Will you get the newly remastered Star Wars soundtracks?

Josh500

Will you get the newly remastered Star Wars soundtracks?   

74 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the newly remastered Star Wars soundtracks?

Easy question. Will you get these when they come out on May 4?

I for one will DEFINITELY get them, just for the improved sound quality! :lol::lsvader:

sw2018.JPG.c9a9ca23d2ae50bdaf4e9e202fd6f0ed.JPG

I will wait.

I can listen to these album remasters on Spotify if I want to.  I have no reason to purchase physical copies..

Easy pass for me. There's just too much music missing. If any, I may pick up TPM because I think the OST has a few short bits of music that aren't anywhere else. I seem to recall a solo voice during one of the bad guy tracks.

Unreleased music is my main motivator to buy scores again, so I'll pass. If only the prequel releases had some unreleased tracks... Alas.

I hardly ever buy physical CDs anymore. I download the songs that I want. John Williams (and Jerry Goldsmith) are the only exceptions.

So yeah, I will get these just for (a) the improved sound quality, and (b) their value as collector's items.

Maybe. It depends if the remastering of ANH and ESB sound any better than the awful versions that are on Spotify, if ROTJ is remastered at all, and if the prequels are remastered at all. I don't really see a reason to remaster the prequel scores in the first place, given that they are some of the finest soundtrack recordings and mixings ever.

Nah they can get fucked. Put the effort in and remaster these scores with the effort they deserve, not just another half baked reissue of an existing product.

Companies shouldn't be rewarded for this type of behaviour, or else nothing will ever change.

Where's the logic in releasing two OSTs that are full length, plus a third that's only half the length of the other 2?

Bet they charge the same price despite only including half the music!

Another obsolete relic from over 3 decades ago that is laughably archaic in 2018.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

No, I will not.

I'll wait for Matessino editions of the complete scores.

Ditto.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

No, I will not.

I'll wait for Matessino editions of the complete scores.

As will I.

Dumb question time: are they just pulling the album masters for this? Or reconstructing these from the sessions? I think it's going to be the former - this is quite clearly a cash grab and they wouldn't want to put in that kind of effort.

Did you even try and read the announcements or the discussions for this? Yes, as far as we know, every piece of music ever recorded for the Star Wars movies has been rescanned, and the OSTs rebuilt from scratch.

11 hours ago, John said:

I will purchase all six, then subsequently burn them in a bonfire as a symbol of my frustration against Disney for not bothering to release the complete scores anytime soon.

You should play The Immolation Scene in the background while doing it.

I might buy ESB, but I will save my money for the expanded sets when they come. 

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

You should play The Immolation Scene in the background while doing it.

On the original release or the remastered? 😉

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

On the original release or the remastered? 😉

The original of course. The remastered is in the bonfire, remember.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You forgot a choice in your poll: maybe.

I deliberately didn't include maybe.

You gotta know whether you want these or not, whether you will get these or not.

I hate wishy-washy uncertain people who always say "maybe".... ;)

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

The original of course. The remastered is in the bonfire, remember.

Not if you ripped it to FLAC first!

I don't own the original trilogy osts, but there's no point in getting them since I have the expansions (although Jedi doesn't include the original Ewok celebration)

By the way, I own this Colosseum CVS 5353  which I thought it was the OST, but apparently is a rerecording!

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/9106/Star+Wars%3A+Episode+V+-+The+Empire+Strikes+Back

How ever did you miss that it is a re-recording? It literally says Symphonic Suite From The Original Motion Picture Score performed by The National Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Charles Gerhardt on the cover.

I'm getting the feeling that many people here don't truly appreciate the Star Wars soundtracks.... But Focus only on the negative. Sure, it's frustrating that the complete editions aren't released yet, I understand that. It's frustrating for me too!

But these aren't just straight re-releases, but remastered releases with improved sound quality. I'm excited and happy just because of that. 

The Star Wars scores are works of art. I'm grateful for anything that helps me appreciate them more.

It isn't a matter of appreciation, it's just the idea that these sets weren't any form of long-term investment, they're something to fill out the market. Look how amazing and positively marketed and received the LLL Williams expansions have been and wonder how so much more positive and resounding it would be to have the same treatment for Star Wars, scores that are more iconic than any of the other expanded scores. Not repackages or remasters, full-blooded expanded sets that celebrate the music as it was and should be.  

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I'm getting the feeling that many people here don't truly appreciate the Star Wars soundtracks.... But Focus only on the negative. Sure, it's frustrating that the complete editions aren't released yet, I understand that. It's frustrating for me too!

But these aren't just straight re-releases, but remastered releases with improved sound quality. I'm excited and happy just because of that. 

