Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

Yes, it is for the time being the only way to watch it. Just finished the first disc of Lawrence (the first 139 minutes). OK, this was worth the price. I've actually never seen it before. What a great looking film this is. Truly epic.

Karol

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yes, it is for the time being the only way to watch it. Just finished the first disc of Lawrence (the first 139 minutes). OK, this was worth the price. I've actually never seen it before. What a great looking film this is. Truly epic.

Karol

Is this the restored version?

You know any other version of Lawrence in UHD?

Pity about the five minutes Lean cut out of the film during the restoration. There's at least one piece there which I view as absolutely essential to the film, but Lean thought the dubbing on Jack Hawkins wasn't convincing and left it out. Shame.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Pity about the five minutes Lean cut out of the film during the restoration. There's at least one piece there which I view as absolutely essential to the film, but Lean thought the dubbing on Jack Hawkins wasn't convincing and left it out. Shame.

Does that mean there's an even longer version than 228-minute one?

Karol

I thought I saw the ' complete' road show version on LD.

Guess not.

Still , pretty good Film!'😊

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Is this the restored version?

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Does that mean there's an even longer version than 228-minute one?

Yep. It should be 233 minutes; but that version is sadly unavailable.

11 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Anthony Quale, you mean, or are you referring to the dubbing done when Spielberg did the restoration due to missing audio track on cut scenes?

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

In 4K, the "easter egg" in Anthony Quayle's last scene will be even more visible.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anthony Quale, you mean, or are you referring to the dubbing done when Spielberg did the restoration due to missing audio track on cut scenes?

Not quite.

Lawrence premiered at 221 minutes (plus credits and additional music). Lean edited the picture in a rush, and was displeased with the overall length, and the pacing of the film's second part, which was still being scripted during principal photography. So when producer Sam Spiegel suggested cutting the film, Lean agreed and cut it to 202 minutes.

When work began on the restoration, the sound for the missing 19 minutes had disappeared and the actors had to be redubbed. Sadly, Jack Hawkins had passed away by this point and was dubbed by a voice actor. In the scene where Allenby convinces a traumatized Lawrence to return to Arabia, Hawkins was talking in closeup, almost to the camera, and Lean found the dubbing at that point unconvincing, so he trimmed the scene; and a couple of other shots while he was at it.

As a result, I always find the finished scene, where Lawrence changes his mind, much too ubrupt.

• 4 weeks later...

Aaaash, I miss the days of good ol’ blockbusters and bigger than life action heroes!

I used to own this on DVD, haven’t seen it in at least 15 years! Hmmm, might give it a go...

Nope! Watched the trailer! All the good bits are there, I feel that that pretty much did the job for me, no need to go back again for another 15 years, I guess.

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Soundtrack with the movie? Haven't seen that since Harry Potter 1.

The recent 4K release of E. T. had the OST and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA blu ray collectors edition had the OST album some time ago. 

32 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Damn! I wonder if the new Blu-rays are region-locked (and if they are, whether another company will release the set here in the States)

Arrow released Flash Gordon in the US which is basically a Studio Canal release. So that would be my bet. Oh and the 4K discs themselves are region free. Not sure about bonus discs.

Karol - who just pre-ordered this baby.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

A shame that after 30 years, the X-rated moments of violence cut out of the film still haven't been found

Just finished Vertigo. I am no expert but the film looks fabulous. Unique use of colour really stands out in HDR. This disc alone is worth the price of the 4-film set. Rear Window looks fine too but it was never as great looking. Not in a way that would stand out as much. But you can definitely see the increase in detail. Two more to go.

Also watched Flash Gordon which also looked great.

Karol

On 8/4/2020 at 12:09 AM, Chen G. said:

That's okay. I trust Lean's judgement. :)

• 2 weeks later...

3000 nits?! The 4K HDR version of BR 2049 is below 200 nits. What does Villeneuve have against nits? 

nits, nits, nits, nits, nits, nits, nits, nits, nits, nits. ...

Steve Yedlin (DoP for Last Jedi) and Roger Deakins (DoP for Blade Runner 2049) are both pretty vocal about their dislike of HDR. Which is absolutely fine. Both 4Ks look great and seem to be accurate to the intent of the filmmakers. 

Vincent Teoh from HDTV Test seems obsessed with the idea of nits being the definitive measure of a 4K transfer's value. Not the case imho.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Vincent Teoh from HDTV Test seems obsessed with the idea of nits being the definitive measure of a 4K transfer's value. 

I believe it's how he measures whether something is truly HDR or not.

54 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I believe it's how he measures whether something is truly HDR or not.

Yep, which is perfectly valid.

People fuss about 4K uscales ("fake") versus native ("real"). Why shouldn't they fuss over fake HDR versus real HDR, too?

