Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

In 5 years max I will be out of my mid life crisis and people will be still as dumb on this forum.  :pfft:

Finally I understand why great and entertaining users recently decided to leave, it's a fool house here.

I think I need a break too.

We will probably lose the charming clunky analog edits of the OT albums. It will be interesting to hear the end credits of ESB, for instance. This is kind of like modern fan edits of the old versions of the SW OT using newer remasters and digital technology to reassemble everything to match the original version. It's ironic.

3 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

We will probably lose the charming clunky analog edits of the OT albums. It will be interesting to hear the end credits of ESB, for instance. This is kind of like modern fan edits of the old versions of the SW OT using newer remasters and digital technology to reassemble everything to match the original version. It's ironic.

Funny how these bad edits suddenly are charming... ;)

I think the first time I realized that the edits were edits was when I was at a theme park and they played the original album Main Titles.  Over a theme park PA in a crowded park I could hear the edit from the main titles / blockade runner to the end title.  And that was after 25 years.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Are these going to become available on iTunes because right now they have the narrow non expanded ones for the OT. Just wondering...

Err, this release is basically a replica of those currently available non-expanded iTunes releases... They're just remastered, so the sound quality will be different. They're otherwise identical.

I have separated out all custom cover posts into a separate thread, available here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28434-star-wars-custom-covers-thread/

Please continue all the great work you guys have been doing making custom covers over there!

We'll keep this thread free of custom cover art and just discuss (let's be honest.. speculate about for now) the reissues themselves in this thread.  Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

JWFan: making cover art great again.

I saw once Bespin left that the thread had a lot of cover art. Hahaha! But seriously Bespin! Get back in here!

34 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

This is the one I will get.

20180415_145409.jpg

You don't want to finally own the 1980 2LP set of Empire on CD after all these years?

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

You don't want to finally own the 1980 2LP set of Empire on CD after all these years?

You know I am one of the few here who believes (knows?) Star Wars is the best score of the 8. There is always a chance I could get more. Does ROTJ have Yub Nub or victory celebration. AND What version is TPM

23 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

You know I am one of the few here who believes (knows?) Star Wars is the best score of the 8. There is always a chance I could get more. Does ROTJ have Yub Nub or victory celebration. AND What version is TPM

All six new CDs are the original albums JW arranged at the time of each film's release.

So the '77 2LP Star Wars program, the '80 2LP Empire program, the '83 Jedi OST, the '99 TPM OST, the '02 AOTC OST, and the '05 ROTS OST

17 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I'm one of the few.  (Although ESB is so close that I might occasionally change my mind.)

I hope they use the actual album take of the "Detention Block Ambush" section of "The Last Battle" track. I'd love to listen to an improved remaster of it.

I'm satisfied with the Sony remasters, but I'm curious what these will sound like. Because they're reconstructing the original album edits, they'll be weird. But they will be all new sounding versions. I wonder what Episodes II and III will sound like in particular. Those have a sort of muddy sound and lack punch on the OSTs.

This year, I will try yo post you my best " May the 4rth be with you" from Turks and Ciacos.

Will I Be Jedi... or Sith?

33 minutes ago, phbart said:

I hope they use the actual album take of the "Detention Block Ambush" section of "The Last Battle" track. I'd love to listen to an improved remaster of it.

Isn't that what the 2016 Sony edition provided? 

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't that what the 2016 Sony edition provided? 

The album take? Yes, but from the album masters - I.E. not improved. Shawn Murphy said they're using new elements for this release, didn't he?

I don't consider the 2016 release as a "remaster". Just a fresh transfer of the album masters.

Now, for the 2018 release, they're reconstructing the album using superior sources. But I guess you know that already... right?

Screenshot_20180322-203445.png

I have no idea! And I couldn't care less about what can be considered remaster and what cannot.

What I want is that they sound better than ever before. If that can be called "remastering", then so be it. :) 

"As best as can be obtained." Wonder if that means there were better sources available that are either missing or have perished? Seems to imply these scans are sourced from secondary copies of the film mixes.

Should be interesting to finally hear some detail on the state of the master tapes, one way or another. I'm just thankful everything has finally been scanned at high resolution for preservation sake.