The Star Wars scores are works of art. I'm grateful for anything that helps me appreciate them more.

I am certainly not shelling out cash to buy this music again on OST programmes when I already have the expanded versions and prefer them anyway over the shorter albums. I highly doubt that the soundquality alone could convince me otherwise.

Plus this stuff was just released by Sony not long ago so it just feels redundant, more so for the Prequels whose OST albums have been available all this time.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Plus this stuff was just released by Sony not long ago....

Also for the prequels? Which releases are these? But these were straight rereleases, with no change as to content / quality whatsoever, weren't they?

This one's slightly different. 

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

I highly doubt that the soundquality alone could convince me otherwise.

Plus this stuff was just released by Sony not long ago so it just feels redundant, more so for the Prequels whose OST albums have been available all this time.

Take a famous classical music piece, from say Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Chopin etc.

Real fans, admirers, lovers of these works of art buy them over and over again, appreciating them, listening to them all their lives. They are being recorded over and over again, hundreds of times. 

They don't say, I have one definitive version, I don't care about all the others.

It really feels like the start of something big, why else would they have gone through the trouble of reconstructing it from newly improved sources if there are no plans to do something more with it in the near future?

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Also for the prequels? Which releases are these? But these were straight rereleases, with no change as to content / quality whatsoever, weren't they?

This one's slightly different. 

Take a famous classical music piece, from say Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Chopin etc.

Real fans, admirers, lovers of these works of art buy them over and over again, appreciating them, listening to them all their lives. They are being recorded over and over again, hundreds of times. 

They don't say, I have one definitive version, I don't care about all the others.

That is because in classical world they actually re-record new versions of the same works and these interpretations can vary and thus provide new illumination on the works of all these composers. But here it is just the same recordings just spruced up a bit and then resold. I don't deny that an audio update might reveal new things in older recordings but I doubt that at this point such things would be a mind blowing revelation.

Give us complete scores already Disney!

Did he seriously go there? 

The original performances of anything by Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, or Chopin were made over a century ago and were not recorded. All we have are re-recordings. Star Wars scores have their re-recordings of course, but they also have a definitive complete performance. This is what we want. Not repackagings of the same abridged albums over and over. 

Show a little common sense. 

It's a yes from me! I'd love to hear the original programmes remastered and nicely assembled without the ugly analogue edits.

Of course I'd prefer the complete releases but that's only a matter of time :)

Yes probably, if... if the clunky analog edit in "Star Wars Main Theme" has disapeared, so if they RECONSTRUCTED it, using the RIGHT takes this time (not like on the 1993 Anthology Boxset).... and so, and so...

There's another one big clunky edit in the End Titles of Empire Strikes Back too.

46 minutes ago, Incanus said:

That is because in classical world they actually re-record new versions of the same works and these interpretations can vary and thus provide new illumination on the works of all these composers. But here it is just the same recordings just spruced up a bit and then resold. I don't deny that an audio update might reveal new things in older recordings but I doubt that at this point such things would be a mind blowing revelation.

I understand your point and I'm not saying this is a good comparison, but that's basically how I see it.

Anytime something new is released that differs from previous releases and that constitutes an improvement (even if it's just a slight improvement), I'm interested. That's how much I appreciate these scores. 

No need to repeat every time that you want the complete releases. I think we all want that, there's no question about that. That's a given. ;)

I voted "yes probably"

I intend to definitely buy Star Wars and Empire because I do want to hear them sound better than ever (hopefully) and I may get ROTJ and the prequels later on down the road or put them on my birthday or Christmas wishlists. I've always wanted that original ESB OST program on CD.  The original CD release always pissed me off.

36 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

I intend to definitely buy Star Wars and Empire because I do want to hear them sound better than ever (hopefully) and I may get ROTJ and the prequels later on down the road or put them on my birthday or Christmas wishlists. I've always wanted that original ESB OST program on CD.

Indeed!

That one's awesome, and to have it remastered and in noticeably better sound quality, is certainly not something to be dismissed.

I don't think its quite the release for me. i have my eye on something else already. However, if it sounds that much better...

If I end up buying them and they are junk then I just might...

Image result for star wars explosion

35 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I hope they're all available individually rather than in a single big boxset.

Hmm.  It sounds like you didn't read the main post in the other thread very carefully.

Right now I can't stop listening to this. Turn up the volume full-blast, and it's so intense, powerful, overwhelmingly oppressive.

https://youtu.be/TPSZyUKRjUo

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hmm.  It sounds like you didn't read the main post in the other thread very carefully.

I just skimmed through it. Didn't have the time. 

But I know how these companies operate. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they decide to release all 6 in a single boxset, like with the Spielberg Williams Collaboration CDs...