Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon is having a decent sale: three 4K Ultra HD BDs for $40 (basically $13.33 each)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/A2H3HMC60W2NC8?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=514cdf74323c11e9a7129298aa0449350INT

Lots of titles to pick from including many they normally sell for $25

So I hear a lot about the imminent end of physical media and all that. You know, it's not necessarily the stop to physical releases that scares me. It's more the threat that new players will stop being manufactured at all. These devices have a limited lifespan and often die without warning, so if at some point in the future, my multi-region player gives up, or my SACD capable universal player dies, or my 4K blu-ray player croaks... but companies have completely stopped producing them, I'll be in for a problem.

And no, subscribing to a raft of different streaming services isn't what I call a replacement, unless speed/bandwidth issues can be solved (in this country, that's a big ask), and these streaming services expand their libraries to include more films and TV shows and leave them on there permanently, I just can't accept it as a proper alternative.

I was speaking for myself. Others will do what they want. And if someone i am buying a gift for specifies a format then I will oblige. 

I like how the Burton films have a different cover style than the Schumacher movies. It feels tailor-made for the fans who will just pick up the original two.

Batman and Returns should look great in UHD though. Those black levels...

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Awful art.

Yes, they've been stuck on this phoney font and deformed bat logos since the SE DVDs. Anton Furst must be rolling in his grave, the poor fuck. The original theatrical poster covers from the pre-2005 home video releases are perfect. The image of The Joker is the same one from Kenner's Dark Knight Collection Joker figures.

8c4ebb72-dbca-11e5-8ea6-7e4b403732c7.jpg

Consequently, this action figure's outfit seems to be the basis for the Joaquin Phoenix Joker.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:16 PM, dougie said:

14th May release date.

IMG_20190212_161604.jpg

I can honestly say I hope to never see this garbage film ever again. 

Alien 40th Anniversary 4K Blu-ray

230308_medium.jpg

235265_medium.jpg
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will celebrate the 40th anniversary of director Ridley Scott's classic film Alien (1979) with a brand new 4K Blu-ray release, which will be available for purchase on April 23rd. 

Synopsis: In the film that birthed the wildly successful ALIEN franchise, the crew of the deep space tug Nostromo awaken from stasis during a voyage home to Earth when their ship's computer detects what is believed to be an alien distress signal coming from the desolate nearby moon, LV-426. While investigating, one of the crew, Kane (John Hurt), is attacked by an alien creature that latches to his face and he is rushed back to the Nostromo to receive medical treatment. Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), the ship's warrant officer, advises against Kane's return due to quarantine regulations – but her orders are ignored by Ash (Ian Holm), bringing the Nostromo under threat from a mysterious, extraterrestrial apex predator with violent and lethal survival instincts.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, COMPLETED IN 2018 BY 20TH CENTURY FOX AT COMPANY 3/DELUXE ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES CORP., SUPERVISED BY RIDLEY SCOTT AND PAM DERY, WITH THE 4K SCANS DONE AT EFILM
  • Theatrical Version (1979)
  • Director's Cut (2003)
  • 2003 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott and the Cast & Crew
  • 1999 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Final Theatrical Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Composer's Original Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Deleted Scenes
Additional 4K Blu-ray Technical Specs:
  • Audio: English DTS-HD-MA 5.1 / English DTS-HD-MA 4.1 (Theatrical Version Only) / English Surround DTS-HD-MA2 2.0 / Spanish DD 5.1 / French DTS 5.1
  • Optional English SDH, Spanish, and French subtitles for the main feature
10418_tn.jpg
10417_tn.jpg

Read more carefully.  There is a 5.1 mix for both versions, there's just ALSO the original 1979 4.1 mix for the theatrical cut only, as a bonus.

Samsung announced they are getting out of the bluray/4k business, Sony said they will continue for now.

Is this the start of the end for real media?

I want tangible stuff. All those people who counted on ultraviolet got screwed. 

I always pick up the blu-rays with the digital code included so I have two copies of the same movie; one for home viewing and one for on-the-go.

Movies Anywhere works miracles.

27 minutes ago, John said:

I always pick up the blu-rays with the digital code included so I have two copies of the same movie; one for home viewing and one for on-the-go.

Movies Anywhere works miracles.

If you have ultraviot it dies this summer. 

So it will survive on Vudu when the end comes?

Never mind Dig. Bits says Linking through Vudu will keep your cloud media live.

Yes.

I created a UV account and linked it to my Vudu account, as a necessary step in Vudu's "disc-to-digital" program. My library will not be affected by UV's closure.