Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

I think all the prequels CDs sounds better than the original releases. I bet they splitted the work at Skywalker Sound. Shawn Murphy worked on the prequels, which he recorded himself so he has more intimacy with it, and the trainees worked on the OT, beggining with ESB. Once Murphy heard the final ESB material, he slapped them on the wrist and told them they better get things right with SW and RoTJ since there was no time to correct ESB.

Where can one listen to this Asteroid Field mix by Shawn Murphy. I see people mentioning it is on the RotS DVD. The film, or some bonus disc that was included with the OST?

3 hours ago, phbart said:

"Luke's First Crash" (or "Beneath the AT-AT") portion from track 12 "Rebels at Bay" seems to follow the same screw up from "Asteroid Field" and "Battle in the Snow", with some kind of weird processing (noise reduction?) applied to the right channel but not on the left channel.

Sem_título.png

It's safe to assume that they didn't used the 24 track tapes for all cues on this release, even though they were supposed to have all the material used for the 2LP album (therefore, this release). Makes me wonder who well they were preserved from 1997 on...

This is the point I was trying to make earlier (though I mistakenly referenced Battle in the Snow rather than Rebels at Bay, as a track which contained multiple cues). So this indicates that only certain cues suffer from this issue, rather than entire tracks (comprised of multiple cues).

So this isn't necessarily a mastering issue of the final tracks but something that was screwed up very early in the scanning process with isolated cues. OR, the more grim possibility, some cues (Asteroid, Snow, Crash) couldn't be obtained from the same source as the others (the 24 track masters), and had to be sourced from a lesser quality tape (hence the shit quality that they've attempted to smooth over with excessive reverb).

I'm just really hoping for brazen incompetence at this point. The idea that some of the tapes have degraded beyond repair is unsettling.

Out of interest, is there any correlation between these cues and session dates. Were they all recorded on the same day (and thus likely recorded on the same tape)?

8 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Where can one listen to this Asteroid Field mix by Shawn Murphy. I see people mentioning it is on the RotS DVD. The film, or some bonus disc that was included with the OST?

It’s a bonus DVD included in some pressings of the ROTS soundtrack. It features highlights from “all” six scores in surround sound. Unfortunately, someone thought adding random dialogue and SFX would add to the experience. The only clean cue is The Forest Battle, save for some SFX at the very end.

Listening through Empire from start to finish for the first time, it's such a shame that most of these tracks sound fantastic!!

But then you get some absolutely bizarre audio issues like at 4:40 of The Heroics of Luke and Han. Like, what the hell is with that instant change in sound quality? It's like someone grabbed my speakers and dunked them underwater halfway through a note. And over the next 20 seconds the audio returns (mostly) to normal. Is this just a case of degraded elements?

Geez, Departure of Boba Fett sounds borderline mono for the first 40 seconds.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:22 AM, Stefancos said:

So are the Sony releases from not that long ago a better purchase?

Yes, but they were only released digitally and on vinyl; not on CD. 

I can't stand how KOTCS or Tintin sound, I can relate to exactly what @lemoncurd is describing.

Just as I can't stand TFA's very dry mixing but I adore TLJ's warmer, wetter mix. Go figure.

I teach how to mix Film Music (mainly orchestral mock ups), I'm going to be using these releases (particularly Empire Strikes Back) to show what NOT to do. I'm so deflated, I should have guessed that these would disappoint us, I was trying to be optimistic. 

I love the prequels they sound really good, looking forward to those being expanded, just hope it's MM. 

Yeah, I think the takeaway is that the Prequels sound really great, it's just the take choices and some bad editing that lets them down. The OT, particularly TESB and partly ROTJ, sound quite badly constructed.

I think they mixed the choir too loud in the mix in Anakin vs. Obi-wan during the choral statement of the Force Theme. :( Comparing the original, the theme is less defined because of the mix here.

There's also a jarring cut in the Battle Over Coruscant section. 

So is this release really a bust, or is this just us being us? Sounds like a missed opportunity at best.

@Jay, I read your entire exchange w/phbart. I have no idea what he was on about either.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm just really hoping for brazen incompetence at this point. The idea that some of the tapes have degraded beyond repair is unsettling.

Out of interest, is there any correlation between these cues and session dates. Were they all recorded on the same day (and thus likely recorded on the same tape)?

I believe that once the recording sessions are done and the editing process starts, they grab the takes (I was gonna say "they take the takes") selected by JW by physically cutting them out of the reel where all the takes are recorded and they put together another set of reels, which I think they call it the reel with the "goodies". So even if JW decided latter at the sessions to give another try at that cue and thought it was a good take, it would be part of that goodies reel all together. If that's indeed how it was done, then I think it wouldn't matter if all takes were recorded on different days. If it was one of the good takes selected by JW, it would be on the same reel.

And I share your feelings about how unsettling it is that a first generation material like a 24 track tape which was available (and used) not that long ago hasn't been again stored properly and has deteriorated beyond use with no digital backup made at any time.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

So this isn't necessarily a mastering issue of the final tracks but something that was screwed up very early in the scanning process with isolated cues. OR, the more grim possibility, some cues (Asteroid, Snow, Crash) couldn't be obtained from the same source as the others (the 24 track masters), and had to be sourced from a lesser quality tape (hence the shit quality that they've attempted to smooth over with excessive reverb).

