Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

"Nothing's more Star Wars than brass triplets, right? I'll make sure I do it again and again to let people know they're listening to Star Wars!"

I still don't understand what the problem is. What are brass triplets, anyway?

14 hours ago, elvisjones said:

Here's another example:  Air Force One.  According to this article:  http://articles.latimes.com/1997/jul/15/entertainment/ca-12822, Randy Newman was fired from the film on June 1.  The film came out on July 25, approx 7 weeks later.  If you figure in time to mix the film, create the prints and ship them to theaters, that probably gives Jerry Goldsmith about 4 weeks to score that movie.  I will concede though that it is not a classic on the scale of a JW Star Wars score, and also that Jerry had help from son Joel.

Different Joel. ;)

So @elvisjones you'll concede it took Jerry Goldsmith four weeks with help, but Giacchino had four weeks and therefore should've come up with something better? Don't you see how absurd that sounds, I mean sorry to beat a dead horse here, but Giacchino never had any chance of pulling any punches from the beginning. We can all agree Giacchino just doesn't have the chops the heavyweights do, so why rag on him?

So after some back and forth, and reading general thoughts, I bought the original Star Wars one for £5 (well it's £5.99 but included in 2 for £10 deal). Wanted to add the album to my physical collection because of its historical significance to Wiliams' career.

I want to add that I've never actually heard this programme before today, other than some quick flicking through tracks on Spotify some time ago. All I ever knew was the 1997 RCA album. So it is a bit of a strange experience but a very enjoyable one. It flows nicely as pure musicf from one track to another, even if narratively it makes little sense sometimes. And yeah, it definitely sounds better than the RCA, even to my layman ears.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So after some back and forth, and reading general thoughts, I bought the original Star Wars one for £5 (well it's £5.99 but included in 2 for £10 deal). Wanted to add the album to my physical collection because of its historical significance to Wiliams'

Hey YOU CAN'T just buy the first one!

You'll create a imbalance in the Force (and the CD stocks)!!!

:sarcasm:

Well, I'll see that in few minutes, I have the impression of encoding WAVs since yesterday... my mailbox was full when I got home!

I think I have to start with The Asteroid Field if I remember the posts of the last week....

Can I have a quick Top-5 of the worst??? :P

____

ok quickly like this... The Asteroid Fields.

Ok, you have to understand what "remix" means.

They clearly improved the stereo width... is it only what people don't like??? because it is not EXACTLY as it was before???

Of course it's not the same. They remixed it!

BTW at the begining, I clearly hear that the tape is old, as there is some micro drop-outs. That's life... analogue tapes are not eternal.

I'm used to remix like that in pop and Rock (not in the case of Music Film I have to say). They remix, they remix. Those days, the mixes use a larger stereo width, it's like that. In Stereo we "mean" that the instruments and orchestral parts are placed differently in the stereo width. Last week I found very strange that some users here analyzed the left and right channels that way... IT'S DIFFERENT, THEY RE-MI-XED-IT!

Some parts are now clearer, some blend and we hear them less... THAT'S A REMIX.

What's wrong doing it with Star Wars???

Is it a capital sin or what?

I don't see anything wrong with this track.  It's remixed, I paid for that.

I think some users here were just not prepared for this amount of change... it's not the Bible, geez...

So basically these cd aren’t worth buying and Williams is a massive dick when it comes to Star Wars?

On 5/13/2018 at 1:09 PM, Holko said:

The remix is messed up, that's the problem.

The reverb is not good and unnecessary.

The sound is muffled at some parts.

And the problem with the stereo is not that it's wider, it's that it's very left-heavy, it's not left and center and right, but left and (center-right). At times, it's physically painful to listen to with headphones.

The fact is that you wanted that it sounds like the previous releases.

It can't.

Get over it group!

___

I love the new mix of Augie's Great municipal band.

It's exactly what I was waiting for that kind of remastered edition. 

They lowered the awefull volume of the synth, the percussions are now more present, it sounds more like a kind of tribal street fest. Very good!

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It can't.

Well fuck me for expecting it to sound listenable after Murphy already did it wonderfully in 2005.

It's different, but not at all in a good way.

Augie's is definitely an interesting mix but very distracting when the whole orchestra pops in, like you immediately went from an ear-numbing center mono to surround.

I would love to hear commentary made by real experts, like Mike Matessino about this release. He surely would have remixed those tapes differently. A remix is an editorial, it's subjective.  Ask two people to remix the same track, you'll probably have two different results.

Unfortunately, some users, some little "experts" sound engineers of their basement here... well they lost a lot of credibility in the last few days.

:nod:

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

Augie's is definitely an interesting mix but very distracting when the whole orchestra pops in, like you immediately went from an ear-numbing center mono to surround.

Unlearn what you have learned young padawan.

What, do a Van Gogh and cut off my ears?

And yes, the percussion is more pronounced but at the cost of a lot of the main elements being almost lost in the mix.

And it's funny, but as I discover these new Star Wars, I just bought the 2005 complete boxset of Joe Dassin... that was remixed from the multitrack tapes too.  Some tracks that always were in mono are now in stereo, some instruments are more clearer, some are muted.  That's remixes, it's wonderfull!  The percussions are more clearer. It's almost like re-discovering tunes what we know by heart since 40 years!

