Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

Listening to the OT remasters now. Nothing is jumping out at me so far. 

The textures on The Little People Work are incredibly clear, but I'm not sure if it was always that way.

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

There is no cymbal there on the original OST either. Happy Birthday btw!

There's no Cymbal on the score either, must be an over dub or sample recorded earlier. I know on film scores like this they sample a few of the instruments doing suspended cymbal rolls or bass drum hits to overlay if they need to chop cues up. Why this cymbal has been put in and just cut off, I've no idea! 

and Thank you :)

16 minutes ago, DavidGawne said:

Not sure if any has mentioned this but the one track i am disappointed in on the ESB album is 'The Departure Of Boba Fett'. On the original album there`s some really nice woodwind that starts around the 16 second mark but on the new remasters it`s practically inaudible. 

Yes it's not very good, some have described it as sounding MONO, i also feel the same. No width on the string section at all (compared to the others). 

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Pardon my ignorance but how could anything be missing if there are digital masters? Digital masters that were clearly distributed internally to LucasArts, etc.?

Thor can tell you.

I'm sorry.

Thor's a top bloke, but a purist of the OST presentation. These remastered sets must be sacrilege of some kind.

Right now they were referring to his unfortunately less than perfect digital backup system that tragically backfired not long ago.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you implying that Lucasfilm was storing the digital score masters on Thor's external HD?

Are you implying that Thor deliberately crashed his HD to destroy any masters of music that was not part of the album edits?

No, I was just abusing him as an example of how easily digital data can be lost. Although a big, world wide company should of course have a decent, decentralised backup system. Emphasis on "should".

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

The Astroid Field the old version seems more dryer than the new one, slightly more reverb on the new one. Both are interesting as they are slightly different, depends on listening taste as to which one people will enjoy better.

Slightly? This guy from FSM is qualified to work on Disney quality control department.

But sure it depends on your taste which one you will enjoy better. Wether you have taste or not.

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

No, I was just abusing him as an example of how easily digital data can be lost. Although a big, world wide company should of course have a decent, decentralised backup system. Emphasis on "should".

I don't think Thor qualifies as a "big, world wide company". ;)

3 hours ago, aj_vader said:

There's no Cymbal on the score either, must be an over dub or sample recorded earlier. I know on film scores like this they sample a few of the instruments doing suspended cymbal rolls or bass drum hits to overlay if they need to chop cues up. Why this cymbal has been put in and just cut off, I've no idea! 

and Thank you :)

Remember the leaked scores are not definitive.  JW makes many changes on the stand and it might only be during a full review of the score and final recorded materials that updates are made if they are doing a Star Wars in concert type of thing.  Somebody has a job of flushing through the recordings and updating the scores accordingly.  For example, there was a scenario in The Last Jedi where a melody was given to six horns but on the stand, JW asked to try it as a solo and that is what they kept so the sheet music will indicate six horns but the film has solo horn. 

Sounds pretty great in 192khz lol.

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 2.10.08 PM.png

This is the spectrogram of the first minute of this track.

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 2.13.33 PM.png

They're all available on 7digital in 24-bit 192khz, in case anyone was curious. :)

I've been cranking AOTC every chance I get today. Sounds awesome! Love this remaster. I'm adoring the dynamic range. Very 90s Horner-esque. Listen to the horns come in near the beginning of Return to Tatooine. Wow!

21 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I've been cranking AOTC every chance I get today. Sounds awesome! Love this remaster. I'm adoring the dynamic range. Very 90s Horner-esque. Listen to the horns come in near the beginning of Return to Tatooine. Wow!

I've sampled the middle bit of AotC Chase Through Coruscant and have to say I do not like this new remaster at all. The stereo separation is completely exaggerated and the individual elements of the orchestra sound fragmented (it's almost ping-pong bad). Much prefer the warmth and soundstaging of the original CD, so much more involving to listen to.

My work headphones apparently only had one functional side (the right) for months until I finally figured out what was wrong on Friday.

So these will probably sound okay to me. 

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I've sampled the middle bit of AotC Chase Through Coruscant and have to say I do not like this new remaster at all. The stereo separation is completely exaggerated and the individual elements of the orchestra sound fragmented (it's almost ping-pong bad). Much prefer the warmth and soundstaging of the original CD, so much more involving to listen to.

Some of the editing and mixing sounds kinda awkward, like the opening of Confrontation with Count Dooku, but I find it adds to the charm. It sounds a bit more in line with the clunky analog edits on classic OSTs.

AOTC has always had good dynamic range, though. Just listen to Tusken Camp. It goes from extremely soft to extremely loud. It's amazing.

Anyway, it's a nice fresh remaster/mix of this unfairly maligned score that I've always enjoyed.

I think most people just don’t listen to it, because they don’t have a strong attachment to the movie. I’ve only seen it once (vs. probably twenty times the OT).

I posted this on the FSM forum; thought it worthy of copying it here:

"Here in Australia our main supplier of these CDs is local retail giant JB Hifi. They have been advertising on their site the CDs to be available in store on 4th May. However, now that day has come and gone their website says "pre-order" only, with a "provisional" covers shown.

Reading all these comments it makes me wonder if some faults have been discovered in the first batch of CDs to be pressed and JB is holding off stocking them until this is sorted out. I also noticed the French versions have covers different to the official ones shown on the starwars.com site. I also wonder if we'll be getting alternate overs too."

I think it's likely JB are just awaiting stock and the release was pushed back. If there were any defects detected with the pressings or cases, the problem would've been on a larger scale and out of their control. JB do stuff like this all the time, set a release date and push it back when they don't have the stock.

So, the spectral view of the 192kHz/24bit of "Asteroid Field". I'd say it's... well, it looks like... hmm, I guess I can say it's... okay, I don't really know what foul-mouthed word I can use to describe this.

Sem_título.png

6 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

OK, this is awful. Sorry if I'm late to the party in bringing this up (?), but has anyone noticed the absolutely horrendous edit in the first track of ROTS? For comparison, here's the original mix (3:14 in both versions)  

Yes. When I first noticed it I was walking down a busy street with loads of traffic and windy weather while listening with earbuds. How that edit escaped anyone in a studio environment, I’ll never know. 

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

That's actually a question we should ask to Shawn Murphy.

I can. But I'm afraid to ask him.

In spite of the mixing and editing, I will say the quality of the music is excellent to my ears, particularly the OT.  If this is the best the music can sound, then I'm a happy camper in that regard.

Aurora is high on meth this time. Notice how she's not quite regular on her right side against her left side.