Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

Augie's might be the most different sounding of the lot.  Doesn't sound at all like the old album version

I would guess Murphy had ultra-clean synth recordings of all the different parts and just mixed them all together quickly.  It probably took a long time back in '99 to mix them all together to come out the way that album version did.  You can't just make something like that happen quickly, it takes a lot of work and a ear for details to recreate an existing mix like that one.

13 hours ago, phbart said:

So, the spectral view of the 192kHz/24bit of "Asteroid Field". I'd say it's... well, it looks like... hmm, I guess I can say it's... okay, I don't really know what foul-mouthed word I can use to describe this.

Sem_título.png

What the actual fuck? So what does this mean? These tapes weren't even scanned properly? Or someone just totally fucked up the mastering and cut off all the frequencies? If these were true high definition scans, they should not look like that!!!

We don't really know exactly what sources were newly transferred and what wasn't, or which parts of which releases are from new transfers vs old, etc.  And we're unlikely to ever get these answers.

But yea, I'm not really sure if the Asteroid Field issue is to do with an element problem, or with how they processed the element.

Has Asteroid Field (or any of the other botched tracks) ever been a problem a before?  I would think if the quality of the source was poor then they wouldn't use it and instead use a better sounding version.

Are most of us in agreeance that the 1997/2004 SE release of Empire is the worst-sounding OT soundtrack release? I keep seeing criticism about how badly SE ROTJ is muffled, but SE ESB downright sounds like a mono recording.

Is it plausible to say that the left channel came from one source and the right channel came from another source? If that is correct, it might explain what sounds like "reverb" to us, but in fact are 2 channels combined but not 100% synched.

I think they just translated the 3channel LCR master into 2channel stereo wrong, so instead of Left going to Left, Right going to Right and Center going to both (but the middle of the stereo field), they did something like sent the Center to the Left, the Left to the Right, and the Right to the center of the stereo field.

11 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

OK, this is awful. Sorry if I'm late to the party in bringing this up (?), but has anyone noticed the absolutely horrendous edit in the first track of ROTS? For comparison, here's the original mix (3:14 in both versions):

And here's the 2018 remaster:

Thank you for posting this - this is a great example of the improper editing on the new release.

For anyone who doesn't get it, listen to 3:11-3:19 of both videos back to back.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think they just translated the 3channel LCR master into 2channel stereo wrong, so instead of Left going to Left, Right going to Right and Center going to both (but the middle of the stereo field), they did something like sent the Center to the Left, the Left to the Right, and the Right to the center of the stereo field.

I believe MM said once that JW people asks to listen to the finished material for approval. I believe it was on Jaws he said that (not sure if it's on the booklet or the interview from JWFan). Anyway,  how did they approved that???

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

For anyone who doesn't get it, listen to 3:11-3:19 of both videos back to back.

Damn country-ist Youtube.

59 minutes ago, phbart said:

I believe MM said once that JW people asks to listen to the finished material for approval. I believe it was on Jaws he said that (not sure if it's on the booklet or the interview from JWFan). Anyway,  how did they approved that???

Straight OST albums reissues don't need to be sent to JW to be approved.  He never heard Sony's new remaster of Home Alone from 2015 either (but he did approve the LLL edition that was worked on simultaneously).  Ditto for the Geffen remaster of the Jaws LP in 2015, etc.

I should clarify, it is not just OST album reissues but any reissue where content doesn't change.  For example, after 1941 sold out and LLL reissued it a few years later, JW didn't have to approve it all over again.

57 minutes ago, Holko said:

Damn country-ist Youtube.

Well, the youtube videos don't matter; Just listen to 3:11-3:19 of "Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith" on the old OST and new OST remaster back to back.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, the youtube videos don't matter; Just listen to 3:11-3:19 of "Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith" on the old OST and new OST remaster back to back.

That's the thing: I'd prefer to listen to the "big" issues before deciding whether to get these, and I can't because I don't own either of them and Youtube won't let me view them.

Just now, Holko said:

That's the thing: I'd prefer to listen to the "big" issues before deciding whether to get these, and I can't because I don't own either of them and Youtube won't let me view them.

You can't make a free Spotify account?

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

You don't pay for any streaming music service at all?  They're on Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon Music Unlimited, Google Play, etc.

Actually, doesn't Google Play have a free option, it just plays a commercial in between every few songs?  That should work

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bsewky5cewz25ntqadztm6qhxd4

I'm not sure.  I've been paying for Spotify for... 5 years?  Something like that.

