Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

How much better is a bluray played on a UHD machine going to look?

Seems to be a slight upgrade in resolution ( like a DVD player on a BR machine)

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Wait! Blu-ray is only a slight upgrade to DVD? Come to my place, I would like to demonstrate you the opposite.

There might be more context but if I'm deciphering correctly, he's just comparing automatic upscaling and how it's not as good as a native master. A bluray played in a 4k player, upscaled to 4k, is not true 4k just like a DVD played in a bluray player upscaled to 720p is not true HD.

I guess the question is about upscaling? If playing a regular BD on a UHD player and a 4K TV does any magic on the 1080p disc resolution?

I have the Sony sony ubp-x800m2, which specifications includes an upscaling feature.

Playing any BD looks great on my set. Do they look better now, compared to my old, non-UHD set up? No idea, but things look good.

Do they look 4K, though? No.

According to the Tv read out the bd resolved at greater than 1080.

I forget how much.

Would a true 4k disc look better?

Doubtful for a cgi animated feature.

Possibly for a movie shot on film stock

49 minutes ago, rough cut said:

There are thousands of reviews comparing BD discs with UHD discs.

Just google it and find out.

Too easy.

30 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's still all relative because the difference might not be all that clear depending on the quality and size of your TV.

Well, on Bruce's CRT everything looks great.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, on Bruce's CRT everything looks great.

Exactly! I love my Samsung 51" plasma screen, Blu-rays look great on it, but when I play the same discs on my 65" OLED screen, I suddenly see all the flaws and then I'm not so happy anymore. That's why I love the picture quality of all these contemporary 4K productions, even when it's on Netflix, they look way more perfect. 

Nothing is perfect.

I've watched WS monitors where you had to sit directly in the middle and monitors that could only be viewed in a dark room

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

None of them.

All of them

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

16x9?

Whatever the case, once they decided to build bigger , they needed to build slimmer.

CRT is still the superior tech.

Yes, they were 16:9, and the maximum size available on the consumer market was 36 inches.

On 4/25/2021 at 3:23 AM, AC1 said:

My answer would be 'no'. The difference between DVD and Blu-ray was more significant. 

Or did someone already say that?

I agree with Alex. I don't think we can continue to perceive the difference the higher the resolution. Its one thing to walk in a box store and be wowed by 4k and now 8k tvs showing demonstrative content designed to wow the senses while a movie itself is designed to tell a story and even though certain visuals can acheive the wow factor at some point the films draws you in by story. 

The best 4K can do for older films is create a more accurate representation of fresh 35mm print, as if you are watching that print, only it's on a TV screen, and without the digital compression artifacts that result from watching a lower resolution video on a high resolution screen.

8 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

The best 4K can do for older films is create a more accurate representation of fresh 35mm print, as if you are watching that print, only it's on a TV screen, and without the digital compression artifacts that result from watching a lower resolution video on a high resolution screen.

And it always helps when they just upgrade the old HD transfers, many of which were average or lackluster.

It's nice to see sometimes some of my old DVDs that were reference quality at the time still hold up in watchability. Yet for some reason, SD signals on cable TV and YouTube often look like a pixelated mess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 4:58 PM, Unlucky Bastard said:

It's nice to see sometimes some of my old DVDs that were reference quality at the time still hold up in watchability. Yet for some reason, SD signals on cable TV and YouTube often look like a pixelated mess.

Right.

SD doesn't upconvert to the ws digital ratio on satellite and cable.

So you're watching a stretched, blown up version.

I am planning on getting a 65 inch 4K TV and have a few questions regarding 4K and blu ray playback.

I have a big collection of regular blu rays, including LOTR EE, Hobbit EE, HP, Bond, Dark Knight trilogy, GOT, Avatar etc. I don’t plan on getting a 4K player (as I don’t want to or have the budget to upgrade my movie collection to UHD) and will instead get a Sony player with 4K upscaling.

Does anyone have any experience with upscaling and how blu rays look on a 4K TV. Will it look less good than an older 1080P TV? 

I also still have a few DVDs, like the Indiana Jones collection. I’m guessing that DVDs would not look good at all on a 4K TV? I don’t have many DVDs and the upgrade price from DVD to regular blu ray isn’t so steep so DVDs would not be an issue to upgrade.

I went from a 50" Plasma/Blu-ray player to a 65" OLED/Blu-ray 4K  player and felt that older movies on Blu-ray show their age much more on the latter. You can see their flaws (grain, noise, etc) much easier. Needless to say it gets even worse with DVDs. DVD was never made with a 65" screen in mind. Newer movies on Blu-ray, like Blade Runner: 2049, look pretty good though.