Jump to content

Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)


Recommended Posts

I hope a future definitive release of Raiders has the entire film score from Tomlinson's mixes AND the entirety of what John Neal remixed in the same package.  IE, not just a replication of the final OST LP, but if he remixed entire cues before editing them down for the final LP, give us the unedited cues too

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Phantom Menace arrived today. I've only had a chance to briefly A/B the first two tracks (Main Title/The Arrival at Naboo and Duel of the Fates) against the 1999 release, but my first impressions

Well it sounds fantastic so I don't care about the process.  It's a little hot and bass heavy, but the seperation is cleaner, like the old audiophile bootleg version that is less brightened.  What wizardy is all of this?  Why was this updated on SW day?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 5/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, Alan said:

I have a small, foolish glimmer of hope that we might get or hear something about a new release on Monday. It's the day the TROS goes on to Disney+ completing the saga, Clone Wars finishes and The Mandaorian gets its 8-part documentary. Maybe they have something up their sleeves for the music? A fools hope, but a hope nonetheless.

 

May the 4th 2020 has come and gone... This is all fantastic, and yet...

still no word yet on remastered and expanded (definitive) releases of the Maestro's scores...

:kaboom::banghead:

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact Disney is pushing the remastered OSTs now means that any expanded release has been delayed by another few years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The fact Disney is pushing the remastered OSTs now means that any expanded release has been delayed by another few years. 

 

I think they're just running low on new content so they're pushing out whatever's sitting in their archives.

 

This video was probably produced 2 years ago back when they released the sets, they've just slapped a 2020 copyright at the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crumbs said:

 

I think they're just running low on new content so they're pushing out whatever's sitting in their archives.

 

This video was probably produced 2 years ago back when they released the sets, they've just slapped a 2020 copyright at the end.

Right, I remember back when we first heard that these were coming out, somebody saying he shot footage on the transferring of everything or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Just the Disney remastered OSTs which are suddenly being plugged by Disney after all this time with behind the scenes footage showing the digitized sessions. Saved you a click.

 

 

 

 

Thanks, I meant Fal's link though, which seems to be audio-only music tracks. I thought maybe the audio had been tweaked yet again... I wouldn't trust myself to be able to tell what had changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Thanks, I meant Fal's link though, which seems to be audio-only music tracks. I thought maybe the audio had been tweaked yet again... I wouldn't trust myself to be able to tell what had changed.


I took @Fal J. M. Skywalker's "Eh?" comment to be in reference to the "NPDT" process that was applied to the track by the YouTube user.  See my post above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've actually listened to these remastered versions of the OT for the first time. I've been pretty vocal here about my enjoyment of the PT and the more aggressive punchy de-muddied Episodes II and III, which rock.

 

Judging from all the criticism of the originals, I expected them to sound like the Orlando Pops. They weren't perfect, but at times, kind of awesome. I have to say, the Imperial March has never sounded this good in any release. It's great, actually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I've actually listened to these remastered versions of the OT for the first time. I've been pretty vocal here about my enjoyment of the PT and the more aggressive punchy de-muddied Episodes II and III, which rock.

 

Judging from all the criticism of the originals, I expected them to sound like the Orlando Pops. They weren't perfect, but at times, kind of awesome. I have to say, the Imperial March has never sounded this good in any release. It's great, actually. 

 

The thing is that some tracks sound phenomenal, while others sound pretty bad. The botched mastering only seems to affect one channel though; for instance if you listen to the right(?) channel of "The Asteroid Field", it sounds just fine. The left channel on the other hand has a very noticable frequency cutoff, way too much bass, and way too much reverb, making it feel like you're listening to two completely different pieces of music in each ear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clunky edits don't bother me. They've been there since the original analog JW albums. It adds to the charm.

 

 

On 5/18/2020 at 5:08 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

The thing is that some tracks sound phenomenal, while others sound pretty bad. The botched mastering only seems to affect one channel though; for instance if you listen to the right(?) channel of "The Asteroid Field", it sounds just fine. The left channel on the other hand has a very noticable frequency cutoff, way too much bass, and way too much reverb, making it feel like you're listening to two completely different pieces of music in each ear.

 

That was my issue with ESB. It constantly seems like everything is mixed in the left channel and the right channel is quiet. What the hell?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Clunky edits don't bother me. They've been there since the original analog JW albums. It adds to the charm.


Even when it’s added, not on the original album?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The new edits can be a bit sloppy, but it's like a happy accident that connects them more with the OT albums. I understand the other point of view, but I'm obviously unbothered.

 

A sloppy edit that lasts half a second isn't offensive as how the majority of the ESB album seems to be mixed primarily in the left channel. Was Empire a mono recording or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tydirium said:

I still can't get over this awful fade-out at 3:14:

 

 

What were they thinking?? The original 2005 release is seamless, but this sounds so unnatural.

