Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

If you don't like HDR, you can turn off the HDR signal in the settings of your TV. I can select between 'Off', 'Minimum', 'Medium', 'Maximum' or 'Automatic'. When switching it 'Off', the image is darker and less 'poppy'. In that case, you probably need to adjust the normal contrast and/or brightness settings. 

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I see. Then what's the difference between HDR10 and HDR?

Standard HDR is sort of a general blanket of brightness optimization. Dolby Vision and the like do it on a frame by frame basis.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Standard HDR is sort of a general blanket of brightness optimization. Dolby Vision and the like do it on a frame by frame basis.

From digitaltrends:

- High Dynamic Range is a technology that lets filmmakers and content creators produce videos with increased brightness, greater color accuracy, and better contrast than what was previously possible.

- HDR is a catch-all term that refers to several distinct and competitive technologies. The one with the biggest brand recognition is Dolby Vision. Dolby Labs has done such a good job of marketing Dolby Vision as its own platform, many consumers aren’t even aware that it’s an HDR format.  That shouldn’t be a surprise: TVs that have Dolby Vision technology, are often labeled as “4K HDR TV with Dolby Vision” making it seem as though the two terms aren’t related.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-dolby-vision-hdr-for-tvs/

Did anyone here get Jurassic Park on 4K UHD? I'm interested to hear any comments, specifically with regard to the scenes which use digital vfx.

24 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Did anyone here get Jurassic Park on 4K UHD? I'm interested to hear any comments, specifically with regard to the scenes which use digital vfx.

I have it but haven't watched it yet. Will soon.

28 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

From digitaltrends:

- High Dynamic Range is a technology that lets filmmakers and content creators produce videos with increased brightness, greater color accuracy, and better contrast than what was previously possible.

So much for that! Independence Day looks dark, the colours look more like sepia, and the contrast has been wiped out. To think this junk received such glowering reviews, I can't believe it. Oh but the resolution is great, I suppose.

32 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

From digitaltrends:

- HDR is a catch-all term that refers to several distinct and competitive technologies. The one with the biggest brand recognition is Dolby Vision. Dolby Labs has done such a good job of marketing Dolby Vision as its own platform, many consumers aren’t even aware that it’s an HDR format.  That shouldn’t be a surprise: TVs that have Dolby Vision technology, are often labeled as “4K HDR TV with Dolby Vision” making it seem as though the two terms aren’t related.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-dolby-vision-hdr-for-tvs/

I know Dolby Vision is HDR, but as you know, it’s different than other versions of the tech. 

28 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yes. I think it looks good. The issue seems to be the computer graphics being rendered at a lower resolution than the film is presented (?) and some of those bits do look weird.

The Lost World looks great. They're both an upgrade over the original Blurays.

9 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

So much for that! Independence Day looks dark, the colours look more like sepia, and the contrast has been wiped out. To think this junk received such glowering reviews, I can't believe it. Oh but the resolution is great, I suppose.

I thought you said HDR makes everything way too bright on your TV?

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I thought you said HDR makes everything way too bright on your TV?

Not this movie. It's mastered that poorly. I switched from HDR to non-HDR and back again, and it still looked like shit. It's the worst 4K UHD disc I've watched so far. Which is just cruel, since it's really the movie that sparked my interest in home theatre over 20 years ago.

And generally, no, I never said HDR makes everything bright, but it can make white highlights almost blinding.

Indeed, the Blu-ray does look brighter. 

You can slide the frames from Blu-ray to 4K Ultra to see the difference:

https://www.hdnumerique.com/dossiers/666-test-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-independence-day-tournage-35mm-master-4k.html

Heck, the frame with the radio tuner even looks unsharp when it's in 4K. :eh:

I didn't like the remaster of ID4 either. The colors are washed out and the overall palette has a sickly look about it. That movie had always looked consistent between releases, with an uptick in resolution each time, then that ugly version.

The only shot featured in that review that looks better on the remaster is the alien. But there's another shot of Russell and Miguel where the sky looks white and washed out on the 4K, but blue and vibrant on the old blu-ray. Unacceptable. The UHD version seems to hate the colour red too – it's almost non-existent in the newer version and anything that was red now looks brown/sepia.

15 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I upgraded from my old blu. The improvement is negligible.

9 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The Lost World looks better than JP. I was really pleased with that transfer.

Too bad about the movie though...

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 10:01 PM, rough cut said:

I’ll miss my current blu-ray of Jaws. The case is a book that is - in spite of all the pointless marketing fluff it’s filled with - quite nice.

39072927-F3C0-4ACA-BC1F-E57F6C9ECC50.jpeg

Guess I won’t have to miss the nice book, after all.

I’ll miss the cover art, though...

B46955D3-9FAB-475C-9EF5-5D2B9A94C662.jpeg

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone talk about it, but to my eyes, the current Jaws HD transfer has that DNR look about it. It isn't obnoxious and the movie has always had a soft look about it whenever I've seen it (probably how they were able to pull it off), but the HD transfer has absolutely no grain whatsoever. It looks like they digitally scrubbed it and as such just looks... digital. Hoping the 4K is grainy and sharper. The grainier the better.

It really has that Universal home video look about it. I dunno, whatever DNR methods they applied to Jaws weren't offensively terrible. It just looks fine I guess. Not as bad as some of those Lowry Digital fuck-ups.

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

It's definitely not Predator level bad.

Very little is (except some of those later Star Trek films and the first issue of Patton).

I'm amazed there aren't grain "enhancers" built into players yet, where you can choose to add back a fine level film grain. They could even give options of different film stocks to choose from!

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

It's definitely not Predator level bad.

The UHD has plenty of grain for your enjoyment. The Blu-ray attached to the set... that's another story...

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

The UHD has plenty of grain for your enjoyment. The Blu-ray attached to the set... that's another story...

Karol

Yeah I got the UHD. Looks good. The Australian UHD didn't come with a regular blu-ray disc. Fox started getting stingy in 2018.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm amazed there aren't grain "enhancers" built into players yet, where you are choose to add back a fine level film grain. They could even give options of different film stocks to choose from!

Or a menu for color grading!

Does there exist a Blu Ray disc containing the new, non-DNRed-to-hell edition of Predator, or is it still only available on the 4K disc?

It's annoying that certain titles get stunning 4K UHD remasters but the old problematic Blu-ray masters keep getting recycled (e.g. Predator, first couple of Harry Potters) while other titles get the newer transfers on BD too (Star Wars Saga). What, did they press too many copies of the BD discs and they need to shift them?

I'm aware of that, but why the knit one slip one approach? How much does it cost to repress a Blu-ray with a newer, better master that has already been produced?

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Very little is (except some of those later Star Trek films and the first issue of Patton).

I'm amazed there aren't grain "enhancers" built into players yet, where you can choose to add back a fine level film grain. They could even give options of different film stocks to choose from!

Damn, I just ordered Patton. When was the first issue released?

June 3rd 2008

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Patton-Blu-ray/679/#

Just don't read the review, they seem to think the PQ is stunningly good LOL

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

The remastered (with grain) Patton is this one:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Patton-Blu-ray/55325/

I have the steelbook of that one.

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yep

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not really. I'll just watch it without my glasses on. :)

Just wet them and blow some dust onto the lenses ;)

You see, this is why we need that "grain (on/off)" button on our player remotes.

I’ll probably double dip on Jaws 4K when it comes out.

But I’m guessing it’s the same transfer as the Blu 35th anniversary, as it was stated when that one came out that they’d made a brand new 4K transfer.