This is the most important question in this thread so far.

One of the tracks that struck me the most with ROTS was Padme's Ruminations. On the original album, there's a decent amount of reverb being used, especially on the female singer. Here there is none; so there is this bizarre echo/delay effect being used on the singer that I never really noticed before. It just sounds strange to me personally.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, we know there are better masters for those lousy sounding tracks - the original album mix. Therefore, it's very likely a screwup.

But just in case that's all that remains, it might not be enough for good sounding releases of the full scores.

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But just in case that's all that remains, it might not be enough for good sounding releases of the full scores.

Of course, but for the OST releases there's no excuse.

I read all comments so far... I understand that the comparisons with the previously released material is deceiving...but.is it really the mess some describe? I listened to ANH, ESB and now TPM... I honestly have not listened to anything that bottered me.

One last thing, group, can you.prevent yourselves from commenting the sound quality of a recording if you use crappy headphones or speaker... even if you told us. :-)

I didn't take any issues with the prequels at all. They sound perfect to me (perhaps other than a few bad micro-edits, which I expected). The only OT film I've been able to sample so far is part of TESB, part of what sounded really good, and then cues like "The Asteroid Field" which clearly has some issues. I haven't had the time to listen to ROTJ yet, and ANH apparently isn't arriving in the mail until Tuesday for whatever reason.

I conceive that I'm not actually surounded by a landscape that will make me say anything negative about Star Wars today :-)

20180505_093247.jpg

30 minutes ago, voltisubito said:

Spectral comparison of the various releases of The Asteroid Field over the years:

Hide contents

JPv8GS3.png

uC4E4Au.png

1dLUgrC.png

GhQdHUZ.png

KOKAI87.png

There is clearly more compression between 1993 and 2018.  I generally prefer less compression in orchestral music of this style.  Compression during the mix/mastering stage means the floor of the volume will be raised so sometimes that can introduce hiss and ambient noises that were previously unnoticed.  Generally speaking, a skilled mixer will use a multi-band compressor so it doesn't just raise all frequencies the same way because that isn't how instruments get loud.  Some frequencies you might not want to raise as much as other frequencies.  I haven't yet listened to any of these yet because Spotify compresses (now talking about the audio fidelity, not the mastering compression) the audio so I don't consider that an audiophile experience and haven't decided if I'm going to get this since I've purchased these damn soundtracks for the umpteenth time every time they come out with a new and improved version only to find out it solves some problems and introduces some new ones.  I am still on the fence about these.

Am I crazy for preferring the Hoth Medley over the two separate cues (Battle in the Snow and The Heroics of Han and Leia)?

I prefer them like that too, but on gapless separate tracks.

Anyway, if a future expanded release will ever happen in this lifetime, we very likely won't have tracks longer than 10 minutes. MM said on the E.T. interview how administratively complicated they are.

19 minutes ago, phbart said:

Anyway, if a future expanded release will ever happen in this lifetime, we very likely won't have tracks longer than 10 minutes. MM said on the E.T. interview how administratively complicated they are.

What do you mean?

"Adventure on Earth” was one long 15-minute track on the 1982 album, and remained that way on the 1996 and 2002 CDs.  How did it come to be split into two tracks for the new edition?

A few reasons. Firstly, the mechanical rate goes up on a track that’s more than 10 minutes now. Publishers have gotten wise to labels dodging mechanicals by making their tracks long. Secondly, the cues were overlapped on the 2002 release and I didn’t want to risk getting asked to do that again if it came up. I could have argued that the cues were separated on the original album, but it seemed easiest, in light of the publishing issue, to circumvent the potential hiccup altogether by just making “The Departure” a separate track. Musically I think it’s something that is good to facilitate easy access to anyway, especially since there’s an alternate version of it on disc 2.

12 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

Obviously all of this is subjective.  For example, I really dislike both the sound and the playing on TFA, which was LA and SONY, compared to the LSO and Abbey Road.  That said, there are some definite highlights of these new mixes, but like any project where they rebuild something fundamentally new from something old, it's going to sound different, and that difference is jarring, wether it's better or worse.  

Sure, but there's a difference between a different soundscape and bad craftsmanship.

15 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

My guess is that Disney would have preferred to release proper complete versions of the scores, but that JW insisted on the original albums.  Disney and Lucasfilm seem to be going to great lengths to comply with his wishes after the music issues on Rogue One.  I wouldn't be surprised if, much like the original 3 films coming out after GL shuffles off this mortal coil, we'll see complete scores come out once JW has joined the choir eternal.  

I doubt JW altogether refused new complete releases. After all, the OT and TPM already had complete releases. But it's definitely a possibility that he wanted to prioritize the OST programs, but in the end it was Disney/Lucasfilm's call.

Crazy to think that relatively recent (and big!) scores like TPM and AOTC have such problems related to archiving. It really is the “it’s finished let’s move on” mentality. 

These are the kind of things I’d love to hear Williams’ insight on. Of course he’s very humble about his work, I’m sure he still wants everything preserved properly. He has his manuscripts and I’m sure JKMS has all his sketches and full scores digitized by now. 

Seeing as how JW is such a control freak in the best sense of the label, does he care about this stuff after the film is finished? Or is he even aware of things like TPM not being properly archived?