 

That'd be because they used the final film mixes. You'd have had the snare drum bleeding through if they'd faded it as it was there. They tried to avoid that, and thus you get that jarring edit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unclear what versions or mixes they used, though. Anakin's Dark Deeds for instance doesn't follow the film mix at all, even if I absolutely love the added drums to the Palpatine section which give those brass exclamations some extra oomph.

 

It seems they went through the trouble to recreate the album versions when they could've dropped the whole thing as an expanded set! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It's unclear what versions or mixes they used, though. Anakin's Dark Deeds for instance doesn't follow the film mix at all, even if I absolutely love the added drums to the Palpatine section which give those brass exclamations some extra oomph.

 

It's the term they used for these mixes, IIRC. To put it more lengthily, yet probably more accurate, these are largely the exact same mixes they used to use in the LucasArts era of video games - at least as far as ROTS goes. The only exception, I believe, is Enter Lord Vader, which actually appears to just be the OST version (right down to the microedit timing). Odd that they'd care about using the OST version there when they didn't for the other tracks...

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It's unclear what versions or mixes they used, though. Anakin's Dark Deeds for instance doesn't follow the film mix at all, even if I absolutely love the added drums to the Palpatine section which give those brass exclamations some extra oomph.

 

It seems they went through the trouble to recreate the album versions when they could've dropped the whole thing as an expanded set! 

Well, it's obviously not going to include tracked music.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I re-listened to AOTC a few days back. Gotta say this assembly really impresses me. Not sure if they assigned their more talented editors to this release but I really couldn't fault anything about that release, except a few undercooked microedits that weren't handled as smoothly as the original OST edits.

 

No doubt the sound quality is miles above the OST though, though mixed a bit too sharp. Would like that pulled back to something less hot for expansions, if they ever happen (I've given up waiting).

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

No doubt the sound quality is miles above the OST though, though mixed a bit too sharp. Would like that pulled back to something less hot for expansions, if they ever happen (I've given up waiting).

 

That's what we get when the task is assigned to old people with limited hearing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Who is "John Williams"?

 

No idea. Maybe he wrote the songs in the film??

 

Came from a comment I made on Facebook on an advert for the Remasters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What we really need is someone from Sony Music to verify their identity and post it on Twitter...

 

Seriously though, who is that person? Is there more info on their profile? They might be some hapless intern at Disney Music for all we know (John Williams isn't exactly an uncommon name)?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all the information I can see.

 

It's clearly the real deal. He even has album covers as his cover photo!

 

 

Screenshot_20200520-162822__01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder who his friends are. Conrad Pope and William Ross?

 

I can't see. A man of Williams' status needs to keep things locked down I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again Disney delivers subpar trash quality soundtrack like they were recorded on a potato. Its 2020. 40 years since the release of The Empire Strikes Back and we still haven't got proper movie version of Imperial March released...On the other hand its quite possible that the Album version of the Imperial March is the same as the movie one but someone remixed it so badly that it lost all the cymbals, much of horns and other instruments that it sounds like an entirely different version... Also where is my Duel of the Fates but with Revenge of the Sith choir??? Disney is the worst company of all times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 5/4/2020 at 6:44 PM, Jay said:

I hope a future definitive release of Raiders has the entire film score from Tomlinson's mixes AND the entirety of what John Neal remixed in the same package.  IE, not just a replication of the final OST LP, but if he remixed entire cues before editing them down for the final LP, give us the unedited cues too

I had no idea John Neal had actually mixed the entire score before locking the program to the single Lp release we know of today. The Concord release of RAIDERS does show case the John Neal mixes on some cues such as Map Room is and the edited Desert Chase. (I think) I wonder if Shawn Murphy used Neal's mixes altogether.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Amer said:

I had no idea John Neal had actually mixed the entire score before locking the program to the single Lp release we know of today.

 

I never said he remixed the entire score. I speculated that maybe he remixed the entire cues that were represented on the OST, rather than just the sections of those cues that were on the OST

 

Quote

The Concord release of RAIDERS does show case the John Neal mixes on some cues such as Map Room is and the edited Desert Chase. (I think) I wonder if Shawn Murphy used Neal's mixes altogether.. 

 

Shawn Murphy had nothing to do with the 2008 Concord boxset, that was a Laurent Bouzereau production 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:

 

I never said he remixed the entire score. I speculated that maybe he remixed the entire cues that were represented on the OST, rather than just the sections of those cues that were on the OST

 

 

Shawn Murphy had nothing to do with the 2008 Concord boxset, that was a Laurent Bouzereau production 

Then why is Shawn mentioned as the Soundtrack Reissue Engineer??? I know Bouzereau is the executive producer of this set. Also both Eric Tomlinson and John Neal are clearly mentioned as to their roles in the original recordings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha!  I had looked in the booklet that was in the overall box set, which doesn't mention him at all; I see how he's mentioned on the booklet inside the Raiders digipak only.  My apologies!

 

I have no idea if it would have been Murphy or Bouzereau who would decide which version of each cue to use >shrug<

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...