Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

I got the Psycho 4K and it looks grainer than the original Blu-Ray, which was probably DNR'd in that typical Universal way where it unnecessarily scrubs the grain but doesn't look awful. Apparently, the mono mix was faked using the modern redone audio track. Ridiculous!

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you going to smoke it? :D

Well, I can tell you this: I’d love to watch these movies with a couple of cigars and scotch.

That’d be a helluva experience!!!

But I don’t smoke indoors, so... Just whiskey then! :D

By the way, Hitchcock was a huge fan of cigars. Seems to be a good bunch, those cigar smokers...

260AB2AF-4C2F-4AD0-BC8E-246C4173C22E.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 8:14 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I got the Psycho 4K and it looks grainer than the original Blu-Ray, which was probably DNR'd in that typical Universal way where it unnecessarily scrubs the grain but doesn't look awful. Apparently, the mono mix was faked using the modern redone audio track. Ridiculous!

They have a scheme where they replace the faulty discs.

Got this one too @rough cut! It's still in the shrinkwrap....same as about dozen other releases I bought recently.

Karol

Yes, but how modern are they in this case?

I remember the Superman Blu-ray box had the same issue (or something similar), but that had all the SFX re-recorded 30 years after the fact. In that case it was super obvious if you were familiar with the content.

In this case, is it a similar situation? Because I guess that maybe they did a stereo mix in the 60s, for theaters where it was available? I don’t know the story.

I tried googling and visited a few forums but information is scarce.

Is there a comparison out there of the original vs. Remix of Superman? because I didn't hear a significant difference between the Theatrical DVD, Special Edition BD, and Extended Cut in the scene I compared.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

In this case, is it a similar situation? Because I guess that maybe they did a stereo mix in the 60s, for theaters where it was available? I don’t know the story.

They did a 5.1 remix for the Blu-ray in 2010: https://www.slashfilm.com/hitchcocks-psycho-gets-first-time-ever-51-surround-sound-blu-ray-release/

I won't double dip on Psycho. I didn't on Jaws. I will eventually get E.T. and I will dd on any James Cameron releasecas they will be amazing presentations. 

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I won't double dip on Psycho. I didn't on Jaws. I will eventually get E.T. and I will dd on any James Cameron releasecas they will be amazing presentations. 

T2 isn't an amazing presentation, True Lies and the Abyss havent even been released on Blu-ray. The majority of Cameron's movies don't really look great on home video. Titanic looks good, Aliens is extremely blue. Not sure what you're basing Amazing Presentation on.

Why can't the studios just release their ' product' as is, when they ' upgrade' to blu ray?

Our filmed heritage is being mutilated by remixes, cropping/reframing/enhancing  and other atrocities.

Fuck ' em!😠😡

Worst offenders:

BUFFY

THE WIRE

KUNG FU (DVD)

FROM EARTH TO THE MOON.

LONESOME DOVE....

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Psycho is now as old as Hitchcock was in 1960.

It still doesn't need to.be " improved"😠

16 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

T2 isn't an amazing presentation, True Lies and the Abyss havent even been released on Blu-ray. The majority of Cameron's movies don't really look great on home video. Titanic looks good, Aliens is extremely blue. Not sure what you're basing Amazing Presentation on.

Aliens is fine, Titanic on Blu is excellent. I have no problem with T2. Avatar looks stunning on my set. But your very narrow in your thinking, Cameron provides tons of extras some ss wont do. Yes I want True Lies and the Abyss but its not on his schedule 

T2 had way too many special features and Titanic was a bit too EPK press kit, although the cut scenes were cool. No one really cares about Avatar anymore unless they're on vacation at Disneyworld.

7 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'd get a 4K Titanic but James Cameron doesn't seem to care about Bluray

Judging by the home video history of his films he better stays away from supervising those. 😂

Karol

Kino can only release one version of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly on 4K. They are taking votes from fans on this Facebook post to decide which one they will do.

Personally, the theatrical cut reigns supreme. Leone never intended those scenes to be included, and they are poorly dubbed with elderly Eastwood and Wallach performances. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 2:33 AM, Koray Savas said:

Kino can only release one version of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly on 4K. They are taking votes from fans on this Facebook post to decide which one they will do.

