Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Part of me is thinking they might just abandon CD's altogether at this point though and just dump them all digitally, in which case the amount of discs wouldn't matter (perhaps even leading to more music being released?)

A huge 20+ CD box set would also give Disney an excuse to charge big bucks for it, putting off perhaps more casual fans, and those who didn't need all 9 scores. Makes much more sense to me to just do digital sets, focusing on the best presentation and some nice cover art, and not worrying about disc capacities, boxes that fall apart during shipping and scratched CDs.

9 minutes ago, Gibster said:

That would be north of 20 vinyls so unlikely but would guarantee digital

If my estimate of 22-25 discs is correct, that'd be equal to a whopping 44-50 LP vinyl set. Which, using Mondo's pricing model, would be about $937.50 + shipping/tax. :lol:

22 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If my estimate of 22-25 discs is correct, that'd be equal to a whopping 44-50 LP vinyl set. Which, using Mondo's pricing model, would be about $937.50 + shipping/tax. :lol:

So you're saying it might be a bit of a big box set :lol:

Sorry this may have been mentioned in this thread before, but 45 pages is a lot to scroll through to try to find this, do we know what tapes were used as sources for each of the three original trilogy remasters?

17 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Sorry this may have been mentioned in this thread before, but 45 pages is a lot to scroll through to try to find this, do we know what tapes were used as sources for each of the three original trilogy remasters?

"Best available" was about as detailed as we got.

A behind the scenes featurette about the remaster did indicate the 35mm mag source was used for the Throne Room music on ANH.

They also had shots of the ESB multitrack documentation but unclear if it was used in the set.

34 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Are the 97 Remasters better quality than what is on Itunes?

The 1997 sets have substantially more content. 

If you're looking at the score to Star Wars they're probably about equal in quality, I'd just stick with 1997.

If you're looking at the score to The Empire Strikes Back, they both suck

If you're looking at the score to Return of the Jedi, the 2018 sets (the ones on Itunes) are substantially better quality than the 1997 sets but have almost no music

• 7 months later...
On 05/07/2022 at 12:45 AM, artguy360 said:

Listening to the ROTS remastered OST, Enter Lord Vader sounds incredible. But then again, it always did. Such a badass track.

ANH is fine too, the real problem is with ESB, they tried to push the limits of the poor master too far.

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

ANH is fine too, the real problem is with ESB, they tried to push the limits of the poor master too far.

Yeah A New Hope is okay for the most part, the shift in top end during the Tie Fighter Attack is very strange and the panning is a little extreme. I know that Eric Tomlinson set the mics in an effort to give a very wide sound, however I think the Disney Releases have pushed it too far and it feels inconsistent.

I think many have mentioned the crazy reverb on The Asteroid Field, but the hyped top and bottom end (EQ, shelving) on most tracks [possibly most obvious on The Imperial March] is sounding like all those pop 'remasters' from the 90's.

It's been 5 years now since this release and it's still as dissapointing as they day it was released. 

Help us Mike M, you're our only hope! 

ESB is the worst sounding of the lot, but ROTJ gives me hope a future expansion might rectify that godawful sounding SE once and for all.

But considering it's been 5 years since these miserable releases, with no news of expansions in sight... well, it's hard to be optimistic.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

ESB is the worst sounding of the lot, but ROTJ gives me hope a future expansion might rectify that godawful sounding SE once and for all.

But considering it's been 5 years since these miserable releases, with no news of expansions in sight... well, it's hard to be optimistic.

Then again, since that time we've had the Solo Deluxe Edition, the Rogue One Expanded Edition, a bunch of old video games getting official OSTs (Battlefront (2015), Battlefront II (2017), Jedi Fallen Order, KOTOR II) and we've gotten multi volume releases for several Disney+ series at this point.

That's not to say that if expansions were to come out that they would necessarily meet expectations (certainly not if they're of a similar quality as the 2018 releases) - but I do think that if there is a barrier to them coming out it is certainly not Walt Disney Records

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

but I do think that if there is a barrier to them coming out it is certainly not Walt Disney Records

Perhaps the barrier is Williams seeing what they did wrong with their recent Legacy Collection releases and vetoing any attempt to do the same to SW.

PS: I'm kidding.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This ad makes me want to hear the remastered set but then I remember how much hated them.  Did they even listen to the final mix?  Or perhaps they need to bring in a musician next time and not just audio engineers.  I will say Star Wars sounds good in this ad.  

9 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Because one has no life, I synced the original Imperial March from the OST and put it on top of the Disney 2018 remaster. They are the same takes, however the timing is a little different and confirms a suspicion I had regarding the recording of the piece. 

So the audio phases up to the quiter section at around 0.47 (as you'd expect it to phase considering it's the same recording), but then the audio goes out of sync, you move it back and it does phase cancel again, but then at 1.37 it happens again. 

I think it's three different isolated recordings that were cut together, why else would different releases of the same mix have different timings that corrolate in those 3 places? 

Green = in sync. Orange = out of sync. 

image.png

Even where you say both were in sync, those wave forms look quite different!  They are timed correctly but details in the original are missing in the remaster but you can see compression was applied.  The Disney Remaster is louder int he green section right channel but both are quieter in the orange.  There are also timing issues.  What does this mean?  Different takes?

2 minutes ago, karelm said:

Even where you say both were in sync, those wave forms look quite different!  They are timed correctly but details in the original are missing in the remaster but you can see compression was applied.  The Disney Remaster is louder int he green section right channel but both are quieter in the orange.  There are also timing issues.  What does this mean?  Different takes?

The waveforms are different yes, but I promise they are the same recording. The big difference in the right channel I suspect is the hyped close mics of the basses. You can really hear it in the softer section, those low marcato stabs are almost like timpani's the way the bottom end has been hyped. There is definitely a considerable amount of compression on the Disney one yes. 

I'm saying it's different takes in both versions. The Disney one is only different in when those takes come in, they aren't different takes to the original, but they are definitely different mixes, without a doubt. 

51 minutes ago, Trope said:

At 2:11, the Dann Michael Thompson says, "You will hear things you didn't hear before." He is correct. I didn't hear the awkward edits, incorrect performance takes, poor phase alignment, drop-outs, and the absence of a right stereo channel in TESB before listening to these demasters.

He should also have said, "Things you did hear before you will never hear again," since Disney removed the far superior 2016 remasters from digital streaming services worldwide.

I'm sure they eventually realized their mistake but it was too late by then as the CDs were hitting the stores. Eventually, some one must have realized that they supposedly used the wrong master by mistake and not the finalized corrected version that Shawn Murphy had overseen.

"Oh well...we can fix this next time" There is always a next time. 

On 29/06/2022 at 2:09 AM, enderdrag64 said:

The 1997 sets have substantially more content. 

If you're looking at the score to Star Wars they're probably about equal in quality, I'd just stick with 1997.

If you're looking at the score to The Empire Strikes Back, they both suck

If you're looking at the score to Return of the Jedi, the 2018 sets (the ones on Itunes) are substantially better quality than the 1997 sets but have almost no music

ok my head hurts now

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Do you have any evidence for this statement?

To the best of my knowledge, there's zero indication what was released isn't exactly what everyone involved in those "remasters" intended and approved, Shawn Murphy included.

"Supposedly" I said.  And obviously no one would come forward and claim. Its such an embarrassing faux pax on their part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...