgot to mention that certain distributors do allow their content to be uploaded to YouTube. Star Wars, for instance; Walt Disney Records allows you to upload any music from any of the films. The only drawback is that you can't monetize your video (which is obviously understandable).

Wow, that's hard to believe. Do you have a source for that?

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

That's not true at all, at least not in the US. Viewing streamed illegal content on the internet is fine, as long as you don't willingly download it.

I'm sorry but clicking on the play button is a willing act, and the file is downloaded to your cache.

You can't claim ignorance of the law as a defence (at least not where I'm from).

2 hours ago, Holko said:

And over here, downloading something for personal use is explicitly NOT illegal unless you're the one who uploaded the original file or created and shared the .torrent file.

There's also something like if you buy a digital data carrier device, you've already paid for the rights of the content you're gonna store on it through something called artisjus, but I don't know much about that, it may only be CDs...

Didn't Canada have something like that for CD-Rs? IIRC a percentage of the price paid for each disc went to the recording artists association or whatever, to compensate for potential lost sales due to copying of music.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

You can't claim ignorance of the law as a defence (at least not where I'm from).

As I said, in the US playing a streamed video is not illegal. Download it is, but not playing it, even if it's temporarily downloaded to your cache. Most people probably have never even heard of a cache.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wow, that's hard to believe. Do you have a source for that?

I don't need a source... if you upload a video, go to your "copyright notices" tab, and it will literally tell you that you are allowed to upload it, just not monetize it.

EDIT: here is an image of one of the copyright screens on YouTube.

Untitled-1.png

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

Respecting said IP rights or being able to listen to a near complete John Williams score that won't see the light of day for another 20 years on c.d.

And if you bought the movie and rip it yourself your STILL breaking the law . I'm pretty sure it says so in the various warnings on the Blu Ray.

Respecting IP rights and respecting the law, while typically they go hand in hand, they don't necessarily have to.

If you purchase a legal copy of the TLJ, and torrent (or rip) the isolated score (or the whole movie for that matter), you're "respecting" IP...the copyright holders have been compensated, by you, via your legal purchase. You've "respected" their intellectual property by doing what you were meant to do...i.e. pay for it.  So if your primary concern is ethical, not legal, you're OK (IMO).

Again, the law is another matter...you may still be liable for torrenting a movie, even if you already own it. 

Well if your concern is that by torrenting you're enabling others, who don't respect IP the way you do, but you're still OK with ripping your own disc, or downloading the file directly from any number of places, all that's still illegal, but fits within your own ethical boundaries.  

I'm not condoning (or condemning) any of the above...just saying that the legal and ethical questions aren't necessarily the same.

I'm not advocating any of the things you mentioned @Nick1066.

Just for the record again.

I agree on the difference between ethics and legality (having studied chartered accouting, ethics was a required course ;)) .

This is still a grey and unsettled area of the law in many places. In the UK and US ripping a DVD you own is, ridiculously, “illegal”. Thought oddly ripping your own CDs in the US is fine. But even that is still technically illegal in the UK since a 2015 High Court ruling.

I say technically because obviously prosecuting people for ripping their own discs for personal use isn’t a priority for any government that I know of, and in fact as far as I know not a single person has been convicted for doing so.

Sadly the law still hasn’t caught up with the technology in many places. 

When it comes to DVD ripping being illegal in the USA while CDs aren't, I guess it has to do with the copy protection of DVDs which has to be broken when doing the rip. As we know this copy protection was broken shortly after DVDs became mainstream.

Guess that's why physical media will eventually die out (possibly except for some niche product offerings). The studios want it to happen so that everything will be streaming (subscription / single-use) based. It's more difficult to pirate (unless people feel like taking smartphone videos of their streams), and can be taken down whenever they feel like it.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

When it comes to DVD ripping being illegal in the USA while CDs aren't, I guess it has to do with the copy protection of DVDs which has to be broken when doing the rip. As we know this copy protection was broken shortly after DVDs became mainstream.

Pretty much, yes.

In the US, it's not illegal, per se, to make a digital "backup" of a DVD you already own, for personal use. But it is illegal to circumvent copy protection. So this contradiction in the law is partially responsible for the confusion in this issue. And again, why prosecuting people who make personal backups is not a priority.

5 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Guess that's why physical media will eventually die out (possibly except for some niche product offerings). The studios want it to happen so that everything will be streaming (subscription / single-use) based. It's more difficult to pirate (unless people feel like taking smartphone videos of their streams), and can be taken down whenever they feel like it.

I agree that a subscription based model is where things are going. And while I agree this will help reduce piracy, I don't think it's for the reasons you mention. When the day comes that you'll be able to pretty much stream anything, on demand, around the same time the BD/DVD would come out (and not months or years later), I think that's something a lot of people would sign up for and as a result piracy would go down.

But as far as how difficult it is to pirate something on Netflix vs. the DVD/BD, I'm not sure there's that much difference.  I'd imagine it might be somewhat harder, but there's tons of Netflix content available to pirate.

21 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

EDIT: here is an image of one of the copyright screens on YouTube.

Untitled-1.png

@Manakin Skywalker, is that video you posted the copyright info about from the complete iso?

If so, then it's quite interesting that YT recognises it as Disney property. Do they send their entire digital archive over to YT in case someone uploads one of their properties?

17 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

@Manakin Skywalker, is that video you posted the copyright info about from the complete iso or from the OST?

If it's the former, then it's quite interesting that YT recognises it as Disney property. Do they send their entire digital archive over to YT in case someone uploads one of their properties?

All copyrighted content is automatically tracked by YouTube... although that only counts music and video footage that has been commercially released; for instance, unreleased music, including most of the material on the isolated score, is not detected as copyrighted content at all. So technically you could theoretically monetize videos that include unreleased music (however that would be a dick move, and could get your channel banned). But the bottom line is that pretty much all commercially available video and audio is automatically tracked by YouTube. Record labels don't literally send YouTube audio files or whatever. But small factions, such as UMG, use AI to track them. The source I used for that specific video was from the OST (as well as some small bits from the FYC), however even if I had used the isolated score, the copyright notice would have been identical, and would have been picked up as music from the album.

It's not really interesting, considering Walt Disney Records owns all Star Wars music now, not Sony anymore. Any albums to be released in the future, including the set coming out on May 4th, will be under the Walt Disney Records label, and have been since January 2016.

From my deleted scene rips, only the 8-minute complete Fathers showed up as containing copyrighted material, citing the minute-long stretch from when the fathiers get up on that grassy plateau until the deleted Goodbye Kiss starts.