Personally, the theatrical cut reigns supreme. Leone never intended those scenes to be included, and they are poorly dubbed with elderly Eastwood and Wallach performances. 

What are you talking about? The original theatrical cut is the Italian premiere release, which was cut down to various lengths in other countries. From Wikipedia:

The original Italian domestic version was 177 minutes long, but the international version was shown at various lengths. Most prints, specifically those shown in the United States, had a runtime of 161 minutes, 16 minutes shorter than the Italian premiere version, but others, especially British prints, ran as short as 148 minutes.

13 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Regarding the faulty audio track on Psycho 4K.

I contacted Universal and they promptly sent me a new disc with the correct mono track.

Flawless customer service.

How was the mono track faulty?

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How was the mono track faulty?

On 12/10/2020 at 3:14 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

the mono mix was faked using the modern redone audio track. 

On 1/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Corellian2019 said:

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are you talking about? The original theatrical cut is the Italian premiere release, which was cut down to various lengths in other countries. From Wikipedia:

Yes. The cut of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly that is referred to as the "extended cut" is Leone's cut of choice for the audiences of his native country: its something that he very much intended for.

That doesn't mean its not an inferior product to the US theatrical cut (which it unfortunately is) nor that the subpar dubbing back to English would have satisfied Leone.

@Koray Savas seems to be conflating this with Once Upon a Time in America, the longer cuts of which (a 4-hour extended cut and a 4.5-hour cut that's in the works) seems to be derived from work-in-progress edits of the film rather than anything Leone actually wanted to release.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

That doesn't mean its not an inferior product to the US theatrical cut (which it unfortunately is) nor that the subpar dubbing back to English would have satisfied Leone.

I've never had a problem with the dubbing, and I don't see what else is inferior.

I've only seen it once or twice, but from memory there's a whole non-sequitor sequence about Angel-Eyes meeting with his old gang. It was always a leisurely-paced film (which I generally like) but the extended cut goes just that little bit too far with it; and I'm speaking as someone who generally prefers extended cuts of movies.

The pacing is significantly better than in the extended RotK, IMO.

If the dubbing of the extended English language release is annoying, I suggest watching the Italian release with captions instead. In either case, the dubbing doesn't fit the lip movement perfectly, since the actors spoke their native languages on set. So the Italian version had to dub some actors from English to Italian, and vice versa for the English language versions.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Regarding the faulty audio track on Psycho 4K.

I contacted Universal and they promptly sent me a new disc with the correct mono track.

Flawless customer service.

I also received the corrected disc. And yes, when you compare the two it's obvious.

Karol

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 8:48 AM, Chen G. said:

I've only seen it once or twice, but from memory there's a whole non-sequitor sequence about Angel-Eyes meeting with his old gang. It was always a leisurely-paced film (which I generally like) but the extended cut goes just that little bit too far with it; and I'm speaking as someone who generally prefers extended cuts of movies.

Yeah.

But, the scene where he visits a derelict Confederate Fort really improves the narrative.

Plus, the actor who dubbed Van Cleef did a credible job.

There is some nice bits with the drunken Union officer that were dropped that added to that scene.

Otherwise the U.S. version is the best one

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

...fucking hell. The bastards tease all those apparently already scanned and documented material for ToD and TLC for a minute at the end of On Set with Raiders! But why put actual effort in when we can just reprint the same goddamn disc? COME ON!

"Nobody is making you buy it"

- Holko ( responding to complaints about excessive material on score expansions)

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

"Nobody is making you buy it"

- Holko

I used that for when people actually put in effort but you can't appreciate that because it's not exactly to your specific tastes and arbitrary criteria. In this case it's the set creators' incredible laziness that is giving less reasons to buy it.

I had voted "No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough" in this poll, but I just bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264849119450

for my 1080p laptop.

I know it's not 4K (I have a 4k monitor back at home), but still...

Now, I pray it works and it shows the UHD discs.

I bought it because some films get new remasters that aren't available on Bluray but only on 4K Bluray. 

My first purchase was Saving Private Ryan.

As for the Indy films, I already have them on bluray, i am not gonna try to substitute everything again, as I did  before with DVDs..