Original 3 Star Wars OST Albums Coming to CD November 10 from Disney Records

The Dark Trilogy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that looks like a basic OST reissue, as they already had freshly remastered, digitised copies of those sitting on a hard drive.

Not so easy to do the complete scores (and Disney seem reluctant to reuse the SE masters for anything, considering they're two decades old!)

I bet it's identical to Sony's digital versions from 2015, but in CD resolution. I'll pass.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:27 AM, crumbs said:

(and Disney seem reluctant to reuse the SE masters for anything, considering they're two decades old!)

Not only decades old, but also unsuitable for today's standard for quality restorations. If Disney is indeed keeping Matessino involved in the conversations about the OT music future releases, like he said they were, I'm pretty sure he's being very vocal about the need to revisit the complete presentations, and for now, just to satiate our thirst a little, while the focus is on the new films, it's better to just put remastered OSTs first.

I'm still baffled how they could release Empire and Jedi in that state. If they put them out yearly, starting in 97, they would've had much more time to work on each of them instead of rushing them out, while also gradually building the hype towards PM in 99 instead of blowing their whole load immediately.

They are the original OSTs again. They are coming out on vinyl by Disney as well.

At least we'll get the 2LP OST of Empire on physical CD for the first time.

And @ckappes, the plural of CD is CDs, not CD's.

I can't keep track. For the OT I have the Anthology & the original RCA SE releases.  

Wasn't there a big LP/CD/Digital release 2-3 years ago?  Did those have any better sound? A Jedi that doesn't sound like it was recorded in a truck stop toilet?

I love the old programs of the original albums, but what we need now is a "re-construction" of them.

I can't stand The bad edit in the Main Theme anymore. Stop releasing that crap again and again, please...

Pretty much everything was reduced from the Tomlinson's original mix to the Neal's remix. And they said it was to better suit the home audio gear from that time. Cmon, I've heard 1950's LPs sounding much better than this.

30 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

again? for god's sake

These scores are for those who remember....and those who will never forget. And those who will be experiencing them for the very first time.

John Williams classic scores in their original soundtrack arrangment.

One.

Last.

Time.*

*until the next time

Well, to be fair, how many times was the original soundtrack program released (so, not counting the expanded releases and many rereleases of the complete scores)?

There was the original CD/LP release (that has been out of print for years), and then... the LP/digital (but no CD) release by Sony last year, and that's it, no?

I've bought this so many times I cannot keep track anymore. Did I buy the digital release from two years ago? I think so. Why did I? What was the hoopla about back then? Did it have the remasters of the prequel trilogy? Was it the original OST to Empire? I'm not sure. I cannot remember.

I got the big box set last year. I think it was last year anyway. 

Rogue One is the only one I don’t have on vinyl and I’m not sure I want to give that score money twice. 

Yeah it was about a year ago. I was going to get it, but didn't have the money. By the time I did people were selling it for like $200+ on eBay. I already have the OT ones, so I'd rather get the PT ones separate.

These are on the US version of Amazon now too.  Same Friday, November 10th release date, no additional info

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VNP551

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VNX66B

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VNJCQ2

$14.98 each.

45 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

Wonder if it's just the special editions with new trilogy style artwork. 

They're listed as 1 disc, and in a price range way too generous for the 2 disc SEs.