Too much effort for something I'll never use again :P

No, I don't use any streaming services and can't see myself regularly using one, I like my files on my hard drives where I can do whatever I want with them, thank you very much.

I may look into one of these free choices on the weekend when I have time.

This would be so much easier if Youtube didn't find me so worthless it doesn't even want ad revenue from my clicks just because I don't live in 'Muricah.

Well, it's not like I deleted my music files when I subscribed to Spotify lol.  It's not a replacement for your collection, just an easy way to check out new music you haven't bought yet.

1 hour ago, phbart said:

I believe MM said once that JW people asks to listen to the finished material for approval.

Then he should be tarred and feathered for approving TPM's Ultimate Edition.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

just an easy way to check out new music you haven't bought yet.

That's actually not a bad point at all. I never considered it before because this is the first time something I'm interested in is not up on Youtube (or not available to me in this case) or at the usual place (there's a ban on Fox-related materials). The specialty stuff I like most wouldn't be on these streaming services at all.

Yea, that's a huge portion of what I use it for - checking out all the new scores that come out by all the composers I like, or other scores I see recommended here (or elsewhere online).  Then I buy the CD if I like it.

I also use it to play pop/rock music frequently, like right now I'm at work and it is just playing a 300 song playlist of 90s alternative music I assembled on shuffle.

I would honestly just wait for the proper Matessino editions that are bound to happen at some point in the future.

If you're desperate to have his album configuration as a physical product on your shelf, I'd by this edition over the 90s CD.  

If you are cool with purchasing digital files, I'd probably just stick with the the 2016 Sony remasters for all the albums.

Has someone already thought of the idea that maybe MM and LLL are indeed working on the OSTs right now (and maybe the Prequels, too) and that Disney knew about this and just wanted to make quick money beforehand? So maybe Shawn Murphy was kind of trying to sabotaging it, in favor for the upcoming edition of MM. lol, just thinking. I'm very tired rn. ;-)

13 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

Has someone already thought of the idea that maybe MM and LLL are indeed working on the OSTs right now (and maybe the Prequels, too) and that Disney knew about this and just wanted to make quick money beforehand? So maybe Shawn Murphy was kind of trying to sabotaging it, in favor for the upcoming edition of MM. lol, just thinking. I'm very tired rn. ;-)

Disney owns these scores now and will release any future editions on their own label (Disney Records).  You'll never see these (or Indiana Jones) come out by a specialty label.  

But that does not mean Disney could not choose to hire Mike or Neil or anybody they wanted to oversee them.

oh yeah, true. Then it indeed doesn't make any sense. :(

Then again, in a time where big studios pay good money to create a viral marketing campaign about a fictional dinosaur protection group I think nothing has to make any sense as long as it makes money.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

So you're saying the original SW is safe to buy if I haven't got any previous version of it?

Karol

Stick with Spotify, if you have. The highest bitrate setup, "Extreme", even though it's lossy OGG file @ 320kbps aprox., makes the audio indistinguishable from lossless 44.1kHz/16bit and even 192kHz/24bit. No audible difference at all between the lossless 192 and the 44.1 versions too, and I spent some good hours yesterday comparing them on my Asus Xonar soundboard that handles 192kHz with perfection. Wait for a MM release if you are to spend money on Star Wars music again.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Then he should be tarred and feathered for approving TPM's Ultimate Edition.

Like Jay said, if it's material that has already been released before, then there's no need for them to review. And TPM UE is pretty much an isolated music track of the film with no new content added, isn't it?

At least we now pay for real new "re-masterings"... As they really seemed to have worked hard for offering us.... the unexpected :-) Ah Star Wars! Watch out the expanded sets that will come out of this!

As I only listened to the new sets on Spotify, with my cheap earbuds I can't really comment... at least it's different.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Disney owns these scores now and will release any future editions on their own label (Disney Records).  You'll never see these (or Indiana Jones) come out by a specialty label.  

Intrada is selling these on their site, and were vigorously advertising them last week. Would they count as a specialty label? I'm not that familiar with them.

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

Intrada is selling these on their site, and were vigorously advertising them last week. Would they count as a specialty label?

Interesting! They've handled Disney releases before and Mike Matessino has also produced albums with them, Jaws for example.

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Intrada is selling these on their site, and were vigorously advertising them last week. Would they count as a specialty label? I'm not that familiar with them.

Intrada is both a specialty label and a store. They sell film music on their site from a variety of labels. You can get any new score that comes out on physical CD through their store if you wanted. 

Music Box Records is the same way.

