Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

15 hours ago, voltisubito said:

The fold out poster is an image of a slightly puzzled-looking Qui-Gon Jinn Liam Neeson holding his lightsaber.

Fixed.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Congrats, @Nick1066! How is it to achieve Likes-enlightenment?

Oh, 1,000 likes! I didn't know what you were talking about at first.

When do I get my set of steak knives? How many likes do you have to get before they create a thread about you if you vanish?

47 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Actually, FOTR is available now to download as well, which leaves only TTT for people who either didn't buy the CR's, don't have a friend with the CR's, or have chosen to not avail themselves of one of the myriad of ways which exist to hear these scores.

Oh wow! I checked now and saw that FOTR has indeed popped up for DL/streaming. 'Bout time too.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Only one way to find out....

He'll anyway be occupied for months with his newly acquired set of steak knives.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Oh wow! I checked now and saw that FOTR has indeed popped up for DL/streaming. 'Bout time too.

And it's on Spotify too, so no I don't have to purchase the overpriced physical set. :)

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The rest of you are lucky. I can’t give Patented Bilbo Likes™️ To myself 😢

I see @JTWfan77 got the coveted honour of giving me my 1,000th like, so your precious "Bilbo Likes™️" missed out, Mister Man.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

I see @JTWfan77 got the coveted honour of giving me my 1,000th like, so your precious "Bilbo Likes™️" missed out, Mister Man.

A certain amount of quality is expected to receive a Patented Bilbo Like™️. They’re not handed out like smarties. There’s a selection process, audit, and review. 

Dont feel bad though. A but more work and you can achieve some more!

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great comparison! I notice that the frequencies on the 2018 remaster are abruptly cut at 22kHz. That's not a good thing.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

As far as I know, the way the frequency spectrum is cut off at the high end has nothing to do with the sample rate.

When downsampling for CD (44.1 kHz sample rate), any part of the audio signal above 44,100/2 = 22.050 kHz frequency (the Nyquist frequency) will be removed by a low-pass anti-aliasing filter. This is the highest frequency at which audio can be reproduced without error. If there's a high-resolution release of these remasters, you shouldn't see this cut-off.

1 minute ago, voltisubito said:

When downsampling for CD (44.1 kHz sample rate), any part of the audio signal above 44,100/2 = 22.050 kHz frequency (the Nyquist frequency) will be removed by a low-pass anti-aliasing filter. This is the highest frequency at which audio can be reproduced without error. If there's a high-resolution release of these remasters, you shouldn't see this cut-off.

Well, for the CD release the filter should have been applied between ca. 20kHz and 22kHz with a gradual decrease in amplitude. That's clearly not the case for these CD releases.

41 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

So do I get one of the steak knives?

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Has anyone else (in the US) had the delivery estimate for ANH shifted to May 8 instead of May 4? All of them say May 4 for me except ANH now (just happened today).

Same here.  They are telling me I'll have ESB, ROTJ, and the prequels tomorrow, but I won't have ANH until May 9th.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28272-fellowship-of-the-ring-the-complete-recordings-re-issue-now-available-3cd1bd-or-5lp/&do=findComment&comment=1470278

Does anyone know if the PREQUEL OST masters were assembled from the digital or analogue recordings of the PT?

What I'm essentially asking is, will these be the first releases of the prequels sourced from the analogue masters? If so, woohoo!

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Does anyone know if the PREQUEL OST masters were assembled from the digital or analogue recordings of the PT?

What I'm essentially asking is, will these be the first releases of the prequels sourced from the analogue masters? If so, woohoo!

Based on what I know about other scores recorded around that time, I would guess all three were very likely entirely edited from the digital recordings, and the analog tape was basically a backup running that got immediately vaulted and never used until now.

Maybe TPM started from the analog recording, but it would have then all been edited with 1999 era digital editing technology, so was probably done at 16/441 the entire way through.

From those samples, I like what I'm hearing so far.

Yes, can confirm hearing actual brass in Into the Trap for the first time* made me start weeping. Preorder button smashed.

*OK, not actually, but the SE one is the one engraved into my head

A New Hope and Empire sound very promising based on the samples!

Somebody would need to do a side-by-side comparison for me to know there's a difference between what I'm hearing in these samples and the Sony '15 tracks.

There you go, dreams do come true sometimes.

Into the Trap, Parade of the Ewoks and The Forest Battle are the definition of my years between 8-10, playing with LEGO while listening to the SE versions. It's an unexpressable feeling to hear at least these portions in listenable quality.

1 minute ago, Alan said:

FUCK YES! MY PREDICTION WAS CORRECT!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

That's what you dream about?

I'm in a certain point of my life where I don't dream with the impossible anymore... that is, if you mean complete 3CDs for each film sourced from the best available elements and handled completely by MM.

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

For some reason when I search that site for the othe releases, it does not show me anything; Perhaps because it knows I am in the US.  Would you be so kind as to provide the URLs for all 5 of the other releases too?

2 minutes ago, phbart said:

I liked the smooth transition from "Rebel Blockade Runner" to "End Title" on track 1. It's been rough and hissy on the original album mix.

What I was most curious about with this remaster.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Were those timpani percussion overlays on the original OST version of Anakin's Dark Deeds?!

I was JUST about to say that!