Remasters of the First 6 Star Wars Soundtracks now available (Shawn Murphy / Disney Records 2018)

Breadstick Basilisk

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Part of me is thinking they might just abandon CD's altogether at this point though and just dump them all digitally, in which case the amount of discs wouldn't matter (perhaps even leading to more music being released?)

A huge 20+ CD box set would also give Disney an excuse to charge big bucks for it, putting off perhaps more casual fans, and those who didn't need all 9 scores. Makes much more sense to me to just do digital sets, focusing on the best presentation and some nice cover art, and not worrying about disc capacities, boxes that fall apart during shipping and scratched CDs.

9 minutes ago, Gibster said:

That would be north of 20 vinyls so unlikely but would guarantee digital

If my estimate of 22-25 discs is correct, that'd be equal to a whopping 44-50 LP vinyl set. Which, using Mondo's pricing model, would be about $937.50 + shipping/tax. :lol:

22 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If my estimate of 22-25 discs is correct, that'd be equal to a whopping 44-50 LP vinyl set. Which, using Mondo's pricing model, would be about $937.50 + shipping/tax. :lol:

So you're saying it might be a bit of a big box set :lol:

Sorry this may have been mentioned in this thread before, but 45 pages is a lot to scroll through to try to find this, do we know what tapes were used as sources for each of the three original trilogy remasters?

17 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Sorry this may have been mentioned in this thread before, but 45 pages is a lot to scroll through to try to find this, do we know what tapes were used as sources for each of the three original trilogy remasters?

"Best available" was about as detailed as we got.

A behind the scenes featurette about the remaster did indicate the 35mm mag source was used for the Throne Room music on ANH.

They also had shots of the ESB multitrack documentation but unclear if it was used in the set.

Yes and no.

Star Wars's scores are cursed.

34 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Are the 97 Remasters better quality than what is on Itunes?

The 1997 sets have substantially more content. 

If you're looking at the score to Star Wars they're probably about equal in quality, I'd just stick with 1997.

If you're looking at the score to The Empire Strikes Back, they both suck

If you're looking at the score to Return of the Jedi, the 2018 sets (the ones on Itunes) are substantially better quality than the 1997 sets but have almost no music