I love that.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Are you doing this only to be a contrarian?

I'm always pleased on this forum to offer another "vision", another point of view on things. This forum needs balance sometimes... ;)

@Disco Stu I'm happy you can't hear me, because I have laught very loudly and not so very graciously!!!

The sound, the new edits... that's irrelevant. Let's go to the point.

Were "new" alternate cues detected?

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

They lowered the awefull volume of the synth, the percussions are now more present, it sounds more like a kind of tribal street fest. Very good!

You just want the Ewok celebration music. :P

Listening to Empire. Oh dear, some of it seems to be more detailed, some of it sounds like it's being played underwater. Such a shame. I always wanted this album on CD.

Karol

1 hour ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The Sony reissues of the OT OSTs are fantastic. The prequels are fun here because we've never gotten new remasters/remixes aside from the TPM UE. I like them.

Listening to Attack of the Clones now, the prequels are really good overall. 

However has anyone heard this terrible cross fade that is phasing that badly its cutting the trombones out?

Attack of the Clones - Track 12: Love Pledge and The Arena (5.46) 

Wow that is an abysmally bad crossfade. As someone who’s edited music on an amateur basis, that is just deeply sloppy work. There’s really no defense for that. That’s not remixing. That’s being fucking lazy and inept

1 minute ago, Taikomochi said:

Wow that is an abysmally bad crossfade. As someone whose edited music on an amateur basis, that is just deeply sloppy work. There’s really no defense for that. That’s not remixing. That’s being fucking lazy and inept

Agreed, it's embarrassing. 

20 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Hell even I can do a lot better job than whoever edited this set.

Interesting, I was about to ask if some of you ladies & gents have attempted your own brew of remastering on some of these OSTs, considering no version is really satisfactory particularly in the case of ESB and ROTJ. I don't mean splicing/editing together, but sound tweaking. I did, to some extent, using the '97 versions as basis, results can be interesting. ESB ended up sounding less boxy and dry, with more body and low end while keeping the clarity, and ROTJ has been somewhat de-muffled.

On 5/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, Bespin said:

It can't.

Get over it group!

Just compare The Imperial March and The Asteroid Field on the new ESB release and you will hear that something went horribly wrong with the latter. It sounds like you're drunk.

Overall, I'm mostly happy with the OT releases after one listen each, except for some seriously messed up tracks. Nevertheless, I hope new complete releases will be out before I have to consider getting used to these album arrangements.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Just compare The Imperial March and The Asteroid Field on the new ESB release and you will hear that something went horribly wrong with the latter. It sounds like you're drunk.

I understand what you say. I compared the versions too, yes it's very different and the comparison of the two versions give a little dizzy effects, I agree with you.

But I'm not ready to put those remasterings to the bin. Listen to the most recent recordings (like Williams/Spielberg collab part III), the stereo is wide too, the instruments are well defined in the space.

For the old Star Wars we started far far away... confess it... the original mixes were quite narrow. When we compare the two versions, it's almost like if we passed from mono to stereo.

I have now to compare the Jawa music track from ANH.... it sounds very different to me... first of all compared to the 2016 version, there's a good 1 % of speed difference. 

____

The Little People work.

It's an alternate cue or they corrected the sync of some passages (this track always was a BIG tiered cake).

Listen by example to the flute solo at 3:05.

It was out of sync on the 2016 version, now it's corrected.  Hard to say if it's an alternate or of they just resynced it. Well it's better now.

Of course, talking about this is far less interresting than talking about covers and "sound quality"... I know.

On 05/05/2018 at 12:40 AM, crumbs said:

Listening through Empire from start to finish for the first time, it's such a shame that most of these tracks sound fantastic!!

But then you get some absolutely bizarre audio issues like at 4:40 of The Heroics of Luke and Han. Like, what the hell is with that instant change in sound quality? It's like someone grabbed my speakers and dunked them underwater halfway through a note. And over the next 20 seconds the audio returns (mostly) to normal. Is this just a case of degraded elements?

Ok, they really messed up with this one, I bet the tapes are ruined. OMG.

They should just make a fresh recording of the OT complete scores at this point. There are plenty of orchestras playing them with all the live to projection concerts going on... 

5 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Listening to Attack of the Clones now, the prequels are really good overall. 

However has anyone heard this terrible cross fade that is phasing that badly its cutting the trombones out?

Attack of the Clones - Track 12: Love Pledge and The Arena (5.46) 

I didn't even hear that before. How? Does? This? Happen?

Is there yet have a comprehensive list of all the bad edits and where they occur? 

10 hours ago, Drew said:

Is there yet have a comprehensive list of all the bad edits and where they occur? 

Yes, I'm curious to see a list as well.  I'm sure there's a few I've missed...

Listening to Sith right now. Sounds awesome to me. I don't know what you all are going on about aside from clunky edits. These scores really come alive, finally. The original OSTs were muddy.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

If you dunk your head in your toilet bowl and listen to ESB, every track sounds as good as The Asteroid Field!

Make sure to destroy your right ear, it's useless anyway.