Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

"Reconstructed"?

What does it means? That they re-did the album edits using the original material?

I'll believe it when I'll hear it. :pfft:

Not surprising, it was only a matter of time before Disney hit that 'Milk it' button. 

It's easier to slap new artwork on the cover than it is to invest in something like expanded sets.

Disney = Hackfrauds 

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

"Reconstructed"?

What does it means? That they re-did the album edits using the original material?

I'll believe it when I'll hear it. :pfft:

Thats what happens all the time though. For most of the rereleases from the Soundtrack specialty labels.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thats what happens all the time though. For most of the rereleases from the Soundtrack specialty labels.

I know but from... Disney... ?

On LPs and digitally, we only got the "remastered" (really?) old-clunky edited versions...

If it's this again, I'll pass.

If I'm understanding the press release correctly, they hired Shawn Murphy to supervise fresh transfers of the original recording session elements, then someone reconstructed the OST programs from those transfers.

Funny thing is, wouldn't ROTS have been recorded right to digital in the first place, being from 2005?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that The Terminal was the last Williams score recorded to analog, I think... or maybe it was even Catch Me If You Can?

I'll be curious to hear how different this release will sound compared to the 2016 'Ultimate Digital Collection', the audio of which was 'transferred from the original LP masters using the highest resolution (up to 192kHz/24bit)'.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

If I'm understanding the press release correctly, they hired Shawn Murphy to supervise fresh transfers of the original recording sessions, then someone reconstructed the OST programs from those transfers.

"Someone"? :huh:

On 3/21/2018 at 5:23 PM, Quppa said:

I'll be curious to hear how different this release will sound compared to the 2016 'Ultimate Digital Collection', the audio of which was 'transferred from the original LP masters using the highest resolution (up to 192kHz/24bit)'.

Well, it would certainly sound different, since the LP masters were made using 1977/80/83 analog editing "technology" and the final master would be several generations removed from the original, and all the 2015 remasters did was spruce up those 77/80/83 edited analog masters.  This edition presumably began from scratch with a fresh digital transfer of the 77/80/83 unedited takes, which were then edited into the albums using proper modern digital editing technology.

If I'm understanding the press release correctly.

Just now, Bespin said:

They really hired a Photoshop pro for the covers. :sarcasm:

The covers for the digital releases of the OSTs last year were better, but it was the best when Sony just used the 77/80/83 covers in their 2015 editions.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:33 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Damn..how many times can you rerelease the star wars osts...

Regarding the original trilogy only:

May 77 / May 80 / May 83 - original releases on vinyl

Too lazy to look up (80s/90s somewhere) - Initial CD releases (TESB was only half the full 2LP program)

Jan 2016: Sony - digital and vinyl [remastered original analog LP masters]

Jan 2017: Disney Records - digital only [reissue of Sony's 2016 edition] + 3LP deluxe hologram/book edition for ANH [using Sony's 2016 remaster again]

May 2018: Disney Records - CD (first time TESB full 2LP is available on CD) [Brand new Shawn Murphy remaster / "reconstruction"]

" So I covered a behind the scenes discussion of this in a video I shot In october for a client. I left a detailed audio message for the show about it but they never covered it.

So where the previous release was a remaster of the previous sound track re
leases, the team at Skywalker this time sourced and resampled every available piece of music on all six films. They had to resurrect an old 2002 system for Clones and do some pretty advanced protools work on Sith. In fact as of that talk they were having problems with Sith, which I guess they solved. But I don’t know what of that music they chose to include on these releases.
"

From a SW group I am a part of.

Confirms the press release which says they reconstructed the albums from a fresh transfer of the original elemements

And could mean something better down the road too at some point.

I wonder if we will finally get a version of Clones with less hiss.

1 minute ago, Fal said:

And could mean something better down the road too at some point.

Alternate cues party!!!! :rock2:

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Alt cues party!!!! :rock2:

Mike Matessino has an attention to detail when assembling a track (when he has every take recorded), where he will meticulously make sure note by note that it's from the same take chosen for use in the film or album.

I wonder if whoever reconstructed these albums has the same attention to detail as he does?  If not, we could end up hearing some alternate takes for the first time ever.  This is what happened on the 1993 box set version of ANH, where many tracks that were not supposed to be alternates or anything actually were because Ford Thaxton didn't recreate all the performance edits like MM does.

5 minutes ago, Fal said:

I hadn't thought of that; That would be nice.

I wonder if the Target bonus track will be included.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@Jay Can you confirm that Mike Matessino was NOT involved in this project?

What am I, his personal publicist?

I am sure if he was involved, he would have been mentioned in the press release.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What am I, his personal publicist?

I am sure if he was involved, he would have been mentioned in the press release.

Well, I know you know... things... :sarcasm: 

Ok thanks. ;)

16 minutes ago, Fal said:

Weren't there logs? Perhaps Matessino left some sort of assembly record?

Well he has never reassembled the OST albums before, right?  Only the film cues.  Anyways, I never  said these editions WILL contain some wrong takes, I simply idly speculated that it was possible depending on the interest level whoever did the reconstruction had in maintaining accuracy.

Just now, Jay said:

Well he has never reassembled the OST albums before, right?  Only the film cues. 

Well, he could have figured out what was used for the OST albums in the process, I believe he did some sort of mockup using the album prior to working with the actual elements?

I have no idea

Even if he figured out take #s used in places, there's no guaranteed 22 years later whoever produced these editions asked him for those notes.

Also, don't forget, there's no guarantee they even USED the original unedited takes and reconstructed anything back in '97; They might have simply used analog dubs of the final edits cues for everything!.  In fact, IIRC, that is what they used!

(Obviously for Star Wars, they pulled every take when making the 1993 anthology and used that again in 1997, but for TESB and ROTJ they might have never had every take, only the final edits).

2 hours ago, Holko said:

They didn't for Jedi, it reportedly sounded great until they fucked up the Digital Noise Reduction in one of the last steps.

Do we have any source for this, or is it an urban legend?

Also, don't forget, Mike didn't even edit the 1997 editions; IIRC he basically told the guy(s) doing the editing how he wanted them sequenced but wasn't the actual editor. 

The modern Matessino/Bulk methodology of having a giant Pro Tools session open with every take of every cue and lining it all up to make sure its all correct wasn't done back in 1997 by anyone; It hadn't even been invented yet!

The 1997 Star Wars editions were still among the first expanded score releases ever.  The proper way to do things wasn't figured out for a long time after.

Indeed!

Mike M has said himself on podcasts he'd love to tackle the Star Wars scores all over again.

These editions do not prevent that from still happening some day.

In fact, it is actually good news if the press release is accurate and Shawn Murphy supervised a new digital transfer of the original elements.

That means if Disney were to hire Mike, they'd already have proper digital high res elements to give him to work with, and he wouldn't have to wait for everything to be transferred.

Of course, he would need a lot more material than these guys did; They might have only transferred the cues that made it to the OST programs.  Who knows.

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do we have any source for this, or is it an urban legend?

There's a PDF essay/document thing detailing the history of Star Wars scores and their releases that I can never find when I want to (why do I even delete it in the first place?), I seem to remember it being in there. It definitely says they used second-grade and water-damaged master tapes for Empire, but pristine ones have been found since. 

Yep, that's the one, thanks!

OK, a quick skim through reveals I may have misremembered and mixed some things up a bit. Sorry for that!

If they are remastering the ROTJ OST from original sources, then does that mean that they found the missing tape for the Jabba the Hutt suite? Part of it was apparently tracked onto "Han Solo Returns" on the OST and Anthology releases.