Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

45 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

The difference is Thor is fine with other people listening to C&C as long as he doesn't have to. But Holko wants to suppress OSTs so that nobody else will ever be able to hear them.

He wants the labels to stop selling expansions and start selling complete unreleased scores only....

There wouldn't be any of this OST vs. C&C crap if the damn studios/composers just invested the time and money to release the whole score upfront in the first place.

6 hours ago, The Big Man said:

The difference is Thor is fine with other people listening to C&C as long as he doesn't have to. But Holko wants to suppress OSTs so that nobody else will ever be able to hear them.

They've been out for 40 fucking years and reissued so many times, once even the proper actual album masters that the guy admitted he owns in multiple formats, I just don't want the eventual finally for the first time normally properly done releases to be bogged down by them too because they have no proper unique material or any clever combinations and I think they are terrible incoherent messes. I look through my expansions andc an make an excuse for each included OST (even if it's "eh, disc 2 had space for it anyway, why not I guess), and can't really make any excuses why the ones that don't incluse them should have. And I can't think of any real good excuse to include the SW ones either. I've never seen a good comparison about how the album mixes differ, but Mike could use some of it as inspiration when doing the mixes from the multitracks from scratch if something's buried in one but not the other. Once again you just disingenuously spew false assumptions about what people think just to make your point. Go fuck yourself.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The entire reason album presentation for films exist is because of the technological and budgetary limitations of the early-to-mid 1900's. Record labels and/or film studios were usually unwilling to release any more than one hour of music, whether the composer wanted all of their music to be released or not, to the point where it's become one of those unnecessary cultural traditions that people have become needlessly complicit with. It's a concept that needs to go in my opinion. We have the ability to release full scores these days, and if the composer feels they want to release those full scores, they should have the freedom to do so. I imagine most composers want all of their music to be released, but the studios won't let them out of the sake of tradition and wanting to spend the least amount of money they possibly can. It usually has nothing to do with the composer's intent, as some people here would wrongly have you believe. It all comes down to corporate greediness and the complicitness of some fans. In some cases, it might be the composer's wishes to release a condensed presentation, and those are the only cases I'm somewhat okay with.

From the stuff I've listened to, not many complete film scores feature the wildly badly changing moods and tempos and all that to follow scene changes and whatnot that many people always complain about - if the composer knows what they're doing, the transition will feel right and warranted and will fit, or deliberately a messy fun back-and-forth.

Many of these messy OSTs like ESB and TPM and the Indys mashing unfitting cues together with bad transitions, alternating between moods in a feeble attempt to try and keep even the lowest form of attention deficit listener's attention, shoving very differently written concert cues into the first couple tracks to satisfy another form who just want dat one cool song from da moovi, fit that description much better. I have to think on some level all that being the norm and the only available standalone release for decades contributed somewhat to that perception/conclusion/judgment.

41 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Hurling abuse at people with a different perspective. Sad!

hurlling abuse at someone who decides what I think and derides me for it

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

hurlling abuse at someone who decides what I think and derides me for it

With judgements like:

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

feeble attempt to try and keep the lowest form of attention deficit listener's attention, shoving very differently written concert cues into the first couple tracks to satisfy another form who just want dat one cool song from da moovi, fit that description much better.

...ya ain't helping your cause.

Holko, you're allowed to express your own opinions all your want and say how they differ from other people's opinions, but you can't tell other forum members to go fuck themselves.  Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules before posting again.  Thanks!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Holko, you're allowed to express your own opinions all your want and say how they differ from other people's opinions, but you can't tell other forum members to go fuck themselves.  Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules before posting again.  Thanks!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

Oh but Drax is just allowed to purposefully misphrase and misrepresent and straight out make up others' statements and opinions and when called out for it, play the victim as if he's the reasonable one over and over again? You didn't say anything here but you do now when I've included reasoning behind it too?

How about you both talk about music without insulting anybody else when doing so?

And how about no members ever tell other members to go fuck themselves?

That's all I ask.  Thanks!

I prefer the single LP TESB assembly to the 2 LP set. I suppose the fact that it's all I had for the first 10 years (until I got the Gerhardt) has something to do with it.

I choose the Anthology over the 2 LP sequence when I want a more substantial listen.

I wonder what a single LP sequence of SW would have looked like?

From a technical perspective, there's nothing wrong with the 2015 album masters.

Just a matter of personal preference whether you prefer the Neal album mixes for SW/ESB or the Tomlinson film mixes, I guess. I'd say most prefer the latter?

@The Big Man, can you elaborate on your adulation for those waveforms?  I'm a waveform neophyte, and I'm curious what makes those indicative of particularly good...mixing?  Mastering?  I don't even know enough to know which term to use.

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Mine haven't. And I have CDs manufactured from as early as 1982.

And they might not for many more years, but it's still possible.

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

@The Big Man, can you elaborate on your adulation for those waveforms?  I'm a waveform neophyte, and I'm curious what makes those indicative of particularly good...mixing?  Mastering?  I don't even know enough to know which term to use.

The ratio of the peaks/transients to quieter bits is fairly wide, so those louder bits have more punch when they hit. This tends to make music more fun and interactive. And the 2015 masters achieve this without falling into the trap that many remasters fall into where peaks reach clipping levels.

Regardless of how these were mixed, and I know people here are divided on the album mixes, the mastering job on these is very, very good.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Another release of ESB?

What is unique to this one?

This is John Williams's 1980 OST LP program, newly rebuilt by Shawn Murphy in 2018 from a new transfer of the old elements, now appearing on vinyl for the firs time.  Disney Records already released this to CD as well as all digital platforms in 2018