Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

1 minute ago, phbart said:

Listening to the prequels samples first should be considered a serious crime with capital punishment.

I actually started with the OT and worked my way down to the PT. Not sure about Crumbs though... :P

They weren't!! Just checked! And that's literally the first track I checked.

I have a cold and I'm listening over Bluetooth so not much point bothering with the OT samples (as much as I'm desperate to hear the SQ).

I am listening to all the samples available on that zdigital site in order, midway through ANH now.  The brass seems a bit off, but it could be my terrible computer speakers at work

Are we now furious that the idiots couldn't recreate the album properly or ecstatic that the geniuses gave us the drum versions in high quality?

First thing I did when I heard the extra percussion was compare the length of Anakin's Dark Deeds. Looks like the fanfare is still edited.

I never thought they'd deviate from the OST assembly but with the percussion, I thought there might be a small hope :P

The transition from "The Death Star" to "Tales of a Jedi Knight" on track 8 "Inner City" takes longer. I liked it too. :music:

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am listening to all the samples available on that zdigital site in order, midway through ANH now.  The brass seems a bit off, but it could be my terrible computer speakers at work

The iTunes samples are longer than the australians, Jay.

There's definitely much less hiss in this Star Wars '77 remaster.  Very noticeable when I went directly from the zdigital sample for "The Last Battle" to the same section of music in the Sony 16 version I have on my phone.

They've used the film take for Boys Into Battle. The more distinctive brass at 1:56 on the OST isn't there this time. Not a complaint and also not surprising since they've restored the percussion. Just an observation :) 

Listening lossy compressed samples on earbuds are definitely not the best way to judge the quality, but I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing so far. And I'm only at ANH yet. :)

Can we call it "the best it ever sounded so far"?

I think we can. Just imagine what Matessino will do once he's allowed to rampage to his heart's content with this material.

Listening lossy compressed samples on earbuds are definitely not the best way to judge the quality, but I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing so far. And I'm only at ANH yet. :)

Can we call it "the best it ever sounded so far"?

Based on what we have right now? Yes. Yes we can ;)

OMG! "The Last Battle" sample from iTunes is EXACTLY the portion I wanted to listen. How did they know what I wanted??? :P

Anyway, it was enough to conclude that the "Detention Block Ambush" portion is the film take, not the original album take. But it sounds glourious anyway. :music:

OMG! "The Last Battle" sample from iTunes is EXACTLY the portion I wanted to listen. How did they know what I wanted??? :P

Anyway, it was enough to conclude that the "Detention Block Ambush" portion is the film take, not the original album take. But it sounds glourious anyway. :music:

Which take was used on the SE?

You know what's even better than samples? Listening to the complete tracks on Apple Music. :)

Star Wars sounds fantastic on my headphones. Beautiful warmth to the mix, unlike the very dry and sharp SEs.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You know what's even better than samples? Listening to the complete tracks on Apple Music. :)

Star Wars sounds fantastic on my headphones. Beautiful warmth to the mix, unlike the very dry and sharp SEs.

Tell us the secret.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which take was used on the SE?

They recorded 5 takes of it, takes 150 to 154. Takes 153 and 154 were used, according to the booklet. Dunno what is the album take exactly.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

No secret, I just live in Australia and I'm able to listen to every track from every score through my Apple Music account.

I don't have such wealthiness. :(

Geez, there's a real clarity to AOTC that I've never heard before. A HUGE improvement on the hissy, muddy OST. Reminds me of the clarity jump from the TPM OST to UE.

Just goes to show the improvement to be gained from modern scans of old analogue masters.

Blown away by Chase Through Coroo-skont, there's detail in the recording I've never heard before. That electric guitar, holy shit! This is brilliant.

One side effect of this huge increase in sound quality though? The microedits are a lot more jarring -- these were much smoother in the older OSTs due to the muddier, flatter mix. The film insert of the Imperial March at the end isn't very nice at all.

15 minutes ago, phbart said:

I don't have such wealthiness. :(

Apple Music costs $9.99/month.

ROTJ sounds pretty great! What a shame there's only 45 minutes of it.

Save us, Mike Matessino. You're our only hope!

Indeed this is a great sign for a future, comprehensive complete release of these scores, without the audio issues of the SEs. At least I can sleep easy knowing the sessions are scanned in quality this good for perpetuity now.

On 5/3/2018 at 11:40 AM, Jay said:

Apple Music costs $9.99/month.

The content is not available where I live...

Anyway, I pre-ordered the CDs a long time ago.

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

One side effect of this huge increase in sound quality though? The microedits are a lot more jarring -- these were much smoother in the older OSTs due to the muddier, flatter mix. The film insert of the Imperial March at the end isn't very nice at all.

I'm not familiar with the work of Mark Willsher and Timeri Duplat, but if Disney ever hires Mike to do complete editions of these, he'll be able to make all those edits sound good.

The hissy flute from "The Wampa's Lair" portion of track 4 "The Heroics of Luke and Han" is gone, just like on the 93 Anthology. They're there on the original album mix and the 97 SE.

Edit.: I promise I won't do a track by track opinion comment, but just to mention that the string sections of "Hyperspace" is soooo much clear now, like it has never been. I'm having multiple mental orgasms right now.

I won't be able to listen until later but I'm mostly curious about ROTJ... if it sounds just as good as or better than the tracks on the ROTS bonus DVD.

I'll broke my promise, but this time to make a negative comment. "The Asteroid Field" is excessively reverbed. Why use reverb in the 18th year of the 21st Century???

7 minutes ago, phbart said:

I'll broke my promise, but this time to make a negative comment. "The Asteroid Field" is excessively reverbed. Why use reverb in the 18th year of the 21st Century???

Percussion also sounds a bit buried in there. What happened?

What is wrong with people to say this is fine, this'll go on the album?

And it's got to be one of my favourite cues of the whole saga. Still getting these if no more big problems like this are found, though, it's just one track.

Having gone through all the OT samples, my humble opinions:

-SW and RoTJ: no reservations whatsoever. Both sounds the best they ever did! Multiple orgasms with those!!!

-ESB is GENERALLY wonderful, but I have reservations with some tracks. Sounds like some big action sequences that requires a larger orchestra have some unnatural reverb, like "The Duel", "The Battle in the Snow" and "The Asteroid Field", with "Asteroid" being the worst case with excessive reverb and weak percussions. Why can't they sound like "The Imperial March" or "Hyperspace"? Those ones are blowing away any previously released versions in every sense! "City in the Clouds" has a sudden loud hissy moment, like a bad pasting job.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:40 AM, Amer said:

Screenshot_20180322-203445.png

I listened to Lapti Nek and Ewok Celebration. They don’t sound like the film mixes to me, unless I’m misunderstanding the meaning of film mixes.