Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I was thinking of buying this (I held it in my hands) but apparently it's The Ultimate Cut and there's no option to see The Theatrical Cut or The Director's Cut. Hmm ...

I watched the Ultimate Cut for the first time a couple months back, just before I started watching the TV show, and I liked the Ultimate Cut a lot!  The Black Freighter cartoon being integrated in along with new newstand scenes to bridge to it was pretty good

• 5 weeks later...

I’ll get it if the picture quality is upgraded. I guess it’s hit and miss with these older titles, if it’s worth it or not.

If that is the case, then I’ll miss my current blu-ray of Jaws. The case is a book that is - in spite of all the pointless marketing fluff it’s filled with - quite nice.

39072927-F3C0-4ACA-BC1F-E57F6C9ECC50.jpeg

20 minutes ago, rough cut said:

If that is the case, then I’ll miss my current blu-ray of Jaws.

Why? Couldn't you buy the 4k and keep this one too?

I just want to point out that most film restorations are merely done on a software level. They are not full-blown restorations.

You may continue ...

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Come round my house, and say that Alex: I'll "restore" your ass.

Excuse me?! Has the 1st of Februari gave you some extra audacity, Richard? You might be pounding on your chest now but soon you'll be wailing for the good old times. 

The Abyss and True Lies are waiting for Cameron’s approval from what I understand. But he’s obviously off shooting 4 Avatar sequels. Don’t expect to see those 4K releases until he’s done with post-production. 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:42 PM, Koray Savas said:

The Abyss and True Lies are waiting for Cameron’s approval from what I understand. But he’s obviously off shooting 4 Avatar sequels. Don’t expect to see those 4K releases until he’s done with post-production. 

He doesn't have to oversee Avatar hes got 23 months.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:34 PM, rough cut said:

Yeah, I guess but I don’t like having too much stuff lying around.

Treat it like an old book.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, Alexcremers said:

Excuse me?! Has the 1st of Februari gave you some extra audacity, Richard? You might be pounding on your chest now but soon you'll be wailing for the good old times. 

Of course, it will only be a software restoration.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:01 AM, rough cut said:

I’ll get it if the picture quality is upgraded. I guess it’s hit and miss with these older titles, if it’s worth it or not.

If that is the case, then I’ll miss my current blu-ray of Jaws. The case is a book that is - in spite of all the pointless marketing fluff it’s filled with - quite nice.

I tested this out on my new 4K TV and it holds up well. I'm astounded at how far upscaling technology has come in the last five years.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:19 AM, Corellian2019 said:

And grade it using HDR, obviously

I'm increasingly finding this shit to be an unnecessary feature in what I've watched so far. It never looks like this in the cinema.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

Ehhh, aside from the colours looking nice, the whites are glaringly and unnaturally bright in HDR. Looks like it'd kill the OLED phosphors prematurely.

Not on my TV, mister.

Ehhh, aside from the colours looking nice, the whites are glaringly and unnaturally bright in HDR. Looks like it'd kill the OLED phosphors prematurely.

Perhaps you should turn down the brightness on your TV?

Karol

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Perhaps you should turn down the brightness on your TV?

Karol

I have. The HDR whites are still overkill. I flicked it off. Looks better and more natural without it anyway.

And I'm watching a regular DVD on it right now and it looks great! The upscaling tech, jebus!

3 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

I have. The HDR whites are still overkill. I flicked it off. Looks better and more natural without it anyway.

You know the one film where it actually bothered me a bit? The 1989 Batman.

Returns looks fine.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

You know the one film where it actually bothered me a bit? The 1989 Batman.

I’ve heard such conflicting verdicts on UHD 1989 Batman, it’s hard to know whether an upgrade is worth it or not.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:04 AM, Alexcremers said:

Excuse me?! Did the 1st of Februargave you some extra audacity, Richard? You might be pounding on your chest now but soon you'll be wailing for the good old times. 

Sorry about that. It sounded a lot better, in my head.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:51 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

And when are they going to redo the Star Trek movies? 

The one issue would be with ST: TMP DC. Its going to be hard to upscale the "new" effects shots.

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I want Qled not Oled.

QLEDs look nice.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

If he's able to turn HDR off, perhaps Drax is talking about 'Fake HDR', an option for non HDR movies? 

My Oppo player can disable the HDR and output a basic BT.2020 signal which eliminates those blinding HDRisms.

My Oppo player can disable the HDR and output a basic BT.2020 signal which eliminates those blinding HDRisms.

Still, something must be wrong, since I've never experienced or even heard of what you are describing.