That's quite besides whether one likes or dislikes HDR.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there no 4K of The VVitch for Europe? It's one of those movies that keeps lingering in the mind long after you've seen it. That's a good sign. 

hobbit4k3d_germany.jpg

lotr4k3d_germany.jpg

Finally this afternoon, our friends at the excellent 4KFilme.de website have discovered new pre-order listings from online retailers (including here and here from jPc in Germany) for The Lord of the Rings: Motion Picture Trilogy and The Hobbit: Motion Picture Trilogy in 4K Ultra HD. We expect the discs to include both the theatrical and extended versions. Note that these are distributed by Universal in Germany and the street date is listed as December 3.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/093020-1200

All right, moving on... I mentioned The Lord of the Rings a minute ago. That’s no accident. I’ve been able to confirm with sources in New Zealand that Weta is expecting to deliver the final 4K masters for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings films (both the theatrical and extended cuts) to Warner Bros. Home Entertainment later this month (as in October). So, fingers crossed, a December Ultra HD release is looking good. Retail leaks suggest that the studio is shooting for 12/1 or thereabouts, but we’re also hearing from multiple industry sources that replication capacity is currently creaking under the load of so many studios trying to get catalog titles out for Q4. Warner themselves have had to delay their Bugs Bunny and The Flintstones Blu-ray releases by a couple weeks each. So until Warner actually makes their official announcement on

these titles, just keep in mind that any street dates you’re hearing now are aspirational. Again, fingers crossed. But LOTR and The Hobbit are 100% on the way to 4K UHD.

One quick additional note: A number of readers have asked if The Hobbit will be presented in high frame rate (HFR) on 4K, like Billy Lynn and Gemini Man. And the answer is probably not. The Hobbit was shot in 48fps. But the 4K UHD format doesn’t support 48fps, so it would have to be converted to 60fps. Billy Lynn and Gemini Man were actually shot in 120fps, which is much easier to convert to 60fps. Converting 48fps would have to involve some kind of 3-2 pull down, which might introduce image artifacts. And it’s also just highly unlikely that Warner would want to take a risk on display/projector compatibility issues on a title this big with a replication schedule this tight. So I would bet the answer is almost certainly no HFR for now. Just FYI.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100120-1500

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Is there no 4K of The VVitch for Europe? It's one of those movies that keeps lingering in the mind long after you've seen it. That's a good sign. 

Why is that an issue? The discs are region free. Just get an import.

Karol

On 10/4/2020 at 4:27 AM, JTWfan77 said:

hobbit4k3d_germany.jpg

lotr4k3d_germany.jpg

Finally this afternoon, our friends at the excellent 4KFilme.de website have discovered new pre-order listings from online retailers (including here and here from jPc in Germany) for The Lord of the Rings: Motion Picture Trilogy and The Hobbit: Motion Picture Trilogy in 4K Ultra HD. We expect the discs to include both the theatrical and extended versions. Note that these are distributed by Universal in Germany and the street date is listed as December 3.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/093020-1200

All right, moving on... I mentioned The Lord of the Rings a minute ago. That’s no accident. I’ve been able to confirm with sources in New Zealand that Weta is expecting to deliver the final 4K masters for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings films (both the theatrical and extended cuts) to Warner Bros. Home Entertainment later this month (as in October). So, fingers crossed, a December Ultra HD release is looking good. Retail leaks suggest that the studio is shooting for 12/1 or thereabouts, but we’re also hearing from multiple industry sources that replication capacity is currently creaking under the load of so many studios trying to get catalog titles out for Q4. Warner themselves have had to delay their Bugs Bunny and The Flintstones Blu-ray releases by a couple weeks each. So until Warner actually makes their official announcement on

these titles, just keep in mind that any street dates you’re hearing now are aspirational. Again, fingers crossed. But LOTR and The Hobbit are 100% on the way to 4K UHD.

One quick additional note: A number of readers have asked if The Hobbit will be presented in high frame rate (HFR) on 4K, like Billy Lynn and Gemini Man. And the answer is probably not. The Hobbit was shot in 48fps. But the 4K UHD format doesn’t support 48fps, so it would have to be converted to 60fps. Billy Lynn and Gemini Man were actually shot in 120fps, which is much easier to convert to 60fps. Converting 48fps would have to involve some kind of 3-2 pull down, which might introduce image artifacts. And it’s also just highly unlikely that Warner would want to take a risk on display/projector compatibility issues on a title this big with a replication schedule this tight. So I would bet the answer is almost certainly no HFR for now. Just FYI.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100120-1500

We're already talking about this here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28770-odds-of-a-4k-uhd-lotr-trilogy-release/&do=findComment&comment=1746021

Let's not split the conversation between two threads

• 1 month later...

I purchased Its A Wonderful Life in 4K. Should be at the house when I get home. I will be interesting to see how an older film will look. I know the presentation of Psycho on Bluray was exceptional but this is my first film from before the 70's in 4K. 

Funny thing is I never have owned it in any format before. So I can only compare it to it being on tv and Ive never seen it commercial free.

• 3 weeks later...