Then the other end of the spectrum is LLL and Varese, who only sell their own titles.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can get any new score that comes out on physical CD through their store if you wanted. 

And I really should do that more often, actually.  I find that their packaging of CDs, especially multiples, is generally more foolproof than some other online stores.

I think ANH has consistently sounded the best out of the trilogy on every release. A strange twist given that it was recorded for a predicted flop.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I think ANH has consistently sounded the best out of the trilogy on every release. A strange twist given that it was recorded for a predicted flop.

Yea, it's kinda funny! 

1 hour ago, phbart said:

And TPM UE is pretty much an isolated music track of the film with no new content added, isn't it?

With some OST tracks (Arrival at Tatooine etc.)

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, I did a lot of solo driving this weekend, so got to listen to all the remasters at full volume while not being distracted by anything else (other than driving of course).

So I haven't sat down on a computer and done any detailed analysis or comparison, and I probably won't.  But here are my thoughts after listening to them all.

Star Wars is probably the best of the bunch.  It mostly sounds fine, and the new edits are mostly not bad.  I mean, it's a very old score, recorded on a relatively small budget, performed by a smaller orchestra than all the remaining scores.  It is never going to sound as good as the others in many aspects.

The Empire Strikes Back is probably the worst of the bunch.  Everyone has been complaining about Asteroid Field (and for good reason) but for me the worst track is Battle in the Snow.  The opening grand piano bit is supposed to be this amazing moment that really grabs you and tells you shit's about to go down.. but on this edition, it sounds like the neighbor kid upstairs is plunking away on piano and you can hear it coming down through your ceiling.  The Asteroid Field sounds like someone is playing the old album through speakers at the opposite end of a large and empty concert hall.  The stereo field problems that affect a bunch of cues are really unlike anything I've heard come out as a professional release.  It is mindboggling this was released in this state.  Why didn't Patrica Sullivan tell them she can't master this in this condition, it needs to be fixed?

Return of the Jedi isn't that bad, probably because most of it was just pulled straight from the old album master.  It doe not sound as good as the original CD or 1993 release though.  The first track has a bad edit going from the Main Title into the first cue.  Into The Trap is lacking the awesome power it is supposed to have, something is off.

The Phantom Menace features a bunch of moments that take you out of your immersion into the album, because all of a sudden you're hearing new edits or new takes of things that you've been used to being another way for almost 20 years.  It mostly SOUNDS good though, and if the edits can be cleaned up by fans using the old release, we could have the definitive version of the album pretty quickly.  At the very least, I suppose fan edits can be enhanced with the new clarify available here.

Attack of the Clones - Man, I was assuming the hiss that plagued the OST album would be gone, but to me it sounded even more hissy than I remembered the OST originally sounding.  What happened her exactly?  I also noticed some synth bells towards the end of Return to Tatooine that I don't remember ever hearing before.  The Impoerial March insert in the final track was not integrated as smoothly as it was in 2002.  

Revenge of the Sith - This is the OST album, and prequel score in general, I'm the least familiar with, so I'd be the least equipped to discuss differences here.  I of course noticed the big booming taiko drums in the opening battle cue, which I thought sounded great! :lol:

Reading your comment about TESB, it makes me wonder if this is actually a phase issue.  If the audio is out of phase, the frequencies cancel each other out and you can get a strange limited width quality to your music.  It is possible to flip the phase with high end software and good audio sources and I wonder if that would suddenly "open" it up but what you are describing might in fact be as simple as the final master was incorrectly phased in a few tracks.

It's not just full tracks; sometimes when a track contains two cues in it, one cue is messed up and one is normal. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's not just full tracks; sometimes when a track contains two cues in it, one cue is messed up and one is normal. 

That indicates the issue happened much earlier in the process, before they actually assembled the music and edited it into OST form. Perhaps an entire tape was scanned incorrectly, and all these bad sounding cues were on that tape?

The spectrogram of Asteroid Field is the most revealing aspect of this. No frequencies at all above 60? Bizarre. 

6 hours ago, phbart said:

Like Jay said, if it's material that has already been released before, then there's no need for them to review. And TPM UE is pretty much an isolated music track of the film with no new content added, isn't it?

That goes for pretty much every expanded release, there is hardly 'new content added' besides the score proper. Especially if it IS the isolated music track that would have been even more reason to veto it. But it's semantical straw-grasping, that thing should have never passed QC.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Star Wars is .... performed by a smaller orchestra than all the remaining scores.  It is never going to sound as good as the others in many aspects.

A smaller London Symphony orchestra?