Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

Yeah there was already a thread on this piece of news so I merged yours with it.

And it seems it will again be the OST albums, nothing more nothing less but this time with the original ESB LP-programme first time on CD.

I hope they re-release the original OST programs now, because they didn't plan to include them in the next expanded boxsets to come (3-4 CD by movie would be maybe too much after all).

That would be logical to keep OSTs and expanded scores separated.

But are they logical and are they professional... So many questions!

13 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

Does anyone really think that new complete releases are not coming? I'd put money on their being released after the completion of Episode 9 if not before!

Of course they will come, we just need to be patient.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

How many reissues of SW can you possibly have without adding any new music? This is insane.

I think this has to do with the fact that these are different companies.

BMG, Sony, and now Disney. 

Like I said, I'm sure we're gonna see the complete releases in the not so distant future. 

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Hey chums, my birthday actually is on May 4th.

Just sayin’.

So you're gonna treat yourself to these new releases? 

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So you're gonna treat yourself to these new releases? 

I was wavering, but the posters clinched it (though collectible trading cards would have been even better).

We should always remember there were Star Wars fans who died waiting for the 1997 expansion. Still I'm optimistic that a proper release will see the light in less than 10 years from now. Maybe after episode 9, they may release a 20-25 CD box set with the complete scores plus unused music and alternates.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

But they can get Matessino? Or is he only working with the specialty labels?

Any company in the world could choose to hire him, of course.  You could hire him to do something if the price was right :lol:

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Or maybe Disney is ignorant of the great work he's doing and they'll get their own collaborator?

It's not big corporate Disney spearheading this stuff, its Kathleen Kennedy, the head of Lucasfilm, who obviously knows Matessino and his work, being the producer of all the Spielberg films he's recently expanded the Wiliams scores of.

2 hours ago, alan1984 said:

- Shawn Murphy is re-assembling the OST releases to be issued this year

The press release does NOT say he was involved in the reconstruction process!  The press release only says he supervised the digital transfer of the original elements.

2 hours ago, alan1984 said:

- Disney have done the unheard of and put out a Star Wars film with an isolated score so they clearly know the hunger that there is for the music

Disney the film studio and Disney Records the music label are separately run entities that share a name and logo.

The film studio issuing the iso score has nothing to do with the music label reissuing the OSTs.

Everyone used to complain about the fact that there was no CD re-release of the original trilogy's OSTs and now everyone starts complaining about the new OST re-releases for not being complete. We don't even know if they are currently working on C&Cs. To be honest, I have seen enough evidence to assume that.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

The press release does NOT say he was involved in the reconstruction process!  The press release only says he supervised the digital transfer of the original elements.

Disney the film studio and Disney Records the music label are separately run entities that share a name and logo.

The film studio issuing the iso score has nothing to do with the music label reissuing the OSTs.

Fair enough and sorry for getting some details wrong, but I think the point I was making still stands.

With the top brass at Lucasfilm being Kathleen Kennedy though I don't necessarily think that the iso release is irrelevant. Should have said Lucasfilm rather than Disney I guess.

If the Live in Concert of the OT and TFA is of any evidence...  There seems to be a correlation between the LIC and C&C releases so far.  I imagine Williams HP C&C will be released soon enough.

15 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

If the Live in Concert of the OT and TFA is of any evidence...  There seems to be a correlation between the LIC and C&C releases so far.  I imagine Williams HP C&C will be released soon enough.

It makes sense.

The amount of digging and research that we know has gone in to some of these live concerts makes them perfect opportunities to put out c&c releases.

Other than the Potters (which I think LLL may have been eluding to with their "for the books" post), are their any films that have had the live in concert treatment that have not also had recent expanded releases? Indy and Aliens having already had expansions, of sorts.

For me it confirms absolutely nothing, except that "these are new transfers". Oh we already get this part. :eh:

Is he a politician or a sound engineer?

The film mixes for the OSTs and their concert versions? That could use some clarification.

After 15-20 years with the OT OST vinyl being the only versions (other than Gerhardt), I'll never not hear those cue edits/ordering, but going back to actually listening to those programs again after reluctantly listening through the "mastered for iTunes" lossy versions will only be made possible by the hope that new transfers reveal new audio or at least better sound (lots of room on that front). ROTJ sounds great but I've always been curious why it didn't sound as good or better than the LSO/Abbey on Raiders, it's a bit too dark not to mention the Olympic studios "Superstructure" mess. The '97s are really the only version musically speaking for me until Matessino ever does the C&C. Not interested in revisiting the PT unless C&C, the OSTs felt too reliant on weaker material/underscore.

If they were attempting to go with a lightsaber colour/ship/droid finish theme on the covers, why didn't they do it halfway properly?

What he is saying that they abandoned the LP Vinyl mixes and went back to the original film mixes and used that to re-edit and reconstruct the OST Program. Murphy had done similar take on the Music Videos that was done for Revenge of the Sith set. Those were very accurate film mixes of such tracks such as the  THE ASTEROID FIELD which was botched on the 2CD RCA/Sony Special Edition sets. 

I'm definitely excited by this. 

I expect these new releases to sound wonderful.

I just wish these OST albums were 3rd discs in new 3CD sets that contained the complete scores also edited from these 192/32 fresh transfers on discs 1 and 2.  Oh well.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I expect these new releases to sound wonderful.

I just wish these OST albums were 3rd discs in new 3CD sets that contained the complete scores also edited from these 192/32 fresh transfers on discs 1 and 2.  Oh well.

3rd and 4th... except if Disney wants to offer us 74+ minutes CDs.

But looking at the covers... it's looks like an "el cheapo" production.

I'm sorry but the name of Shawn Murphy itself, I will quote the Princess, "isn't quite enough to get me excited".

Even if these new releases will contain music we already have, the good thing is that they transferred everything in High-Res digital. This is good news, since the "transfer" part necessary to create complete releases is already done (if this transfer is well done, I doubt they'd want to transfer the whole thing again to make complete score releases).

And if the OT new releases sound great, that means the complete scores, when released, will sound as great (unlike crappy 1997 SEs).

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

One day Disney will hire Matessino to make proper expanded scores from these Murphy-supervised transfers, they will be amazing, we will enjoy them immensely, and look back on the dark and confusing 2015-2027 period of OST reissues and weep.

Fixed it for ya!

;)

34 minutes ago, Bespin said:

3rd and 4th...

Or 5th.  I want a disc with all of Williams coughs and sneezes that occurred during the respective sessions.

Never thought I'd be excited to have the OSTs re-issued again but the new 192/32 transfers and assembly have me very curious indeed. Can't wait to hear how they sound!

It looks like they either moved reviews to the new products or replaced everything on the old pages with information on the new editions. The TPM one has reviews all the way from when it first came out.

34 minutes ago, Drew said:

It looks like they either moved reviews to the new products or replaced everything on the old pages with information on the new editions. The TPM one has reviews all the way from when it first came out.

Amazon isn't the best at separating reviews for different releases/products/models/etc.

Wow you really didn't read any part of the thread before asking that lol

These are brand new remasters, not reissues of the 2016 Sony editions.